New 20V Max Tools Rock!

Edge

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you please do a test of Milwaukee's red lithium vs. dewalt 20v max batteries using them for a day of work in the cold. So what if you froze a battery then took it out and started using it at room temperature, it warms up with the use of the tool and the ambient air temp.

Do a test in a refrigerated room or in an environment where the battery doesn't have a chance to heat up due to air temp.

if using the scientific method when product testing, you should control for air temp by keeping it constant otherwise you put a battery in a freezer chilled it to zero degrees then used it. All batteries will power the tool in zero degrees but being constantly used when its zero outside is another matter all together.

These are to show that some claim's made by Milwaukee are not true. If the battery can not function after being frozen, then the tool will not function being sustained in the cold. I personally don't own a refrigerator truck, or industrial freezer to do such a test. It will be a few month's longer before it get's cold enough outside to do that kind of testing, though I don't see the point.

I don't see the point either.  Kind of silly.  If it makes people happy, do it I guess....but if it works right out of the freezer then it should continue to work if it stayed in it.

BTW I've been to three different local Lowe's stores the past couple of days.  So far the once closest to me has some of the 20v max in stock.

They had the 3.0 drill but if I'm going to buy the drill I want to pick it up in a drill/impact combo kit, which they did not have.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found them at the local Lowe's stores where I live around Indianapolis.  I have not yet been into a Home Depot to see if they had them, but I would guess they do.

I've seen some of the tools with hard cases, but others with bags.  This is frustrating, as it seems the combos come with bags, but the single tools come with hard cases.  Come on DeWalt.....

I have found them at the local Lowe's stores where I live around Indianapolis.  I have not yet been into a Home Depot to see if they had them, but I would guess they do.

I've seen some of the tools with hard cases, but others with bags.  This is frustrating, as it seems the combos come with bags, but the single tools come with hard cases.  Come on DeWalt.....

Why does that surprise and/or frustrate you?  The far majority of combo kits on the market (all brands) come in bags, and have now for a number of years.  Most customers like combo kits in bags, so they dont have such a large case to carry around.  Also, a lot of people end up buying more batteries so they have one in every tool, and the hard cases do not allow for that usually.  If you feel that you would prefer a hard case, than go buy a Tough Case, and put your tools in there.  You will then have the nicest hard case for your tools on the job site!  :)

Jones,

Cyclone hit the nail on the head.  It does not surprise me that much, but it frustrates the hell out of me.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't already know why bags frustrate so many.  One problem with bags for me are that the bags wear out.  I've got several bags that I bought throughout the years that eventually tore from regular use or had holes worn in them from where the tools inside rubbed the same spot.  I bought a combo kit about 3-4 years ago that came in a bag.  At first I thought it was cool, but it wasn't long after I began to hate it.  I still have it, but it is very worn with some holes, and it quit zipping up within 18 months after something landed on it and messed up part of the zipper.  Another problem is the lack of protection I feel they offer.  I like to take care of my stuff, especially when I've spent a lot of money on it.  I don't care for my power tools to be clanging around inside against each other.  I'm pretty sure one of my drills was cracked in that manner a few years ago, perhaps I set the bag down too hard but I feel that had it been in a case, it wouldn't have happened.  Also the cases offer much more organization.  Things are in the same spot every time and there is a little leftover room for whatever you want to put in in most cases.  With a bag, it's just a big clusterf**k of stuff.  Finally, bags don't offer much protection from liquids.  I've been caught with my pants down in the past by sudden rain showers that I had no idea were coming, it just looked cloudy.  Granted that doesn't happen these days as I have smartphone to view radar and keep up on the weather but still, it's an issue.

oh, I'll also add that cases are much easier to organize and stack on shelving than bags are.  In the same area that I have 3 tool bags next to each other I can probably stand up 6-8+ cases.  That means a lot when you don't have or want a large vehicle/trailer.

Bottom line, I think from my experience and what I've heard from others is that cases trump bags in just about every way.  Yes, I can go buy some type of case or box that will do the job, as I did for my 12v max but that's not the point.

I personally like the hardcases but in reality they are impractical for me.

In my work van I have five plastic shelving bins on the top shelf of the driver's side rack.  The first bin holds all my compressor stuff (attachments and hoses).  The second bin holds all my battery packs and charging equipment.  The rest of the bins hold primarily my cordless tools.  Since the hardcases are all different sizes and aren't really stackable (interlocking wise), I find that the bin arrangement can store the most tools in the least amount of space.

