• Cresent.jpg

dlangh

Which circular saw is best for the money?

Hi,

My son is now doing general contract work and he is asking for a cordless circular saw for Xmas.  I found 3 that I am considering, all Milwaukee and all the M18 (he already has a lot of tools in that line).  The three that I found are: 2631, 2732 and 2830.  I am leaning toward the 2732 but it's not entirely clear what advantage the 2830 provides.  It's $20 more but from reading the specs it doesn't seem to have any real advantages except for the physical shape of the tool.  If anyone thinks the 2631 would be fine, I'd like to hear that as well, but my thinking is that since he'll be using this tool all the time better that he get the best tool for the job.

Thanks!

Don

I would say you are correct in considering either the 2732 or the 2830. Both of those are the current best saws from Milwaukee. The main difference being blade orientation. Some people (mainly east coast) prefer a blade right sidewinder style and others (mainly west coast) tend to like a blade left like a skill saw.

If you can find out what he currently uses,  left or right side blade, that should be able to help you decide easily which of the two to get. 

Milwaukee has a solid set of Circular saws that will cut and perform well all day. Best to find out his preference for the sidewinder (2732) or the worm drive style (2830). I use and love the sidewinder but I'm a lefty so blade right suits me perfectly. I would be uncomfortable with the blade left worm style myself, no matter how well it performs.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 5:46 AM, dlangh said:

Hi,

My son is now doing general contract work and he is asking for a cordless circular saw for Xmas.  I found 3 that I am considering, all Milwaukee and all the M18 (he already has a lot of tools in that line).  The three that I found are: 2631, 2732 and 2830.  I am leaning toward the 2732 but it's not entirely clear what advantage the 2830 provides.  It's $20 more but from reading the specs it doesn't seem to have any real advantages except for the physical shape of the tool.  If anyone thinks the 2631 would be fine, I'd like to hear that as well, but my thinking is that since he'll be using this tool all the time better that he get the best tool for the job.

Thanks!

Don

The best is Dewalt DCS575 FlexVolt.

https://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-dcs575t2-flexvolt-60v-max-cordless-lithium-ion-7-1-4-in.-circular-saw-kit-with-batteries/dewndcs575t2.html

They’ve upped the power on this there’s a newer model now under I think DCS578

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, D U R A M A X said:

Yet ProTools rates the Milwaukee better...https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/cordless/saws-cordless/milwaukee-m18-fuel-circular-saw-2732-review/40724/  

It boils down to what battery system you own (or would prefer to invest in), the comfort level you have with a 3yr VS 5yr warranty and personal preferences, Both companies build great products.

Pros

• Fastest cutting circular saw we’ve tested
  • Full feature set, including dust port attachment
  • Solid ergonomics

Cons

• No major drawbacks 

Speed Test Runs

• Milwaukee 2732: 10.74 seconds
  • DeWalt FlexVolt Worm Drive Style: 11.36 seconds*
  • Makita 18V X2 XSH06 (new sidewinder style): 13.54
  • Makita 18V X2 Rear-Handle Saw: 18.64 seconds*
  • Skilsaw SPT77WM worm drive: 27.96