New MX Fuel platform

Jjwillac

Milwaukee announced MX Fuel, a new cordless platform for light equipment.  They are starting out with a power supply, 14" cut-off saw, breaker, core drill, tower light, and drum snake.  The batteries are ginormous, but the goal is to power light industrial equipment, which they are going to great lengths to distinguish from cordless power tools. Thoughts? What would people like to see on a cordless "light equipment" platform?

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/milwaukee-mx-fuel-equipment-batteries/50750/

EGOs 56 V batteries work good with outdoor power equipment.

I’ve used 8D batteries on boats, dozers, fire trucks, generators, you name it. Very reasonable price. I know they weigh 120 lbs but if my scrawny 180 lb butt can lug them from pickup to dock to work boat to dredge, they are plenty portable and don’t cost megabucks for lithium ion.

Yep these tools are definitely another step above your 36v and 60v tools pricing wise.  There aren't too many 18v tools I cant "justify" buying if I want to as a construction company owner but these mx fuels are expensive enough you're going to have to have a specific need to be buying these.

i am a small time contractor in upsate ny. i myself would not have any use for these tools, but love to see this kind of technology come out. these tools are geared toward the mega size construction jobs where i can see these tools being popular. its a small cost for them. these tools are a whole new animal and a whole new battery platform makes alot of sense to me

• Like 1

It is nice and all but another battery platform from the company who said would use one battery for all your tools. Milwaukee  said they wouldn't need higher voltage or tools powered by two batteries. 

On 11/6/2019 at 7:00 PM, JMosher said:

I’m not sure about the power supply since most tools are cordless now?

m18/m12 battery chargers.

• Like 2

Will be interesting to try these. As I said a while ago, 18v doesn't cut it. I couldn't even use my M18 grinder the other day without both the 12 and 9ah batteries cutting out after a few minutes of heavy cuttibg rendering the tool useless until they cooled down. My Flexvolt, Husqvarna and metabo never have this problem. Interested to see dewalts response to this. Those packs are huge though! 

• Like 1

Will be interesting to try these. As I said a while ago, 18v doesn't cut it. I couldn't even use my M18 grinder the other day without both the 12 and 9ah batteries cutting out after a few minutes of heavy cuttibg rendering the tool useless until they cooled down. My Flexvolt, Husqvarna and metabo never have this problem. Interested to see dewalts response to this. Those packs are huge though! 

Never had that issue and I’m using the smaller XC 5.0s. Back off on the pressure. I can bury my Dewalt corded grinder too so must mean I need 240 V?

Seriously with ANY batteries we are working with essentially the same 1.2-1.4 V Lithium ion cells. For a given motor more voltage means more torque and possibly speed up to a point. Brushless DC means we either have we apply AC and rectify it into DC on the rotor. Current on the rotor equals torque minus a small counter EMF. Since resistance is pretty much fixed torque = voltage. But I can get a bigger motor which usually means longer fir these kinds of motors where effectively I’m “stacking” motors in parallel on the shaft. This is more efficient than just cranking the voltage up on a single motor. For the battery it has a true resistance limit and a nasty problem of cooling as we convert stored chemical energy into electrons flowing. So at some point if we want higher current we must parallel cells or battery packs. There are issues though with parallel strings the worst of which is stronger ones shift the load onto weaker ones and cause them to fail early so electronics or bigger cells must be involved,

Finally there is the wire/connector problem. The reason that utilitities run much higher voltages on power lines is that for a given piece of wire I hit a thermal limit at some point because losses and heat are proportional to the square of the current. With voltage as long as I can insulate against arcing there is no upper limit so I can put as much power as I want through the same size wire. So with 18 V I have to keep adding more contacts to get higher currents out. With Flexvolt i use the same contacts but jumper (rewire) more batteries in series. But there is one important difference. More batteries in parallel increases the load on the wiring (connections) but not much else. More batteries in series greatly increases the series resistance of the overall battery which limits output current. So I can get more power out if I accept a voltage limit over higher voltages.

Finally we get to electronics. Every power tool has some electronics to if nothing else prevent the tool from catching on fire if it shorts out.’with brushless it must convert DC into AC AND it has the option to easily convert it into higher or lower voltages in the conversion process. This is called an inverter and the reason you can plug a small box into your vehicle 12 VDC system then plug your 120 VAC charger into it.

So it should be obvious...we don’t really care what the battery voltage is up to a point.

So the question is are we going to go low voltage high current or high voltage low current? It changes our connectors. It changes the battery internal resistance. But not the motor side since with brushless we are freed from voltage limits.

If it was so great Milwaukee would have stuck with or increased their 28 V tool line that they’ve all but killed off.
  • Like 1

That is exactly their problem isn't it? I believe they need to draw much more current to get the same power output as in a higher voltage tool with less current. With the same pressure or even more using 36v and 54v, the tools simply carry on working. There are many others who have the same issues I suffered, mostly with the M18 chainsaw on YouTube.

