So... What's everyone think of the 3/8 stubby?

07Sierra

Works good. But it’s not that much shorter. You didn’t say if you mean Milwaukee stubby or Dewalt Atomic stubby.

The other option is the right angle “wrench” thing but it is kind of a dud. It is shorter yet. If you use it correctly though all it does is speed up tightening and loosening. Then you still have to use a hand wrench for final tightening. Used incorrectly you ignore that and use it as a bulky wrench but the gearing gives out quickly. A guy on my crew had one but not impressive at all. It seemed like a good idea but he eventually gave up and went back to traditional impacts. The window where the compact length helps doesn’t justify lugging another tool and we work out of service trucks so every tool has to be hauled to most job sites.

Thing is both get in MORE places while not sacrificing enough torque in a mid range 3/8” impact but in today’s compact world where every fastener is a pain, there is still a lot of hand wrenching. You have to ask yourself if you already have a compact impact how much shorter is it really. If you need a new compact impact then go for it but otherwise I wouldn’t buy it just for 1/4”. It’s not like the difference between a high and mid torque or 1/2” vs 3/8” or even brushed vs brushless. It’s 3/8” vs 3/8”. No real downside either so it becomes your daily driver not the special one you use rarely.

Automotive and AP mechanics are always searching for yet another tool to get to yet another poorly designed fastener. They are happy when it gets them another 1-2% of the world. Glad I’m doing industrial work where my big problems are when we have to break out the torque multipliers and hydraulic bolt stretchers.

I'd second paulengr. When they first came out I thought I had to have one so I bought the ½" stubby.  I thought it was the tool that would make me carry m12 on my service truck but it didn't.  For my work I find that often it's too wide to fit into corners to tighten fasteners on a flange.  I use the slimmer compact impact wrenches 90% of the time.  Every once in a while you run across a fastener that the stubby is the tool to use but its few and far between for me.  An auto guy might have a different opinion though.

• Like 1

I had a couple m12 batteries so I figured why not. I have a big commercial mower to take care of so it has been a great addition to the tool collection. I previously did not have an impact wrench. I am confident that just about any bolt or lug on the mower can be removed with the 3/8 stubby. Was it my best option? maybe, maybe not but either way I like the tool.