Packout radio

Don Monfils

i bought the tough system radio when it first came out and said it was the best job site radio there was, well this xmass i got the m18 packout  radio as a gift. i had no intentions of buying it, i was going to get the new tough system radio, im glad i waited. the m18 beats my tough system. the m18 has alot more power. on my dewalt i had to max everything on the eq to get impact. Im a woodstock era hippie that likes my music loud and with impact. i had to back off on the eg when playing my ipod. with the m18 i have full cd sound on my ipod not the compressed mp3 music where they throw out the high and lows and compress the middle. i did a comparison and the m18 was much louder with deeper bass. but where it really shined was the highs if you like guitar and horn your going to love this radio it will actually hurt your ears. it has separate midrange and trebles. when i work alone i play this thing full volume and it is loud. i seen a few reviews on the internet and they said they were not impressed with the sound. i dont understand that. this radio is heavy, but i thing it aids in the sound quality, nothing rattles on it, my dewalt had occasional rattles at full volume. the m18 build quality is much higher. it has a real ac cord, not the toy brick of the dewalt. the first thing to go on my dewalt were the little rubber feet on the bottom, then the power brick, then the cheap plastic cover that took three hands to open. but i was still willing to buy another one because i thought nothing could beat it. i was impressed when i got the dewalt but im really impressed with this m18

IMG_0854.jpg

• Like 1

as you can see from this picture this could be the reason for my results that differ from sombody else, my dewalt has seen better days, its held toghther with painter tape, and has been used every day since it first came out. i fully respect what other people opinions are, especially in this forum, so much so i had to do another comparison yesterday with the radios side by side at a job site we are doing in the albany ny area. this time i tuned into a local fm station on both radios, i used one of the carpenters, one of the framers, and an electrician, did a blind listening test [they had there back to radios] all three picked the m18. which means it very well good be my dewalt. i only use fm or ipod input music. i dont use bluetooth for music, im seeing too many of the young guys spending more time with their phones and radios then working that its starting to irritate me, lol. Dont mean to screw you up Don, the only way your going to know for sure is to compare it with your dewalt. cant go wrong with either one. i love my m18. i also loved my dewalt, but we are now divorced. you say you are upstate ny i have jobs in the fulton, montgomery, albany, county area, if this is the area you are in we could hook up compare, you bring your good dewalt, ill bring m18, just an offer to make it easier for youIMG_0856.thumb.jpg.a78b6a3eda54008f09067e85089142b5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@OldDominionDIYer bro, that site is “ toolguyd” first he compares the m18 to the TSTACK radio which is not the gen 1 or gen 2 TOUGHSYSTEM..radio..cmon....I get you love Milwaukee but try to be fair. ...I hope your m18 works great for you @mohawkdec..I just think your tough system is old, beat up, and probably clogged up compared to a brand new m18 radio...the bass is no where near the tough system...treble ya...overall sound ( if you love bass) no...

btw..toolguyd is sponsored and paid to review products he receives for free...He heavily favors Milwaukee and foreign tools over American made..he is also just a tech guy not in the trades. 

13 hours ago, Framer joe said:

@OldDominionDIYer bro, that site is “ toolguyd” first he compares the m18 to the TSTACK radio which is not the gen 1 or gen 2 TOUGHSYSTEM..radio..cmon....I get you love Milwaukee but try to be fair. ...I hope your m18 works great for you @mohawkdec..I just think your tough system is old, beat up, and probably clogged up compared to a brand new m18 radio...the bass is no where near the tough system...treble ya...overall sound ( if you love bass) no...

btw..toolguyd is sponsored and paid to review products he receives for free...He heavily favors Milwaukee and foreign tools over American made..he is also just a tech guy not in the trades. 

I've always considered Toolguyd to be one of the few tool review sites that is overtly objective and honest about its articles.  Take this comparison of M18 HD and Flexolt for example, in which Stuart makes the following comment, "Both Dewalt and Milwaukee are at the top of their games right now. I am really hoping that nobody asks 'so, which one would you buy?,' frankly because that would be an extremely tough decision". 

His site has an entire category devoted to Made in the USA tools, and unless something's changed in the past couple of years, he's never accepted any sponsors.  He's mentioned his code of ethics many times as they pertain to review samples: he sends back, gives away, or donates products after he's finished with them (as evidenced by the number of giveaways he's conducted).  As for your final point, Stuart addressed his lack of trade experience here.  Of particular note is his observation that "The people that design, build, and market the tools tradesmen and pros use – they’re not tradesmen or pros either."

Please elaborate if you know anything I don't, as I don't want to be deceived or risk getting poor information.  If ToolGuyd is as bad as you say, I'll remove it from my list of daily sites to visit.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 11:00 PM, Framer joe said:

if you looked at my last post you would have seen i said exactly that. i own every dewalt radio except tstak, you would have also seen i planned on buying the new dewalt radio, but was giving the milwaukee as a gift. i have both milwaukee and dewalt tools. i just bought the dewalt cordless drywall gun over the milwaukee. and by the way, dewalt is also china. my comparision was done by me, not somebody else. i have actually compared both radios, with other people involved, have you actually listened to m18 or are you listening to reviews

@mohawkdec, I hate to say it, but as this forum is slowly dying, I think that formerly respected posters are becoming mere trolls.  If a user dislikes Milwaukee, stay out of this forum and don't go trying to spread disinformation on brands and/or independent sites.

As for my unchallenged comment, ToolGuyd is being as pro-USA and non-brand fanboy as usual: here he discusses the Stanley Powerlock promo and how he considered buying a non-Milwaukee product despite a lack of need, before deciding against it due to COO.  Given the lack of response, I'll continue frequenting ToolGuyd as an objective and knowledgeable reviewer of tools. 

• Like 3

Yet another article discussing what appears to be significant issues with the New Tough System 2 Radio. Not a good look for DeWalt...Clearly they are suffering some production issues and they will most certainly get it straight but seems a bit disappointing and I would avoid them for the near future.

https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-toughsystem-music-player-2020-user-reviews/

P.S. Toolguyd is a great site which consistently offers fair commentary and reviews and Stuart always offers full disclosure which I find refreshing.

I was just reading that article.  It's a shame, given the prominence of the original ToughSystem radio.  It was the first rugged job site radio that was compatible with a modular box system, did well in TIA's cordless radio death match, and offers good sound and decent features like BlueTooth and a charger.  

I was tempted to buy the new radio when I saw one in the overhead at my local Home Depot.  I'm glad I didn't, though, as my original is going strong and I still have two new ones to back it up (couldn't pass at $90 each a few years back).

• 1 month later...

So ... I got the packout radio for my birthday, last month.

I am very happy with it!

It seems very well built, the fm reception is better than any jobsite radio I have owned, although I normally listen to Sirius or pandora through my phone.

i have to admit the sound of my gen1 tough system is a little better. If you turn the volume up all the way (packout) , it gets a little distorted. I normally don’t turn it up to full volume anyway.

The controls are way better,  you can easily open the storage door with one hand, the Bluetooth is awesome.

F95FD6DC-784B-4BA6-8097-FBD7E8EADE76.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

glad you like it , i found with mine that the equalizer has more effect on packout when you switch from fm to bluetooth,

on my dewalt i cranked equalizer up and left it , i cant do that with packout, have to back off allittle bit, nice birthdat present

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Very disappointed paid $499 in Australia. Just less than 2 months old and the resonator is blown and rattly as. Returned the item, they won’t refund my money or directly replace it with out sending it away. And it’s not as loud as you would expect from such an expensive speaker. I should have purchased something else and will be pushing for a refund.

• 1 month later...