Tough System Radio

Eaubouy

I have mine hanging in my rack now as well. Removed a DS300 so I can store the radio and another DS150.

Noticed the radio doesn't line up perfectly with the surrounding boxes. So I'm gonna drill 2 extra holes to fix that. Purely easthetic, nothing functional.

Also, I don't give much for the nipples that slot in the top of the brackets. For now it holds up, but I'm gonna change that. 

After seeing the video from DeWALT for this radio it makes sense to not add side handles. They purely designed it for the cart and you can lock it in place with the steel bar that grabs into the backplate. They didn't think about us with van racking ;)

Have been using the radio on site this week I am well impressed. Those subwoofers are amazing. Even at low volume. 

And because of that I am impressed by the runtime on a 5.0Ah. Considering it has 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers. I get the same if not better runtime than my old DCR017.

What I also like, and it's good that they brought this feature back, is when you are charging your battery and unplug the adapter the radio keeps playing.

The DCR017, if you did that, the radio would turn off and you had to turn it on again. The model before that kept playing also when unplugging.

It's a little thing, but I appreciate it.

As for the side handle problem. I found a nice fix that, once mounted (not done yet), barely looks like a modification.

I ordered the springloaded tabs that are found on the DeWALT ToughSystem organizer. You can buy them as spare parts. (keep in mind, there is a left and right version, so you have to get them both)

If you want to mount them with the tabs facing down (hinge part facing up, like it is on the organizer) you'll have to cut some little bits from the side of the radio to make it fit. However, you can also mount them upside down with the tabs facing up. This way you don't have to cut anything and there is room to play with how much movement you want to have before it locks in place.

The only tricky part is fixing them onto the radio. You can use screws, but I don't know if there is anything directly behind the sides of the radio and the radio isn't on the service website yet, so no drawings to inspect.

I'm going to open it up, drill 2 small holes and use a little bolt and nut to fix them. This way I can make sure it won't damage any internal components and I prefer this over using a screw.

Pics to follow sometime next week...(I need to wait for my organizer to come in, to use one of the tabs, because they messed up my order and received only 1 tab and a metal latch)

• Like 2

So I got my Toughystem organizer in and removed the tabs. I have to get some stainless steel bolts + nuts to attach it to the radio.

I did open up one side of the radio. I was afraid I had to open up the whole thing, but you can unscrew the sides very easily. Just loosen the little screws on the sides and you can remove the cover. There isn't anything underneath there, so you can yank a screw right through if you want. See pics below.

When placing the tabs upside down you can mount them in 2 ways, like shown in these pictures.

This first way, the mounting hole sits up too close to an existing screw that keeps the sideplate in place. You could saw/file one edge from the tab so the holes lines up perfectly and just use a longer screw to mount everything at once.

This creates enough play between the bracket and tab. A bit too much I think.

post-44968-0-83240500-1448311957_thumb.j

Or you can place them like this. You have to drill holes, or just yank a screw in there if you want. This way you have more control over the 'play' when it's locked.

post-44968-0-85232800-1448311984_thumb.j

And here's a picture from the right side that I opened up. Nothing to be damaged. As for the little electronics on the left side...it seems the handle also functions as the antenna. Nice one :)

post-44968-0-45416400-1448312018_thumb.j

And ofcourse the radio deserves top spot in my Toughrack ;)

post-44968-0-81469600-1448312041_thumb.j

• Like 2

@ Locksmithmatt

They are great. Think I'll get me a couple more of those DS100's. 

I like the 1st photo, but the 2nd one is the best I think. Also, because in photo 1, you have to cut the corner from the tab, on the right side to make the holes line up. This gives like 8mm play between the bracket and tab. It's ok, but I rather have it a bit more tight. 

I don't even know how much play there normally is with the cases, but it ain't much. You need some though.

Just take a bracket, put it on the radio and then keep the tab on there and you'll see what I mean :)

Oh, and don't forget to cut off the nipple. It will slide on much easier then and there is no need for it anyway with the tabs mounted.

• Like 1

Got the tabs mounted. It works perfectly. Click in place and it's locked.

I hadn't opened up the left side earlier, but there is a metal plate behind it. Maybe that's the aerial...?

post-44968-0-42309600-1448474769_thumb.j

I've highlighted the place where you need to cut a small portion of the rib (also on the right side of the radio) to allow the nut on the inside of the cover to 'sink' into, because the underside of the cover sits flat on those ribs.

What I did was first lining everything up; bracket and tab and drill the hole in the cover (with the cover being off) and then put the cover on the radio and drill a tiny bit to mark the place to be cut. Cut it out with some cutting pliers and you're good to go.

Easy, cheap and looks like an authentic solution ;)

post-44968-0-48748400-1448475007_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
10 hours ago, Luke forbes said:

I have had my dewalt tough system radio for almost a year now and it will shut off on its own saying it’s too cold, regardless of it being plugged in to the wall or using a fully charged battery. Any ideas how to fix it?

Is yours the original or 2.0 version.  I haven't heard of this happening, but the "improved" Tough system 2.0 radio had a slew of problems.  I've owned mine since 2016 with no issues, and the ones I gave a friend and my brother have also been issue-free.

Have you tried contacting DeWalt?  The radio may be covered under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

What pictures????

On 3/1/2014 at 5:31 PM, Eaubouy said:

Butchered a small case, to adapt to a Radio......Now it is no longer sittin on the Floor.

In Picture #3, the Dewalt Portable  Vac and Flex Light are both held in place, by using a dead 18V battery, with the batteries removed and the empty case screwed into the appropriate location. Tool locks on to the battery case and keeps them secure.