Power Tools on a Converter?

AmatureBlacksmith

I am an American who just moved to Europe. Back in the States I accrued a plethora of power tools related to blacksmithing and carpentry. My question is, is it safe to use a 220-240v to 110-120v step down converter for power tools. I am aware that American tools are designed for 60hertz and that Europe uses 50hertz, and I am concerned that I might damage the tools or the home I am renting. Any thoughts?

I am not sure about it. Google says there is a risk of fire, and I can't reccomend you to try. Especially, if the house is rented, you don't to pay for renovation. Looking for a new house is not an easy thing also, be sure about it. Not sure what you can do in this situation. The only way out I can see is to sell your old tools and buy new. But is actual only if you are going to live there for a long-term period.

The “Better Safe Than Sorry” axiom maintains that you shouldn’t do it unless you can establish everything is safe.

I had a bunch of technical reasons typed out as to why I think it would be fun to experiment with myself having a decent bit of physics and electrical background while NOT recommending that most people should try themselves. But after all that I realized the quick and easy answer is you’ve really never had a better excuse to switch over to cordless tools than now.

• Like 1