Just got a Makita xdt13 impact driver

PostsOnPercocet

Just to get the basics out of the way, I only use my tools for around the house. Now, this could be anything from tightening or loosening a couple of screws, to pulling out the motor in my 2002 F150, to making a custom frame and head board for our bed. 

I did some research and found a Makita combo kit for $150 that came with two batteries, a drill, light, charger, and the aforementioned impact driver.  So far everything is great but the impact driver is just eating away at me. 

Two issues. First one isn’t that bad but it’s Tad annoying. The LED light is bright as all get out but it placed at the bottom of the collet. 6 o’clock position. So far, in my use, I’m constantly blocking it with my support hand when I’m starting a screw or a fastener. The higher end models have the LEDS places where they won’t get blocked. 

but the bigger issue is that the xdt13 is the only impact driver in that line up that doesn’t have that feature which prevents you from stripping fasteners and tearing the heads clean off of bolts(like I did the other night while wall mounting a TV)

so to all of the experienced users out there. Should I just suck it up and after I while I’ll get the “feel” of it and just know when to stop. And just deal with the annoying LED placement. 

Or, should I try and get like $75 out of it and just buy the xdt16? I like the xdt14 and it’s like $60 cheaper than the 16 but the LEDs are still in the annoying spot. 

or should I wait and how there is a 4th of July sale and then pick up a new 16?

Honestly I could go months in between using this thing but when I do use it I don’t want to get irritated, you know?

Given that you hardly use it, I’m not sure how much you need to worry about the light not being in a more desirable spot. Having more speeds in my opinion is more important. My first impact similarly didn’t have any slower speeds available and it just didn’t take much to tweak the trigger too far and have the driver plow a screw right through some delicate piece I was trying to be really careful with.

I don’t expect this latest XDT16 will be on any terribly remarkable sales any time soon, but if you’re going potentially months between use anyway I think that you already answered your own question ie-it isn’t costing you anything to wait for what you aren’t using.