Makita behind on batteries

glass

I am 100% in favour of Makita keeping the LXT platform compact and releasing the 40v XGT as a better solution to higher demand tools.

Jacking up the current rather than voltage, is a bandaid solution.
Less heat is a good thing, smaller wire is a good thing.

Besides, 12.0 batteries look foolish on 18v drills and impacts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, glass said:

Jironman. We talking cordless bub 

They may be behind in the battery cell game but they are ahead in terms of vac activation via the battery.  I don't know of any other company that activates their vacs via the battery. Some batteries like the DeWALT tool connect battery have the potential to wirelessly connect to vacs but don't because DeWALT decided to go in a different direction. I would rather buy a couple bluetooth batteries than upgrade all my tools that need dust collection.

Makita is dead. They killed themselves with that 40 XGT bs. And they can't put 21700 in the 18V because they don't fit. So they are stuck.

And frankly the others suck too. Their batteries are too big.

I think the only company that has a future is the one that makes a mixed 20V-40V battery and that is small. I think Metabo has it. With some other company.

At this point it's clear that batteries have to be standardised. Same battery for all cordless tools. Governments need to step in and force them to abide to a standard.

Here is a response I got from makita when I asked if they were going to listen to their customers about making some bigger batteries:

Thank you for your question and comments. The 18V LXT platform isn’t going anywhere – in fact, we just announced over 25 new LXT products on the way in early 2020! With over 225 products (and 250+ in 2020) LXT is the world’s largest 18V cordless tool system.  
As for bigger 18V batteries, we already have a solution – and it’s called 18V X2. For those highest-demand applications (rotary hammers, blowers, string trimmers, miter saws, dust extractors, and more), Makita created 36V tools and power equipment powered by two 18V batteries for 36V performance with the same fast-charging 18V batteries that you use on core tools like drills, impact drivers, and 225+ other LXT tools. We also just don’t focus on batteries; our success in delivering high power with 36V is due to our purpose-built BL motors. We develop motors specific to the tool’s applications. You might not need to carry around 20 batteries since Makita 18V LXT batteries offer category-leading charge times and, in early 2020, we will offer the new LXT Portable Power Supply Battery Backpack– this power management solution will supply up to 4x the run time for 18V tools and twice the run time for 18V X2 tools. 

We’re sorry for your frustrating experience with the chuck on your XPH07. You have the option to mail in your drill for service so that you do not have to drive 2 hours to the Factory Service Center. If you would like additional assistance with information on warranty or service, please DM your contact information and we will have a customer service representative contact you directly.

1 hour ago, Mordekyle said:

I don’t think it’s clear to anyone else.

Why would the govt need to overreach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same...

As for the batteries, I am not particularly concerned with the lack of bigger batteries; yeah, longer run time would be nice with some tools (e.g., grinders, x2 blower, trimmer, and sds max), but I have enough batteries and chargers to cycle and in my applications that isn't a huge inconvenience.  It might be for other users. However, I would like to see 21700 batteries for the increased performance potential and compactness, but only if they are able to ensure the added draw doesn't add excessive wear on the batteries or tools. These might not function with all current X2 tools, but I'd pay that price.

So having the same connectors on batteries across all brands, does not seem to be a benefiting the user in your opinion?

Not at all.

The cordless platform I use has every tool I need. I have Maybe 40 tools? Using One platform is very convenient and efficient, even more so for the professional.

I use them because they’re reliable and the price is reasonable.

For me, reliability beats price every day of the week.

I’m afraid universal batteries and connectors would level the playing field, to the advantage of no one.

- it would make entry level tools more expensive for the DIY crowd.

- It would make professional tools slave to the universal technology, with no advantage for technological advance.

Why should the industry leaders dumb down their tools and technology to the lowest common denominator?

Why would they R & D new technology when bottlenecked by constraints of universality?

Why should homeowners pay the subsidies for technology when they are happy with a $25 cordless tool to sink a couple of screws?

Not seeing any advantage whatsoever.

- the complaint of manufacturers switching battery types and technology and not supporting old platforms sorts itself out- heavily invested tool consumers switch platforms, never to go back.

I am on the fence about universal batteries. On the one hand, I don't want the big companies like DeWALT, Makita, Milwaukee, etc. to standardize. It may be more convenient but less room for innovation. On the other hand, for the smaller companies like Greenlee, Graco, Mac, etc. it makes a lot of sense to not have to make their own battery. They just use someone else's to save cost and whatnot.

