Cordless Brushless Chainsaw

Ed Yami

Purchased a new cordless brushless 12 inch chainsaw 3 weeks ago. I'm very pleased with the performance of the saw. This model has the tool less chain tensioner. The problem I'm having is the tension adjustment is limited. I'm on my third chain because the first two apparently stretched to the point where the tensioner has been driven into the hardstop. I called the Ryobi service line and the tech said it was chain stretch and recommended I take it to a Ryobi authorized service center to have them verify saw is not defective. The tech at the service center confirmed no saw defects and recommended I buy a replacement chain. Did that and the I was able to adjust chain tension again. After several hours of use, I was in the same situation. Replaced that chain, and then was able to adjust its tension. Three chains in three weeks seems excessive. My 10" Ryobi saw used maybe 4 chains in 5 years. Anyone else having this problem?

Pablo82. Thanks for your comment. I'm sure I'm not trying to set tension with the locking wheel tight. As a matter of fact when I run out of chain adjustment, with the cover removed I can turn the adjustment wheel by hand and watch it hit its hard stop allowing for no further adjustment. I put on a new chain, adjustability returns. 

• 2 months later...

Ed - I have exact same symptom. I don't have a solution, sadly. Some thoughts: 1) I think the hard stop is too soon. If you disassemble you can see clearly that there is more room to travel - design flaw. 2) I'm going to try removing a link in the chain. Also, local hardware store had super knowledgeable chainsaw person who suggested getting a custom chain - apparently plenty of places will do that. Just one less link would provide all the adjustment range we'd need.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Been having a problem with my Ryobi brushless chainsaw, for some reason, it keeps stopping, and i have to take battery out and back in again, works for a little while, and then repeat...the batteries are well charged, and still showing charge on the led indicator ....any thoughts 

I always keep it clean after use, and oil topped up...  

• 1 year later...

yep same problem for me too. The chainsaw works well but i'm on my third chain in 3 months due to stretching which at AUD35 a time gets expensive. Very frustrating that you can see that there is more room for the adjustment mechanism to adjust but the design does not allow to happen. I'm planning to take the chains to a mower shop and get them to remove a link if possible if its cheaper than a new chain.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've had a similar issue and it looks like it's bar wear. I measured the circumference of a new bar against my old bar and it was significantly less, however, new bars are difficult to order from Ryobi. I have 2 Stihl chainsaws that have the original bars and have been heavily used for over 10 years, the Ryobi bar is only 18 months old. The problem may be that the Ryobi bar is comparatively very thin so the tip-curve is very tight and prone to premature wear. The Ryobi tightening mechanism also has very limited travel, so once the chain is slack, then a new bar is needed, even after removing a link as a stop-gap measure.