If You Only Had One Cordless Driver...

fm2176

What would it be?  Like most of you, I've accumulated specialty drivers for nearly any task.  8v Max screwdrivers for small electrical, 12v Max screwdrivers for cabinetry, drywall screwguns, impact drivers, pulse drivers, compact and full size drills and hammer drills, rotary hammers, impact wrenches, and on and on.

This is a difficult question for me, as I enjoy having the right tool for the job (something I learned long ago as an auto mechanic which was reinforced when I became a road technician who had to make do with the tools I carried in the truck).  In fact, it's such difficult question that I'll defer to the TIA Crew members who currently make a living with their tools.  I suspect that the answers will vary depending on trade and experience.

So, one cordless driver, what would it be?

Funny to me to think about. My first speculation is it would be the one I use the least...my heaviest-duty drill. Because it CAN do just about everything. But for the most part it’s not nearly as efficient as what I use most which is my impact driver, and would make just about everything more cumbersome to boot.

• Like 1

On second thought I’m changing my answer to impact driver. Only because your terms didn’t say I can’t have a corded driver. The convenience of impact drivers for most of what I do is too hard to let go of. I can have a big heavy corded drill for the rare occasions I need a lot of torque delivered without the hammering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToolBane said:

On second thought I’m changing my answer to impact driver. Only because your terms didn’t say I can’t have a corded driver. The convenience of impact drivers for most of what I do is too hard to let go of. I can have a big heavy corded drill for the rare occasions I need a lot of torque delivered without the hammering.

Nice...I must admit that I overlooked the utility of corded tools.  I have a lightly used corded Porter Cable drill as well as both reciprocating and circular saws I bought to replace the Milwaukee tools which were stolen.  This was only a year before my cordless conversion. 

Anytime I have the option, no matter the situation, I will always choose cordless over corded in fastening tools. Even high torque applications like lag bots and hurricane screws I will pick my impact over any corded tool any day. My pick for driver would be a working DCF887 or 888 impact. It has plenty of power and doesn't need more, precision drive mode is great at least I think it is great, and it is reasonably compact/light weight.

• Like 1