Is the new DeWalt 20V Li-ion battery interchangeable with B&D yard tools?

jimmyz

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching for an answer to the subject question without success.  I am planning to upgrdae my old 12V DeWalt to the new 20V Li-ion.  I am also interested in the new Black and Decker 20V yard tools such as the LPP120 pole chain saw and LST220 line trimmer.  Does anyone know for sure if the new batteries from DeWalt and Black and Decker will interchange physically.  They look very similar but is there any intentional non-interchangeable physical differences preventing use between the product families?  I have found only limited product in stores and haven't been able to verify.

Thanks in advance  :)

I have no official knowledge on this subject, so keep that in mind when reading this.

I would NEVER put a DeWALT lithium battery in ANY other tool.  The 20v MAX battery has virtually NO electronics in it, so the chances of it being damaged by being used in a tool that was not designed for is very high.  In my mind there is absolutely no point in ruining a valuable battery, that is worth about as much as the string trimmer, when you can buy another B&D battery for $30-$50.  I do not imagine that this would go well.  That's just my 2 cents though.

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching for an answer to the subject question without success.  I am planning to upgrdae my old 12V DeWalt to the new 20V Li-ion.  I am also interested in the new Black and Decker 20V yard tools such as the LPP120 pole chain saw and LST220 line trimmer.  Does anyone know for sure if the new batteries from DeWalt and Black and Decker will interchange physically.  They look very similar but is there any intentional non-interchangeable physical differences preventing use between the product families?  I have found only limited product in stores and haven't been able to verify.

Thanks in advance  :)

NOT EVEN CLOSE.

DCB201vsLB20_1.JPG

DCB201vsLB20_2.JPG

DCB201vsLB20_3.JPG

Thanks DEWALTDUDE,

They looked similar until you see them side by side. :-\  I was hoping they would be interchangeable that way I would get more use out of the batteries.  I am not a daily user of these tools and don't like the idea of having another charger and extra batteries to maintain.  I may have to look at the B&D line of power tools to be common with their yard tools.  I have really liked my 12V DeWalt that has been very reliable.  But since these brands are in the same family maybe they share some product quality.

I have no official knowledge on this subject, so keep that in mind when reading this.

I would NEVER put a DeWALT lithium battery in ANY other tool.  The 20v MAX battery has virtually NO electronics in it, so the chances of it being damaged by being used in a tool that was not designed for is very high.  In my mind there is absolutely no point in ruining a valuable battery, that is worth about as much as the string trimmer, when you can buy another B&D battery for $30-$50.  I do not imagine that this would go well.  That's just my 2 cents though.

Thanks jkones,  You may be right about misappplying the battery into some application with a very different current draw but I would not expect to have a problem with the battery or the tools.  I am unsure if there is any sort of circuit protection in either of the batteries. 

Thanks jkones,  You may be right about misappplying the battery into some application with a very different current draw but I would not expect to have a problem with the battery or the tools.  I am unsure if there is any sort of circuit protection in either of the batteries. 

Lithium batteries in power tools always HAVE to have an electronic component to monitor a number of factors.  The electronics are programed for specific batteries, so you need to use the correct batteries with the correct tools.  The 20v MAX DeWALT battery has essentially zero electronics, because the 20v MAX tools have the electronics in the trigger of the tool.  So if you hook the 20v MAX battery up to something that is not programmed to shut the battery down at the correct discharge amount, it will ruin the battery.  The B&D will be significantly less intensive of electronics, but the same idea applies.

For you reference on the brand names, B&D is Stanley Black & Decker's consumer brand, while DeWALT is the professional/premium brand; so though both brands are held by the same company, they are VASTLY different quality level tools.

Hope this helps!

• 4 years later...

G2KslVlLb-s4U_ABiniMTqvhIebLwbJE8M5jaav5R79eHUXXX7nn3gsbKpv0qBbhzfXVzpKl7eUJ8yBXKEY2vSWlOLX_IJF7anRP1LJ0YrSfRxtdTmmwvcMc2bX6UIvgvEnVHt4ycKb_yYzdIEB65WwqRIjUqhIH-qpQsSL8iticiYLy6VLEo0cL5sOUMMeaR7ahnq5X0sIghxNAfaSIPee5gkmMoLFxYiDFJNaQEljxQWLZ_l39AxzpwBroJ-PvvB05uS_UIIqrZ-Gv5fyz3eNJX7USmq3JdI8je0wI5L6BYVCgaRHSrYqlK5vMSqfzlnEbrxypDkfHcmYX59kZL1TWax_hFQjx4MYLJaVCg359r8Zh9dhPvrapaQvzV26wigWkSLQ_nEt52imvm--TMfkku2piAvk6NfDpMEojc4h0FHrWjTYAvEO51QT73xUKnY-1feUR6DLTLEQFd8fEBirmM3kZTJv_Uem5nj5orlHRl782W9lSNUXT_l3KJJKMpe2guujNS_j15LLsmPrj05uCXG9GdUgGZza183lFg42ByXP6jDoj2cwCvGVYcQrFJiMSnvpeaUh4Ub2eHde4FT3lUWilFu8t6MwsmD7G9uePc43ld7Mdj7tvqdHHnsE5AeFJ6Jb5D1cFvQGRRk9GvbvMNkWUOiNYHVEvbfOkQw=w1135-h638-no

Left is a Porter Cable right is a Black and Decker as you can see are Identical.  Fatmax and Bostitch batteries are also the same on the inside.  With VERY LITTLE physical modification to the cases these batteries are all interchangeable.

lYv_64jIw9v2Q74uytI8XP6ayi9o0a_iRReAWcfm1qfyfkMtfS4HGKQCgKsdHkMgtxVQxdQ6ZN-h0ABBJZipY5zEmElklrlNIxrCvJctV5PXntE4PASGHEgSvzga_m8qOZgv48r-WNy9_lJj_G83V2LuDn7bnFSYPfZChEzU6dAYCsji3QI-AGb3Apc-jw9BVDbtLdo30G-bd_C-8BoCh20rzaMC82XPAv9YJk8QDJM5yCa4-I7rkkr78-6PtHRMv_1gzcmR7l6HfmoIUeufwTHKaH2Ee4HcoDn9wwKRps3sDcbkOuzIinQB_nUYi7UXCdtKm2wrXunGHRcBsyHwrtUcf4TKbVwyO8czjqrxkaRkT7bVKfqFWoRANSv_ZGynpnS3frtEaZmfJ0QZ7vg1VEcxP_ZINyL-Zg8k3YAy2nm7joXUZNWje-NccaMIyXwvtgWgynhaHVUAYusg9-EWIAVCdBIWwbX2J7tRjpBANi_8T_2z408bDJ6HkV26qFNcBKZzvN4yJYgcvXuchUkgTypwQh741cbGIzUS1yIci7ZINkX5PUCHjJGLGFZvtFoRsV10gm01DrkgTG_IFpuNzh_tJjw2fWNtwe-RBmfSy9iR8Od--Z-ORSPbmVYoVp7cfV3dMoeMtQc_orGHA2A3V00iaOnBQuSAwZqBZAE2Kw=w1135-h638-no

More of the discussion @ToolGuyD https://discuss.toolguyd.com/t/this-is-inspired-by-the-toolguyd-battery-article/158

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...