Battery or chager problem

HammerheadC4

I just bought a new DC825KA

I have several Dewalt 18V tools, So I have a DeWalt charger DW9116 in my garage....I charged one of my new batteries from my new kit in this charger...no problem, 1hr later new battery is charged.

I charge the second battery from my new kit using the charger from the kit, 1hr later, light is flashing Hot Cold pack delay and the battery is very hot....temp in my neck of the woods is around 70 degrees today.

Also wondering, when I run the impact driver I see sparks in the rear vents....don't recall seeing that with my buddies 825 the other day.

Wondering if I should return the kit and exchange it for another one.

I just bought a new DC825KA

I have several Dewalt 18V tools, So I have a DeWalt charger DW9116 in my garage....I charged one of my new batteries from my new kit in this charger...no problem, 1hr later new battery is charged.

I charge the second battery from my new kit using the charger from the kit, 1hr later, light is flashing Hot Cold pack delay and the battery is very hot....temp in my neck of the woods is around 70 degrees today.

Also wondering, when I run the impact driver I see sparks in the rear vents....don't recall seeing that with my buddies 825 the other day.

Wondering if I should return the kit and exchange it for another one.

Question:

What charger and battery came in your new kit?

If the battery got too hot during charge the charger will cease charging until the battery cools down, after it cools down the charger will continue, so i dont think anything is wrong with the charger, but i will need the info to help you with your issue.

• 2 years later...

Just had same issue. I charged one battery, then went to do the other and it gave the Hot/Cold pack delay. Thinking maybe cause I had the charger on the carpet and it's in the 90s outside today. Hopefully no issues with the pack. Can't afford new ones. Plus I hardly use these that often. I probably charge them too often for the amount I use them, but I don't want them to die on me when I need them.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

My DeWaltDW9116 charger shows the "hot/cold delay" code for one of my two 9096 nicad batteries (chinese Vanon clones) but the other battery charges normally without the dot-dash code. this is NOT the dot-dot-dot "replace pack" code. The hot/cold code stays on even at room temperature with the "bad" one.  Vanon refused to honor their lousy 30 day battery warranty, but agreed that it is faulty. Does this make any sense?  Can a battery fail in such a way as to fool the charger even if it is not hot or cold?  Don't bother to tell me not to buy Chinese imitations; lesson learned.

• Haha 1

I opened the case and found melted insulation and exposed conductors of the fine gauge  wire which i presume to be for a thermal sensing device (maybe a thermistor or thermostatic switch ) .The wires were detached and hanging loosely between two of the 12 little batteries. I separated the two wires from one another and taped  over them with electrical tape,  closed the case, and plugged the battery into the charger. The hot/cold delay dot-dash signal did not come on. The battery charged normally in about half an hour with the usual LED indicators. I assume that I have disabled the hot/cold delay circuit, but at least I have a working battery and our coastal climate is moderate, so I doubt if the battery will ever need the delay. If anyone would like to comment about possible safety hazard or what to look for to reconnect the sensing device, I welcome your comments and/or emojis.

First it’s not there for climate reasons. I have used them in lights for hours in 110 degree engine rooms in meat packers. It’s there because the battery can put out very high peak power for short periods of time but if it is used this way for too long it overheats. That way you can get massive starting torque to say break a screw loose (static friction is 300% of dynamic friction) for a couple seconds but if you say bury a cutoff wheel in a grinder it will shut down the tool so the battery doesn’t burn up. If all you use it on is.a light and nothing motorized, POSSIBLY no problem but this is one side only. A lot of quick chargers also work by controlling temperature. They charge at a high rate or crank up the charging until the battery gets hot or they slug it with a known safe current until the battery overheats as a way of detecting that it is mostly charged then backing off to trickle charge the rest of the way. No way to tell unless you are intimately familiar with how the charger in question works.

There are many methods of sensing temperature (RTD, thermocouple, PTC, thermal switch). A couple of these can easily be misidentified as just a piece of thin wire. Or the fake battery might just have a jumper in it to fool the temperature protection in the first place.

I don’t know if the tools have their own temperature sensors to prevent damage to the tool. So if for instance the battery is far more sensitive to overheating than the motor the tool might just use the battery protection to protect the tool motor too. So if it is disabled it can wipe out your tool under hard use depending on how the tool is designed.

My tools are how I earn a living. Think Swamo Loggers because those guys are in my service territory. My job frequently takes me places where Home Depot isn’t around. Just getting onto a log crane is a 15+ minute production, Never mind say prison security. They’re not going to be happy with me if I show up to do a job with a Chinese battery. It’s one thing if the battery fails I’ll just grab another. But if the tool fails I’m looking at two hours or more just to get back and forth to a store in a lot of places. The local saw shop or feed and seed can get nearly anything in a couple days but doesn’t have it on the shelf.

I buy and use the most dependable tools I can afford for a reason. If I’m on the job the customer is paying about twice what the other guy charges. That means professional uniform, professional attitude, professional tools. Yesterday the customer was a yarn plant. They were drooling all over my

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk