Milwaukee M18 FPD2 Drill

BobT

I have just bought the Milwaukee M18 FPD2 cordless drill and it is a great tool apart from the clutch system. I can have it on the slow speed and the clutch on any number up to 14 but whatever number it is on, it will not slip. Screws get buried in the wood and if there is a screw that is so tight it will not turn anymore, the screw bit will just keep jumping out of the screw head and damage the screw and bit. I can hold the chuck with a lot of pressure and stop it turning but it just seems the torque is set way too high. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sent back my drill because I thought the clutch was not working properly.

It didn’t matter what number I had the clutch set to, it would just bury the screw into the wood.

The replacement does exactly the same. Now I am thinking that the clutch settings are NOT meant for slipping when the screw gets to a certain tightness but instead, is for safety reasons.

Am I right in thinking that the clutch is only to prevent the drill spinning me round like a Catherine wheel and probably breaking the bones in my hand and arm?😄  If not, I again have a faulty drill.

Thanks.