Combo Kits or not? Amazon?

toolio

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to get into the Ryobi family. I like the color and the price. For my needs I think it fits the bill. The question is where to get them from 🤔 🤔 🤔

Are the kits on Amazon as good as the ones from HD?

Is it worth it to get the combo or is it better to pay a little more and buy them independently?

I searched for the answers but there was no answer to this question but I am sure someone has considered it before. Please shine some light on my choice. Thank you!

Ryobi is an HD house brand. Amazon can’t really be an authorized distributor by definition. That is just retailers reselling HD stock. Kind of like buying it on EBay. So good luck on warranty claims and watch out on Amazon on impossibly cheap deals especially battery scams. But it depends on what it is. I have no issues about buying off Amazon or Ebay but it’s buyer beware territory. If you are looking at other retailers CPO Outlets is normally authorized on refurbished and discontinued tools and so the warranty is good.

The big thing is Ryobi is meant for the homeowner/DIY market. So don’t expect the best torque or the best batteries or long tool life as a “daily driver”. HD is selling it cheap for a reason and that’s the problem with it. It’s kind of like power tools from Harbor Freight. They are cheap but you are just asking for a world of problems and issues. If you try to return they will just up sell you. If you are looking for inexpensive weekend work or a disposable one time use tool
it’s not as bad as say Harbor Freight. But you can do much better. When it comes to tools function should be your first concern (after safety). Color shouldn’t be a concern. I would steer you towards the Rigid or the Milwaukee M12 tools for two reasons. You get better torque, better batteries, and longer life without the huge premium on the M18 or Dewalt 20V tools. The Rigid set is a very nice 18 V set with a value price. If those 4 tools is what you need great. That’s the big limitation...very short tool lineup. Metabo/HPT is very similar to Rigid. In this instance Rigid is an HD house brand too (they are independent) but Metabo is independent. So you get the 18 V tools at a decent price.

The M12 line especially is used extensively by tradesmen as a secondary tool. Milwaukee has supported it for years. Many M12 tools aren’t even available in M18. As in I can carry a tiny impact gun, lighter drill/driver, and save a lot of money when I don’t need the 18/20 V tools. The little portaband and the reciprocating saw for instance are perfect for residential electrical work. I mostly have 18 V tools only because my customers are mostly industrial so the stubby M12 impact won’t do much on a 1-1/8” nut.

Only reason I don’t recommend the Dewalt 12 V line is they never continue to support it so if you buy today don’t expect it to be there tomorrow. And Makita is overpriced.

Plus if you are worried about appearance Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita are instantly recognized and used on construction sites and in maintenance shops everywhere as professional grade tools. Nobody is going to question those or even Metabo. But if you show up with a Ryobi tool it’s like wearing a pink hard hat...nobody will take you seriously. Not even your neighbors.

As to combo kits IF you need all the tools they make sense and you can save money. Like buying a kit with say a drill/driver, a charger, two batteries, and another tool such as a saw. Then you can add on others as needed. But pay attention to what’s in it. Often the tools are the weaker or older versions or stupid useless tools like really clunky flashlights. If you add up everything count the “junk” tools as $0 when figuring your savings. So those huge $500 combo kits are often stuffed with crappy tools or tools you don’t want or need. Even premium Dewalt and Milwaukee kits are that way.

But smaller kits make sense.
When you look at modern tool batteries that cost around $100 each and the bare tools are around $100 if you find say a drill and 2 batteries for $200 thats like buying batteries and getting the tool for free. All the manufacturers offer these “starter kits”. After you buy one set though additional combos usually only make sense if you need more batteries.

Also look at the available tools down the road. If you expect to eventually need a certain tool that should affect your buying decision. If you buy say the Rigid set you can’t expect to expand later with a vacuum or a tower light. What you don’t want to do is have 3 different brand/voltage batteries that are not compatible because you overspend on batteries. Choose your tool platform to minimize batteries. I have 2 drills, 2 impacts, a couple saws, grinder, vacuum, and job site lights on one battery. My crimper and several meters are all on different batteries. Just keeping them all charged us a lot of extra work. It would have been much worse if I didn’t standardize on one battery platform.

Also don’t overlook corded tools. Certain tools like grinders, table saws, and air compressors are available cordless but the corded version is much better. I have both corded and cordless grinders. Yesterday I easily got inside a box to strip the paint where I needed a grounded electrical connection with a cordless grinders but putting a bevel on a piece for welding would quickly drain the battery and the corded one is more powerful and faster.