Which circular saw is best for the money?

dlangh

Hi,

My son is now doing general contract work and he is asking for a cordless circular saw for Xmas.  I found 3 that I am considering, all Milwaukee and all the M18 (he already has a lot of tools in that line).  The three that I found are: 2631, 2732 and 2830.  I am leaning toward the 2732 but it's not entirely clear what advantage the 2830 provides.  It's $20 more but from reading the specs it doesn't seem to have any real advantages except for the physical shape of the tool.  If anyone thinks the 2631 would be fine, I'd like to hear that as well, but my thinking is that since he'll be using this tool all the time better that he get the best tool for the job.

Thanks!

Don

I would say you are correct in considering either the 2732 or the 2830. Both of those are the current best saws from Milwaukee. The main difference being blade orientation. Some people (mainly east coast) prefer a blade right sidewinder style and others (mainly west coast) tend to like a blade left like a skill saw.

If you can find out what he currently uses,  left or right side blade, that should be able to help you decide easily which of the two to get. 

• 3 weeks later...

Milwaukee has a solid set of Circular saws that will cut and perform well all day. Best to find out his preference for the sidewinder (2732) or the worm drive style (2830). I use and love the sidewinder but I'm a lefty so blade right suits me perfectly. I would be uncomfortable with the blade left worm style myself, no matter how well it performs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2019 at 5:46 AM, dlangh said:

Hi,

My son is now doing general contract work and he is asking for a cordless circular saw for Xmas.  I found 3 that I am considering, all Milwaukee and all the M18 (he already has a lot of tools in that line).  The three that I found are: 2631, 2732 and 2830.  I am leaning toward the 2732 but it's not entirely clear what advantage the 2830 provides.  It's $20 more but from reading the specs it doesn't seem to have any real advantages except for the physical shape of the tool.  If anyone thinks the 2631 would be fine, I'd like to hear that as well, but my thinking is that since he'll be using this tool all the time better that he get the best tool for the job.

Thanks!

Don

The best is Dewalt DCS575 FlexVolt.

https://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-dcs575t2-flexvolt-60v-max-cordless-lithium-ion-7-1-4-in.-circular-saw-kit-with-batteries/dewndcs575t2.html

They’ve upped the power on this there’s a newer model now under I think DCS578

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, D U R A M A X said:

Yet ProTools rates the Milwaukee better...https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/cordless/saws-cordless/milwaukee-m18-fuel-circular-saw-2732-review/40724/  

It boils down to what battery system you own (or would prefer to invest in), the comfort level you have with a 3yr VS 5yr warranty and personal preferences, Both companies build great products.

Pros

• Fastest cutting circular saw we’ve tested
  • Full feature set, including dust port attachment
  • Solid ergonomics

Cons

• No major drawbacks 

Speed Test Runs

• Milwaukee 2732: 10.74 seconds
  • DeWalt FlexVolt Worm Drive Style: 11.36 seconds*
  • Makita 18V X2 XSH06 (new sidewinder style): 13.54
  • Makita 18V X2 Rear-Handle Saw: 18.64 seconds*
  • Skilsaw SPT77WM worm drive: 27.96

• 4 weeks later...

"I don't care how ProTool it rates,the design and ergonomics are terrible in Milwaukee!"@Disingenuoustalk.com! Team yellow, Red, Blue & Green bla, bla, bla.

It's a circular saw, last time I checked they didn't reinvent the wheel. Got news for you, if your cross cutting 4x8 sheet goods all day, they both suck, because of the bubble butt battery location digging into your forearm while your reaching across, but you'll never see a review showing a guy cross cutting a sheet of plywood/osb!

I've used both Milwaukee and Dewalt sidewinders and they are both powerful enough to be cutting framing material and are up to par for the diy'er, handyman and yes the home improvement carpenter building an addition on a house or building a deck, however if your on a site building town houses all day and have a stationary cut bench/location set up, then go electric. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That’s why the youtubers are a little better. At some point unlike Protool and Toolguyd you have to actually show the tool being used. None of them are contractors. That’s the issue...they have never used and often never touched a tool.

As far as metal sawzall was invented for electrical demo. Good for that.

I did panel cut outs for years with a grinder. The backside will be u mess but it looks decent from the front. A saber saw does much cleaner IF you have room for it. A circular saw is even better if you have room.

On conduit and strut cuts saber saws bust blades very easy. Grinder or bandsaw or circular works good. Bandsaw is best but it’s sort of a non-multitasker which is why I’m not a fan. It’s just one more tool. I hate bandsaws. Talk about horrible ergonomics no matter the brand or design.

I’ve tried electric shears and a hand punch. Shears are OK on flat sheet metal ONLY. Otherwise they suck.

Have the Milwaukee 5.5” circular now. Cuts fast and cuts most everything, Good tool but I’ve heard the gearboxes wear out. Kind of becoming a go to over the grinder, saber, and bandsaw.

My next tool I want to try is a nibbler. I really think it will be the ultimate cutout tool for sheet metal except it doesn’t do really straight cuts and has limited thickness. I wouldn’t go under 10 gauge for electrical. “Max” 14 gauge when so many panels are 14 or 16 gauge is a big concern. So that puts me into the $1000 roofer nibblers.