Flexvolt battery issues

Don Willson

I have a few 20 volt tools and a few flexvolt tools. I have a 60 volt flexvolt chainsaw that stopped running the other day. I tried all six of my batteries in it, 3 x 6 ah and 3 x 9 ah all to no avail. The batteries work fine in my 20 volt impact drivers and drills. When I tried to use my 4 month old flexvolt worm drive style saw it would not work on any of my flexvolt batteries, nor would other flexvolt tools I tried. My son tested this saw with his 6 ah flexvolt battery and it worked fine. We tried the other flexvolt tools with his battery and they all worked, as did the 20 volt tools.... when we tried testing his working 6ah flexvolt battery in the flexvolt chainsawsaw, it not only would not run the chainsaw but would not run any other of the flexvolt tools afterwards but operates the 20 volts tools normally. All batteries are fully charged as well.

Frustrated 

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect the flexvolt chainsaw has done something to the internal battery cicuitry. I guess I hoped someone here may recognize the issue and have a remedy for it. I live on a remote island in the Norygern BC coast and the nearest dewalt repair facility js several days travel rom here.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just purchased the Dewalt 60V blower. I went to charge it after I figured out how to remove the red cover. As soon as I plugged it in, the red light did not blink but stayed red. Based on this information I assumed it was fully charged. Without 10 min's it died. I pushed the button in the back and only one green light would lite up. So I put it back in the charger and also decided to charge it inside since the manual warns about charging it below 65 degrees. The red light stays red and the one green light says on. I thought it was suppose to blink when charging. I read a lot on line about people complaining about battery issues after I purchased it. Hopefully the battery is not defective.

3 hours ago, Jason Rocks said:

I just purchased the Dewalt 60V blower. I went to charge it after I figured out how to remove the red cover. As soon as I plugged it in, the red light did not blink but stayed red. Based on this information I assumed it was fully charged. Without 10 min's it died. I pushed the button in the back and only one green light would lite up. So I put it back in the charger and also decided to charge it inside since the manual warns about charging it below 65 degrees. The red light stays red and the one green light says on. I thought it was suppose to blink when charging. I read a lot on line about people complaining about battery issues after I purchased it. Hopefully the battery is not defective.

Sounds like a defective battery 

I went back to Home Depot and exchanged the entire blower with a new unit. Guess what? Same problem with the new unit as well. The battery does not charge even though there is only one green light. I have to take it back again. ☹️ I might try to test the third unit battery at the store. If the third one does not work, I will have to go with a Milwaukee blower.

I went back to Home Depot for a third time and this time we tested the battery. The third unit also did not blink when charging and the green light in the back of the battery was only showing one light. This was a very disappointing experience. This was my first Dewalt product and now my confidence with them has gone down.

They had a Ryobi battery blower at the store that has a little less power but it was $50 cheaper.When I plugged in the battery to their charger, it blinked and the green light on the battery in the back showed it was charging. Oh well. Live and Learn.

• 6 months later...
On 12/1/2019 at 3:53 AM, Don Willson said:

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect the flexvolt chainsaw has done something to the internal battery cicuitry. I guess I hoped someone here may recognize the issue and have a remedy for it. I live on a remote island in the Norygern BC coast and the nearest dewalt repair facility js several days travel rom here.

Hi, I have had the same problem but with a 54/60v grinder. The trigger failed and shorted out my battery, now the batteries are only able to be used on 18/20v.

I opened the battery and found a fusable link to be blown. I soldered I piece of wire back in the place of the link and the battery work again on 54v. If you are going to do this, note that you are bypassing the safety feature of the battery and if there is a fault in one of your tools again it will not blow the fuse but possibly overheat the battery and run the risk of melting or exploding. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 9:57 AM, Peter Soro said:

Hi, I have had the same problem but with a 54/60v grinder. The trigger failed and shorted out my battery, now the batteries are only able to be used on 18/20v.

I opened the battery and found a fusable link to be blown. I soldered I piece of wire back in the place of the link and the battery work again on 54v. If you are going to do this, note that you are bypassing the safety feature of the battery and if there is a fault in one of your tools again it will not blow the fuse but possibly overheat the battery and run the risk of melting or exploding. 

Hope this helps. 

hi mate. where did you find the fusable link? maybe we can get some information on where it is and how to maybe attach a miniature inline fuse to the same rating to remedy the safety issue. 

I think my flexvolt battery has also blown its fusible link, but i cant find where it is! can you please insert some images to the reply, it would be very helpful and we could maybe figure out a fuse solution. 

• 7 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 2:56 AM, Jase_ said:

hi mate. where did you find the fusable link? maybe we can get some information on where it is and how to maybe attach a miniature inline fuse to the same rating to remedy the safety issue. 

I think my flexvolt battery has also blown its fusible link, but i cant find where it is! can you please insert some images to the reply, it would be very helpful and we could maybe figure out a fuse solution. 

If you have the lights on the batter facing you it will be on the right hand side, right under the cover, when you take the cover off it's on the top right side and has a 42G stamped on it. 

16321848839738798340033469761853.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 10/3/2020 at 5:57 PM, Peter Soro said:

Hope this helps. 

were you able to repair the grinder?