Makita is ahead on batteries where they want to be...these XGT batteries appear to be charging in about half the time of their 18V Watt-hour equivalents, which were already faster than the rest of the market (and mostly still are) for quite some time.

Sadly it just seems Makita wants everyone to believe they’ve really dug into their current decision against anything larger than 6Ah for the time being. It’s their business they can do what they want and I’m not about to ditch the platform, but it should be obvious the market is responding negatively to it. This isn’t going to just be about losing current people, but getting fewer new adopters as time goes on.

Although I think it’s fantastic they’re continuing to innovate in other directions to improve efficiency further, with all the thin kerf blades coming out and just general mechanical efficiency within the tools themselves. I hope they continue to pursue those avenues as it will make them even more advantageous if/when they do come to their senses and finally release larger batteries.

To me LXT needs nothing more than an 8Ah, which they themselves have already proven really would not be that substantially larger than their 3-6Ah units, only requiring 10 of the 21700 cells. I’m hard-pressed to see the need for the 15-cell behemoths the red and yellow teams have released.

Not only are 21700 cells advantageous for larger batteries, but now they can do single-bank batteries with 21700 cells that can be up to 4Ah. They can use them in CXT batteries either as compact single-bank or larger-capacity duel bank. Single-bank 21700 batteries could make a whole lot of sense for compact tools that still need more power than Makita’s smallest batteries. Yet Makita seems to be passing up on ALL of these potential product options, not just the one we’re talking about in this thread. Makes one wonder if they have some specific concern or issue with the cells themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Fireguy116 said:

I spoke to makita USA the other day about this issue and they told be they were working on a new 9ah battery. They weren’t sure on the release date but it is coming they said. 

Well I’ll be hoping this proves to be true in the near-term. For all we know they could be speculating themselves, though. Makita seems to do a good job keeping things “close to the vest” when it comes to such things. 

I am 100% in favour of Makita keeping the LXT platform compact and releasing the 40v XGT as a better solution to higher demand tools.

Jacking up the current rather than voltage, is a bandaid solution.
Less heat is a good thing, smaller wire is a good thing.

Besides, 12.0 batteries look foolish on 18v drills and impacts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Why would I or anyone use a 12.0 on a drill or impact?... Not a chance, use the correct battery on the proper tool for the proper application.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Makita is dead. They killed themselves with that 40 XGT bs. And they can't put 21700 in the 18V because they don't fit. So they are stuck.
And frankly the others suck too. Their batteries are too big.
I think the only company that has a future is the one that makes a mixed 20V-40V battery and that is small. I think Metabo has it. With some other company.
At this point it's clear that batteries have to be standardised. Same battery for all cordless tools. Governments need to step in and force them to abide to a standard.

Ohhh god please NO!!!! forget the governments getting involved... Please no!!!

• Like 1

Why would I or anyone use a 12.0 on a drill or impact?... Not a chance, use the correct battery on the proper tool for the proper application.

The point is being missed.

Merely throwing larger batteries at the problem is a bandaid fix.
By not changing voltage, you risk increased current, heat and overall wear on the tool. Not to mention having to upsize conductors and heat syncs, etc. Yes, most modern tools have current limiters, but Milwaukee for example, seems to allow extended runtime at higher performance.

It’s smarter to have multi-volt or higher voltage tools.
Makita didn’t do it for a reason, a reason I am sure is justified.
Milwaukee won’t have a choice soon.

And you are kidding yourself if you think guys don’t use 12.0 on impacts and drills. The most common answer I get when I ask them why, is “I don’t have to charge for days”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And you are kidding yourself if you think guys don’t use 12.0 on impacts and drills. The most common answer I get when I ask them why, is “I don’t have to charge for days”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stupid people will always play stupid games.

Much easier to change a battery once a day than to lug around a 10 pound tool. Those people should try corded tools- you never have to change a battery.

• Like 1

I agree that just because other people will make awkward decisions throwing oversized batteries on tools that won’t benefit from it doesn’t mean everyone else is obligated to do the same. Adding an 8 or 9 Ah battery won’t mean the 3-6Ah or even 2Ah batteries will suddenly no longer be offered or you aren’t allowed to use them anymore. It’s merely an available solution that would be extremely useful for some tools. In contrast to drills and impact drivers, stuff like the sander, handheld vacuum, etc actually do draw a lot of current for their size and a somewhat larger battery makes a lot of sense for those tools. While the X2 solution would not be justified, or would be a needless encumbrance. Oh...and how about the coffee maker? Gotta be able to make coffee. 😂

• Like 1