Lawn and irrigation (sprinklers, anyone?)

gingerjack

Does anyone have oscillating sprinklers that are not plastic fussy, fiddly things and prone to leaking? In our previous house we had brass sprinklers (can't recall the brand, they were really old), but they were lost, unfortunately. Now with basic hose, it takes about an hour+ to water the whole garden, and guess I'm getting tired of it. I'm leaning towards switch and forget model. But I can't find non-plastic sprinklers anywhere, and the best option seems to be aluminium. Recommendations, anyone?

Just in case, lawn is about 1000 sq ft., it's square. 
No unusual forms and just two small flowerbeds. 

My last home had well over 100 sprinkler heads.

The original ones worked and worked and worked.

The new ones would only last for several years before failure. I was replacing the new ones over and over again.

The major manufacturers have different grade parts, but I always just got the parts from the big home improvement store shelves. Those higher grade parts are available online.

It seems reasonable that the higher grade parts would last longer before failure.

On 4/13/2020 at 12:21 PM, wingless said:

My last home had well over 100 sprinkler heads.

The original ones worked and worked and worked.

The new ones would only last for several years before failure. I was replacing the new ones over and over again.

The major manufacturers have different grade parts, but I always just got the parts from the big home improvement store shelves. Those higher grade parts are available online.

It seems reasonable that the higher grade parts would last longer before failure.

Thanks for your feedback, wingless! Similar situation for me, I've tried several brands and - though they all were highly recommended, such as aluminium one head, Rocky Mountain, which lasted a year - they all failed me. Tried higher grade plastic (and non cheap ones, like Nelson), - supposed coverage of the head did not live up to what it was supposed to be which leaves me with uncovered space + it failed quickly (maybe it was a defective unit, idk). In the result I replace heads more often than I should to/want to. 

Do you have any recommendations? This whole situation is really upsetting. 

You're welcome.

The Hunter Residential Sprinkler Catalog shows different grade parts available for each application. When I looked last the higher grade parts were available online. I don't know how these rate to parts from other brands.

My large lawn brought me to expert level on sprinkler replacement. I would lay a plastic tarp (an empty 3 cubic foot peat moss bag) near the broken head. Use my flat shovel to cut a box shape through the lawn. Lift the lawn square onto the plastic. Put some more dirt onto the bag. Remove, replace and adjust the head. Replace the dirt and lawn. Done. I got pretty fast at this repair.

FWIW, massive peat moss applications twice a year enabled me to get my $1M lawn.

46091379211_7ae700abd8_c.jpg

44275110810_e22c4d9e6b_c.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 1:44 AM, gingerjack said:

Thanks for your feedback, wingless! Similar situation for me, I've tried several brands and - though they all were highly recommended, such as aluminium one head, Rocky Mountain, which lasted a year - they all failed me. Tried higher grade plastic (and non cheap ones, like Nelson), - supposed coverage of the head did not live up to what it was supposed to be which leaves me with uncovered space + it failed quickly (maybe it was a defective unit, idk). In the result I replace heads more often than I should to/want to. 

Do you have any recommendations? This whole situation is really upsetting. 

From my personal experience, I'd recommend you to istall 8-10 low pressure sprinklers. For your square it's gonna be the most ergonomic option.

IMPORTANT: do not forget to drain your system BEFORE winter. That's how I screwed up all my sprinklers, ha-ha.