I have one soft bag that "permanently" holds my drill, impact driver, and all my related accessories.  The other two I keep around empty.  Depending on what I need on the job site, I'll grab whatever tools from the bin and put them in the bag.  A typical job would require me carrying 2 soft bags.  A very advanced job perhaps all 3.  For me it saves a lot of time as I don't have to pull out hard cases and open them up.  It also saves trips between the van and the job site carrying all these hard cases.

Pic 1 - right angle drill, cut out tool, jigsaw, circular saw, and bits/blade storage box.

p9266337.jpg

Pic 2 - cut off tool, flashlight, recip saw, and blades.

p9266338.jpg

Pic 3 - impact wrench, sockets, mud mixer, and framing nailer.

p9266339.jpg

Pic 4 - drill, impact driver, and lots of bits.

p9266340.jpg

Jones,

Cyclone hit the nail on the head.  It does not surprise me that much, but it frustrates the Heck out of me.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't already know why bags frustrate so many.  One problem with bags for me are that the bags wear out.  I've got several bags that I bought throughout the years that eventually tore from regular use or had holes worn in them from where the tools inside rubbed the same spot.  I bought a combo kit about 3-4 years ago that came in a bag.  At first I thought it was cool, but it wasn't long after I began to hate it.  I still have it, but it is very worn with some holes, and it quit zipping up within 18 months after something landed on it and messed up part of the zipper.  Another problem is the lack of protection I feel they offer.  I like to take care of my stuff, especially when I've spent a lot of money on it.  I don't care for my power tools to be clanging around inside against each other.  I'm pretty sure one of my drills was cracked in that manner a few years ago, perhaps I set the bag down too hard but I feel that had it been in a case, it wouldn't have happened.  Also the cases offer much more organization.  Things are in the same spot every time and there is a little leftover room for whatever you want to put in in most cases.  With a bag, it's just a big clusterf**k of stuff.  Finally, bags don't offer much protection from liquids.  I've been caught with my pants down in the past by sudden rain showers that I had no idea were coming, it just looked cloudy.  Granted that doesn't happen these days as I have smartphone to view radar and keep up on the weather but still, it's an issue.

oh, I'll also add that cases are much easier to organize and stack on shelving than bags are.  In the same area that I have 3 tool bags next to each other I can probably stand up 6-8+ cases.  That means a lot when you don't have or want a large vehicle/trailer.

Bottom line, I think from my experience and what I've heard from others is that cases trump bags in just about every way.  Yes, I can go buy some type of case or box that will do the job, as I did for my 12v max but that's not the point.

I completely understand where you are coming from, and I did not mean for my previous comment to sound like I did not.  Let me first preface with a little explanation; my job is to work with end users, and among other things, pass on information on what demands are from the field.  So from my experience (as well as the rest of the team across the country), there is actually a more even split of preferences on "bag vs. case".  Most of our tools are packaged with either a case or a bag so that both users can be satisfied, but at the end of the day it is just not economical to package everything both ways.  I know that this doesn't necessarily help you guys that want the cases, but that is a simple version of the explanation.  Anyway, from reading what you wrote about the benefits of cases, you should really think about investing in the Tough System.  It is an additional investment, but it will exponentially increase your case durability, weather proof preparedness, and accessory/fasteners (or miscellaneous accessory/tool) that find their way into your tool boxes.  I'm not trying to sell you on anything, but after just setting up my Tough system, I am a firm believer and I think it will make you really happy as an organizational platform, and a tool storage system.

the tough system is really great;

I have all three (4 variants)

DS150

DS300

DS400

(Europe part #), but same boxes avail in USA

DS150 with yellow "inlay small boxes, some 8 boxes , different sizes" for better storage of parts, small items,..

2)

my actual question:

are there any further "inlay" adaptors planned ?

example:

buy a new recip saw, boxed in "normal yellow packaging", but also include an inlay adaptor for one of the tough cases

B)

maybe also some type of foam adaptors, etc

(nice yellow / black Dewalt foam)

... just look at the good job Bosch is doing with their systainer / L-Boxx system;

almost perfect!

We all know Stanley/Dewalt has the expertise to do this, at the moment they are just not coming thru ...

aside from the fact of the "new market introduction of the new 20VMax system, some kind of marketing gag or neat item introduction would have been great !

... where are all the guys/gals that study marketing...

this is obvoius !!!!

greetings

mike

from sunny Munich, Octoberfest HQ; you all agree that right now I have a bit of different focus !!!