The battery cooling system in Husqvarna is very well engineered. Just about every tool cools the battery when in use. Milwaukee do not even fan cool their chargers and it took forever for each battery to cool down. There is an electronic freak who pushes metabo lihd batteries to over 100 amps and they survive, I'd say mainly due to the increased build quality of the batteries.

You can see tear downs online where Milwaukee have to use beefed up motors and wiring to cope with the extra heat, but the problem is right there, they don't cope.

Regardless of all of the tech, using the tools is proof in the pudding. I have one of each and the Milwaukee lag behind in every single application at the moment.

Back to the new platform, did anyone else notice the guy using the jackhammer is built like a tank? I wonder how heavy the unit is? Surely they could come up with a slimmer battery pack design!? My electric Husqvarna demo saws are tiny in comparison, I could only see a need for the demo saw if you couldn't get power at all.. in saying that I'm sure I'll end up with every tool in the line up, with the exception of the core drilling machine 😆

But wait, Milwaukee claims all you need is 18v . Another battery platform ? 12v, 18v,26v,72v ? ...Mx makes more sense then flexvolt? Flexvolt was “ game changing” still is unmatched in power and performance by anyone, ( except the sawzall) no m18 hd is not even close, no the new rear handle m18 is not anywhere near the 577...

light equipment? It does not have the power Or runtime.for light equipment...gonna need generators, which are half the cost of this new battery platform. ....

Always fun to watch Milwaukee with gen 1,2,3,4? Hey buy the 18v circ it’s as good as Dewalt, next year, hey get the new Hd circ saw with the new HO batteries, hey wait next year get the new circ saw....

at least Dewalt engineers tools Once, { flexvolt} that last years and still beat anything out there. ...M12 is great , though Dewalt 12v is more powerful and smaller.hope they keep the line going..

• Like 1

If you have both platforms, you can't really deny the fact that Flexvolt is superior to M18 in terms of power and runtime as well as battery performance. 

I still don't know why the batteries are so large though, unless they just look extra large in the videos it's hard to tell.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 11:36 PM, Framer joe said:

Dewalt engineers tools Once, { flexvolt} that last years and still beat anything out there

Not always true. I don't want to argue about it but the "Nobody competes with DEWALT", "DeWALT is always the best", or "DeWALT never breaks or have problems" is kinda getting old.

DeWALT has good tools that beat other tools and DeWALT has bad tools that don't beat other tools. DeWALT has tools that break and DEWALT has tools that don't break. Period end of story.

It’s weird to me how fanboyism in tools sometimes rivals what I remember seeing in video game consoles. Some posts here aren’t significantly different from what I remember seeing from teenagers arguing PS2 vs GameCube back in the day.

When talking about light equipment, having an entirely different battery system makes a lot of sense. The amount of energy consumed necessitates MUCH bigger batteries. May as well optimize the voltage used along the way. It just is what it is. I don’t ding Milwaukee on this decision one iota.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ToolBane said:

It’s weird to me how fanboyism in tools sometimes rivals what I remember seeing in video game consoles. Some posts here aren’t significantly different from what I remember seeing from teenagers arguing PS2 vs GameCube back in the day.

When talking about light equipment, having an entirely different battery system makes a lot of sense. The amount of energy consumed necessitates MUCH bigger batteries. May as well optimize the voltage used along the way. It just is what it is. I don’t ding Milwaukee on this decision one iota.

The bit wars lol!!

• 2 weeks later...

@Jronman...never said Dewalt beats everyone..at everything,,,but..please tell me what tools beat any flexvolt tool except the sawzall???? As for 20v tools , every tool challenge I see has Dewalt 1 or 2 ( or top 3...which is usually their older 887 or 791)..heck even the 996 is still one of the best. The 20v planer, sander, router, grinders, oscillator, etc. are all top 2...

I actually have more money in Red then Dewalt, but I stand by my statements. Dewalt engineers great tools that stand the test of time..they don’t have gen 1,2,3,4..every year.

As a framer they are all abused everyday. Along with makita and Milwaukee...

For yourself and Diy guys any brand will do. But not for professional builders. As I’ve said if I was a plumber I’d buy all Red...fabrication, all Metabo...and Makita is just damn good at everything and has the best impacts.....but you can see for yourself all these companies changing battery platforms to keep up with flexvolt. 
     Milwaukee just decided to forget flexvolt and jump to “ corporations “  large industrial work..because the 72v line is clearly not meant for regular construction, framing, remodeling...no builder is buying that stuff. But maybe industrial sites would. Elec companies, not sure...

Fan boy? Is it a fanboy if you have less yellow then red, and a boatload of teal. it’s about business, what gets the job done the fastest.and lasts. Definitely not about batteries, cuz yellow are ridiculously priced compared to red...but teal doesn’t have large ah batteries yet.(6ah Max) so that limits makitas cordless line.

• Like 1