Do I need a Type 1 Guard for a Diamond Chip Blade on a DeWalt Grinder?

cmulder

So I purchased a DeWalt 4.5 inch grinder (DWE4011) specifically to cut some concrete--I also purchased an Avanti pro 4-1/2 turbo diamond blade which the Home Depot person told me was best for this job. When I open up the box and read the instructions its says I need a Type 1 guard (add on accessory) to use this blade.   Its also very confusing as to how to install the clamp nut (flat side down or up) as apparently this changes base based on the wheel. The blade came with a "ring" that fits in the one side of the clamp nut so I assume that side goes down.  So do I need to that guard? Because it attaches fine with the Type 27 guard that's on there.  What's the purpose of this guard?  Is there another model that does not need a separate guard?  I'd rather pay for a better model then but the guard.

Welcome to the forum.

All of the DeWALT small angle grinders come with only the Type 27 guard. That is general purpose for most applications.The DeWALT Owner's Manual shows which wheel types are applicable for that guard.

The Type 1 guard has a full shroud and is shown for usage with flat wheels, such as the diamond blade. The Type 1 full shroud provides greater protection if a wheel should fail.

My experience has consumed many wheels and I am fortunate to never have experienced a wheel failure.

The clamp nut is designed to work with thick and thin wheels. The thick wheels are clamped with the side having the raised collar. The thin wheels are clamped w/ the flat side. Ensure the wheel is secure before turning on the tool. The tool manual shows when to use one side or the other of the nut. My experience is there is zero question based on the wheel, thick go one way, thin the other. A thin wheel will wobble if incorrectly clamped.