What does hot/cold pack delay mean on the charger?

mws_1984

I have a DeWalt bundle package. Have had it for a few years now. It is 18 volt with DC9099 battery packs. Now I don't use them often. But when I charge them now, one of them appears to be flashing the Hot/Cold pack delay. Now what does this mean? Is the pack about to crap out on me or what. I'm pretty sure it works just fine when I use it in a tool. My other pack charges just fine.

I do make sure the charger is up off the ground and isn't overheating or anything, so just a bit puzzled. Could I charge them too often and this is happening?

What happens if I leave a pack on the charger that is flashing the hot/cold pack delay?

I'm really in no position to buy new packs because of the price. Hopefully I get a reply cause I'm baffled as to what this is all about.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old topic but are you sure you are seeing the hot/cold code, Dash dot dot dash dot dot, or was it the replace pack, dot dot dot...

I know that when I have been working my 18Vs hard and I put it on the charger I will get the hot/ cold message. 

If you're strapped for cash you can try to repair the battery by isolating the bad cell and "jumpstart"  the cell from an adjacent cell or replace the cells all together. There are how to's on the You Tube. I'm not sure how cost effective this is but it can be an option to explore. 

If it is indeed the Hot/Cold delay, there is simply a thermistor taped to the side of one of the cells.  One side is connected to the side of the top cell and the other is connected to the small contact beside the 2 main power contacts at the plug on the battery.  You can buy one on ebay for $4.  Just search "dewalt thermistor", the vendor is VoltMan.

• 4 months later...

Totally forgot about this post. I wasn't keeping track of which pack it was. But now I am having an issue where after a full charge I can notice that one is underpowered just by hearing it used in a tool and comparing it to how it sounds. 

How would I go about testing to see if it has the amount of voltage it should after a full charge. I have a Multimeter, but kind of not sure how to use it. 

Also if it was required I need to replace a thermistor does that mean opening pack up? 

So can anyone help on this? I am now again getting the hot/cold pack delay. What do I need to do exactly to fix this? I know the battery is already weak and it was charging ok but not being as powerful enough compared to one I know is still good. I can hear it when I use a tool. 

I'm not able to buy any new batteries unfortunately. Things are expensive!

Looks like you are stuck getting a new pack or two. I know I routinely see 2 packs of 9096 batteries for $99 at Lowe's and Home Depot, it probably happens 5-6 times a year. Normally they are $119. Lucky for you Labor day is right around the corner and one of them will have them on sale. Save $25 a week for the next few weeks and you will be good to go.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a super old question but somebody's going to come in here and want the answer. The hot cold pack delay is a long short long short light. This happens when your battery is too hot or too cold. When the battery cools off or warms up it will resume charging. All is well 🙂

• 2 years later...

Thanks.  I know this is an old topic but I was having the same problem and looked at your post. I live in Florida, USA and had the charger in the garage. I solved the problem putting the batteries in the fridge for a couple of hours and charged them inside the house.

• 8 months later...