Tough Box racking in my Van..

rossi7x

Not exactly 'showing off' my Dewalt tool collection, but I thought I'd show how I've racked my Van to get them to the Job-site. I have basically welded a 1" x 1" box section steel framework together and bolted on the van in such a way that it is removable.

The Tough System boxes fix to the same arms as the trolley system, so each box is removable independently.

During build...

IMG_0377.jpg

After some ply detailing and racking to maximise storage around the Tough System

IMG_0664.jpg

And the other side of the Van with general 'Ply' shelving

image-1.jpg

Enjoy..

• Like 4

Hi rossi7xx

I was talking to you at the tool fair in sandown park for about an hour. We were quizzing you!

Must say I was most impressed with the tough box for the kettle!

Have a look at mr yellows rack system, have been chatting with him recently and actually sent him pics I took of your racking.

I've ordered all the boxes and brackets now. You should be on commission.

Just got to decide to construct it like your system or mr yellows.

Have you got any pics of your guide rails, I'm sure every one will be impressed with them!

Dan

Hi Dan...

Thanks for taking the time at Sandown to come and see the Van.. Between there and Kempton Park (D&M Toolfair) the van was pretty much mobbed and pretty well received..

You probably have more pics of my van than me.. In fact it would be cool to see some others..

I have tried to look at Mr Yellow's photo's on this forum, but I cannot seem to view them. They appear to be blank in the thread, or little blue boxes where (I guess) images should be..

Again, would be great to see his photo's at some time..

I will get some photo's of the rails tomorrow, and post them up..

Hope you enjoyed the rest of the show. If you need anything else (info) regarding the van, just drop me a line as I have lots of build pics..

Cheers

Jules...

You have a nice van, both inside and out! I like those T5's, but for our company they are just too small.

May I ask about your wheels. Are those the standard steel rims from a T5? I like your banded wheels. Might be something for my van because alloy wheels are a no go due to the overall weight.

Thanks for the compliments Mr Yellow. I take it you must be looking at photo's sent to you by Dano-UK, or some that have hit the Internet from somewhere else.. Yes they are standard steel wheels from a VW T5

T32 model. They have been banded from 6.5j to 8.5j on the fronts, and 9.5j on the rears, and then powder coated in Audi 'bright' Silver.  I am running 225/50/17 tyres which give a little 'Euro look' stretch on the rears. The van is lowered and sits on fully adjustable coil-over suspension...

• 9 months later...

Hi there thinking of doing something like this myself.. Can I ask we're did you get the carpet to cover the ply and the bulk head in. As can only find stupid lengths like 1mx1m and todo the sides and the bulk head it would be all patchy.. Also we're you have the last 2 boxes closest to the back doors what did you do about the wheel well. As they all look perfectly in line..

Thanks G

Hi Gman...

I got all my carpet and sound proofing from a company in the UK called Classic Accoustics.. As for the last 2 boxes at floor level, the metal frame racking is positioned in such a way that the boxes are only held by a single outer arm, This is because of the height of the inner wheel arch..

It works well, and there is next to no movement with the boxes on the floor, as I have used Industrial safety floor (Non-Slip Vinyl) to cover the ply on the floor....

PM me for further info....

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

hold on a sec while I pick up my jaw that just fell on the floor...That's amazing man, really nice stuff. You even dovetailed the shelf faces as a nice touch. If I were a customer, I would immediately take notice of how well organized your van is and feel relieved that you know what your doing and you take pride in your work. Great stuff. Take care

• Like 1

hold on a sec while I pick up my jaw that just fell on the floor...That's amazing man, really nice stuff. You even dovetailed the shelf faces as a nice touch. If I were a customer, I would immediately take notice of how well organized your van is and feel relieved that you know what your doing and you take pride in your work. Great stuff. Take care

Thanks NaluRash... Always nice to hear appreciation form other trades guys.. When I first built the racking, I thought I might get some stick from people... However, to the contrary, it's been quite an eye opener as to how many people have asked and/or e-mailed for advice on how it was done..

Rossi van is very organised and it defiantly reflects the man.

The locking section on the back a standard L bar would work but I had mine made so it wasn't exactly 90 so that it pulls in better.

Cheers Dano.. Thanks for the compliment.. Not spoken for a while.. Must give you a call..

Nice dove tail joints on those wooden racks. Is that your handy work? 

Yes Nordraw... When I first built the idea of racking, I did so with the basic plywood butted together, glued and screwed.. When Dewalt saw the Racking idea in the flesh, they asked if I could take the Van to a End user show, to encourage guys to see what could be done with Tough System.. Knowing it was going to come under scrutiny from the trade, I decided to re-do the plywork and make the shelves out of Good Quality Birch ply, and dovetail them.. It also led to me using Industrial grade Vinyl flooring in the Van too.. Colour was just a little 'homage' to the brand of course..

I noticed that the other day. They look like half blind dovetails? I can't zoom on my phone

Yes they are... The fact is that I was actually trying to do 'thru' dovetails, but my Jig I have only allows dovetails of a certain length to be cut, hence they ended up 'stopped' or 'blind'... Real critics would point out that actually the Dovetails run the wrong way (for strength purposes), and that would be true.. However, this was a conscious decision to do so, so that I could keep them on show, rather than covered by the ply end panel used to hang the Dewalt trestles on...

• 1 month later...