I have been looking every day now! I even contacted the local Dewalt service center and they didn't even know... I guess I just need to wait a little longer :(

I was out of town & stopped by a Home Depot in Kansas City a couple weeks ago.  They had some 20v Max kits.  Weird how this was one of the first stores to get these new kits, but one of the very last ones to get the new DC012 radio.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the recip saw that comes in the 4 and 5 pc combo is not the same one as advertised on the DeWALT site. No 4 position blade clamp or adjustable shoe. From the looks of it the circ saw is different too. Stamped table vs. magnesium table. Why is DeWALT putting lower quality tools in the combo kits and charging an arm and a leg for them?

Looks like the recip saw that comes in the 4 and 5 pc combo is not the same one as advertised on the DeWALT site. No 4 position blade clamp or adjustable shoe. From the looks of it the circ saw is different too. Stamped table vs. magnesium table. Why is DeWALT putting lower quality tools in the combo kits and charging an arm and a leg for them?

They are put in there so that the kits can hit a lower price point.  The other competitors on the market do it as well, so it skews the price of the larger combo kits.  The DeWALT tools in those kits are still built to professional quality standards, they just have a few different features.

They are put in there so that the kits can hit a lower price point.  The other competitors on the market do it as well, so it skews the price of the larger combo kits.  The DeWALT tools in those kits are still built to professional quality standards, they just have a few different features.

Exactly right, Milwaukee's kit at HD has a different drill in it. I think Makita's too. Has to be done in order to hit those low pricepoints you see at retailers. They also don't list those features on the combo kits and it was also stated in the press release for the 20v max system.

Exactly right, Milwaukee's kit at HD has a different drill in it. I think Makita's too. Has to be done in order to hit those low pricepoints you see at retailers. They also don't list those features on the combo kits and it was also stated in the press release for the 20v max system.

Guys, get your facts straight before posting.  Milwaukee does not put a different drill in their kit at HD.  Not sure about Makita

This is the kit sold at my local Home Depot.

1b86950a-bfbb-4e81-9fd2-ab93b54cd30d_300.jpg

Kit Model 2696-24. Below is what MilwaukeeTool.com say's is in kit 2696-24;

The 2696-24 M18™ cordless LITHIUM-ION 4-tool combo kit includes the 1/2" Hammer Drill / Driver (2602-20), Sawzall® Recip Saw (2620-20), 1/4" Hex Impact Driver (2650-20), and Work Light (49-24-0171). The M18™ Cordless LITHIUM-ION System's patented technologies and electronics, innovative motor design, and superior ergonomics provide the most efficient blend of power, weight and performance in the industry. Powered by RED LITHIUM™ the M18™ cordless system delivers more torque, more power, and longer run-time than the competition.

Milwaukee 2602-20 is not Milwaukee's top 18v hammerdrill. The 2611-24 is.

2611-24

55588_2611-24-sm.jpg

*Voltage 18V

*Torque 750 in-lbs

*RPM High 0-1,800

*RPM Low 0-450

*BPM 0-28,000

*Battery RED LITHIUMâ„¢

*Length 9-1/4"

*Tool Weight 5.3 lbs

*Shipping Weight 13.25 lbs

*Size 9-1/4"

2602-20

55145_2602-22v1.jpg

*Voltage 18V

*Torque 525 in-lbs

*Chuck Type 1/2" Single Sleeve

*RPM 0-550/0-1,700

*BPM 0-29,000

*Battery RED LITHIUMâ„¢

*Length 8-1/2"

*Tool Weight 4.9 lbs

Where am I wrong?

You are wrong on the M18 combo- it has the same Hammer Drill that is sold in store, the compact hammer drill. It is advertised as such. The Makita on the other hand has a different Hammer Drill in both the 4 pc combo AND the 2 pc combo than what is sold as stand alone in store. Then there is the DeWALT set- the circ that DeWALT carries is a stamped auminum base, which is heavier than a Magnsium base aswell as not as durable on the jobsite, AND the Recip in the 4 pc combo is a cheaper version with no 4 way blade clamp... and no metal gear housing-THAT is what I call not being honest. You need to get your facts straight, my friend. The Milwaukee and Makita sets are both going for a compact set up, vs. a huge boat anchor that gives you a full work out while you drill. The sets are designed for power AND runtime at more affordable prices, it would appear to me.  Not to mention a 5 year warranty on the Milwaukee. DeWALT is a 3 year limited warranty, just like Makita and most other manufacturers. Battery warranty is the same on DeWALT and Milwaukee as well. Glad to see those are similar at least.

Archived