New 20V Max Tools Rock!

Edge

After looking on the internet, the 2602 drill can be purchased in a number of different combo kits as well as separately and as a bare drill.  Looks like Milwaukee has a compact hammer drill(2602) and a high performance hammer drill (2611) for different contractor needs.  Isn't Dewalt taking the same approach on 20V MAx with the DCD785 and DCD985?

Can you purchase the 20V recip saw(DCS381) and circular saw(DCS393) in any other kits or separately?  If not, why not?  Why not just put in the standard recip and circular saw?  

I don't think your comparison is apples to apples.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking on the internet, the 2602 drill can be purchased in a number of different combo kits as well as separately and as a bare drill.  Looks like Milwaukee has a compact hammer drill(2602) and a high performance hammer drill (2611) for different contractor needs.  Isn't Dewalt taking the same approach on 20V MAx with the DCD785 and DCD985?

Can you purchase the 20V recip saw(DCS381) and circular saw(DCS393) in any other kits or separately?  If not, why not?  Why not just put in the standard recip and circular saw?  

I don't think your comparison is apples to apples.

Exactly. 

At this point, the DeWALT 20v MAX is offering only the kits listed on the website.  We are currently just trying to catch up on demand for the kits already offered.  When things stabilize a bit, you may begin seeing other variations of the combo kits.  "Bare" tools may be an option in the future as well, so that you can build your own kit as you want it.  I don't know if/when Bare tools will be offered, but that would be a great solution for users as well.

You are wrong on the M18 combo- it has the same Hammer Drill that is sold in store, the compact hammer drill.......AND the Recip in the 4 pc combo is a cheaper version with no 4 way blade clamp... and no metal gear housing-THAT is what I call not being honest........

I was not talking about the stand alone drill that home depot carries in contrast to the combo kit. I simply stated that Milwaukee does not sell the premium hammerdrill in the combo kit carried at home depot.

The gear housing is all metal. Peel back the rubber shoe and have a look.

The new 20v Max hammer drill is the same as the XRP hammer drill with different decals, shell and handle. Also, could you please tell me why you are running different cells in the 1.5ah battery vs the 3ah battery? Is that to hit a price point too?

I don't know about the battery cells, so I cannot speak to that.  I do know that the 1.5amp/hr battery has a 2 year free service warranty, so it is warranted longer than 18v compact batteries.

As far as the SDS hammer, it is pretty similar.  It has a chipping mode (where the 18v does not), it has the LED light, and it does drill a little faster.  I have run the two side by side, and the 20v is between the 18v and 36v on performance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the recip saw that comes in the 4 and 5 pc combo is not the same one as advertised on the DeWALT site. No 4 position blade clamp or adjustable shoe.

I had a look at the parts diagrams for the DCS380L1 (sold individually) and the DCS381 (4 & 5 piece kits).  In addition to the shoe and blade clamp, the internals are also quite different.  The DCS380L1 uses a scotch yoke reciprocating mechanism driven by spiral bevel gearing and the DCS381 uses a wobble plate driven by helical gearing.  The armatures, fields, and brushes are also different parts.  The DCS380L1 seems to share its workings with the 18V DC385K type 2 while the DCS381 is based on the type 1.  It would be interesting to see how the performance of the 380 and 381 compares in actual operation. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanna say These tools have alot of power but The runtime  is awful. I think my 12 volt impact driver last longer then 20V impact driver on these batteries . Im Very upset with 1.5ah and 3.ah runtime. These batteries have the shortest runtime even from competitors Milwaukee, and Makita . Im I the only one upset by this ?????

I own the Milwaukee and Makita drills and impact drivers (for competitive comparison), and I have always been very impressed with the run time, especially compared to the competition.  What tools are you using?  The only thing that I can think that runs out fast is the recip or circ saw, but those tools drink any battery.

I own the Milwaukee and Makita drills and impact drivers (for competitive comparison), and I have always been very impressed with the run time, especially compared to the competition.  What tools are you using?  The only thing that I can think that runs out fast is the recip or circ saw, but those tools drink any battery.

I’ve only used my Impact Driver and 3 speed Hammer Drill .  Im starting to think me and two other workers have defective batteries. I just wanted to know if anybody else has noticed this problem. 

Yah, you may want to swap them out.  Are you running extremely large bits and fasteners?  I am using the 20v tools right now to remodel my house, and I have only killed one compact battery, and it was in the light which has been running for about a week strait as I re-wire a bunch of rooms at night.  Obviously my evening remodel is not the same as being used heavily 8 hours a day, but the run time has still impressed me in real world application, rather than just my typical demo's that I do for work. 

Hopefully some new batteries change things around for you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

....The only thing that I can think that runs out fast is the recip or circ saw, but those tools drink any battery.

Kind of off topic here. 

Those do suck the juice fast.  As far as 18v, my experience with the worst run time is with the 4.5" grinder/cut-off tool (DC411).

Archived