Dewalt 20 vt Drywall Screw Gun

ghebert

Just got the Dewalt 20 vt Drywall Screw Gun and we can't get it to work correctly.  We have the right size screw setting but after we adjust the depth of the screw setting, the screw is always left a mm or so above the drywall.  It seems that there is a bit of play where the shank of the screw bit is inserted and this is causing the issue.  Probably user error but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Anyway, I"m new to this so any help will be greatly appreciated.  My wife an I have to hang 30 sheets of 4x12 on a ceiling and we were hoping this would make that a lot easier.  And yes we have a drywall lift. 

Yeah, I was doing that but I couldn't get it to screw in, it kept stopping about a mm short of going into the drywall.  I played with it somemore and it seems to work now.  User error I guess.  I'll test it again and post some pics if it doesn't work.

Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...

I just picked this up about a month ago and I am left handed. Everytime I would go to set a screw and squeeze on the trigger my thumb would sneak it into reverse. This gun has more of a toggle switch rather then a button. I wouldn't know it and think I was just hitting something because even if I pushed with everything i had it would still sink the screw but leave the head sticking out a 1/16 like ghebert. You might have it in reverse,  lol. The 4th time it happened I just started to lock the trigger on and held it around the cupped hand groove at the top. Another complaint I have is milwaukee and ridgid both have the push sensor setting where it automatically engages the motor on without eating up the battery when you apply pressure, no need to ever touch the trigger. I have some ridgid 18v tools( 2x 5ah batteries). I am probably going to swap out for the ridgid one and take the loss on the dewalt kit with 2x 2ah batts and free 20v cut out tool for $200, I can probably get the ridgid for around $125 maybe less