Hilti cordless tools

JGuz

Looking at a new impact driver set. it has become my favorite tool, the one I now use the most and whit impact ready drill bits and spade bits, I use it more than ever. Was looking at the Hilti SID 18V LI-Ion impact driver. How does this tool compare with the newer brushless milwaukee,dewalt,makita,bosch,etc? It is 350-400 dollars, is it worth it. I am a commercial property manager/GC, so it is a tool I use often. Any comments would be appreciated

Hilti makes great stuff TIA has reviewed a bunch of their tools and never have anything negative to say about Hitli. The only thing is you might want to make sure you have a Hilti service center close by just in-case any thing does go wrong.

• 1 year later...

I've been using a Hilti 14.4V impact driver for the last six years or so and it hasn't let me down once. The original batteries are still working like new. I've used it for most of my drilling plus fastening over the years and it's been more of a go-to tool than I ever imagined it would be. Just lately the chuck is starting to wobble a little, so I'm in the market for something new and may get another Hilti. 

I just switched from the Milwaukee fuel M18 Impact to the Hilti SID18a. It is a dramatic difference.

Firstly, the Milwaukee is a good impact. My only complaints are the loose forward/reverse switch and the screechy sound of the motor. The weight and balance are pretty good too.

The Hilti is in a whole other class. The grip is way more comfortable and has better ergonomics. The tool has a much smoother sounding motor, quieter and no screech.

Milwaukee claims to have slightly more torque, but the Hilti is definitely the beast of the two. Marketing BS aside, the Milwaukee is very torquey. The 4 lights on the Hilti are around the chuck and don't produce any shadows like the Milwaukee.

Battery life is pretty close too. Don't go by the marketing crap. Hilti is 3.3ah but 22volts max, while Milwaukee is 4ah at 18v. Same crap. Same basic longevity. 72 watt vs 71.3 watt.

The biggest difference is warranty. While both offer great warranties, hilti will cap the cost of a repair on tools that are over the warranty period. If you buy a rotary hammer dill and 6 years later it blows up, you won't pay more than a set amount to fix or replace it.

If you want an investment in quality tools you will have for a very long time, go Hilti.

I will add a couple of pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkc919ed2eda6cdfa037d8446a4f2fa67b.jpg900e14aaa8f5e9a9e40f1eda82d1c903.jpgd0ccb6135631b034e70848b7af514694.jpg

I do think the hilti impact has to take a step back next to makita's top of the line impact.

Which one is that? I loved the ergonomics of my brushless Makita, it just didn't have the torque. They said it was xxxx inch pounds of torque but had issues with it under performing. I preferred it to the Milwaukee for feel and build quality. It wouldn't have touched the Hilti though.

What's the model# of the new one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even one of their smallest and cheapest impacts on the 18V are brushless, like the DTD129. And it is a fair bit weaker(on paper anyways) than the same torque DTD148 that is in a another class . So a model numbere here is critical. The 1/4" hex is probably the weak link in any modern powerfull driver anyway. 

Have the 1/2 inch square version, and is very similar to the DTD148, but the torque-rating is almost twice. Some power is lost from each impact on the thin and weak hex shanks.

Take a look at the Dewalt, I am not going to say bad things about the Hilti.. They have good products, all pro brands have..

But what I will say is you have up to 90 days ( depends where you are from in the world) to test the Dewalt impact and if you don't like it you get your $ back

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-impact-drivers-dcf886m2.aspx

Why do you think it is bad it's made in China?

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when premium brands which are known for quality take their production from wherever it was (North America or Europe) and move it to China and don't pass on any savings to consumers. In my experience it signals a desire to increase profits in all ways possible, including design changes that take products toward a "build to a price" philosophy.

There is NO WAY a fresh, Chinese employee is going to be as concerned about the quality of the work they do for a brand like Hilti or Fluke or whatever, as the people are who have been making those products natively for years because they don't know the brand histories and have no incentive to work hard to maintain the reputation of some white guys from other countries other than the few bucks a day they're thrown to do their job. If you were repping for Szenzen Lucky Tools you would probably be less inclined to sell as hard as you maybe are to sell DeWalt tools, no?

The products I've seen from China from brands which previously manufactured here or in Europe (including Hilti...) were of lower quality than they had been before. The only reasons a manufacturer decides to move production to China is to lower costs or to give them better access to the local market. Either way, it means that I don't count as much as a customer as I did before.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when premium brands which are known for quality take their production from wherever it was (North America or Europe) and move it to China and don't pass on any savings to consumers. In my experience it signals a desire to increase profits in all ways possible, including design changes that take products toward a "build to a price" philosophy.

There is NO WAY a fresh, Chinese employee is going to be as concerned about the quality of the work they do for a brand like Hilti or Fluke or whatever, as the people are who have been making those products natively for years because they don't know the brand histories and have no incentive to work hard to maintain the reputation of some white guys from other countries other than the few bucks a day they're thrown to do their job. If you were repping for Szenzen Lucky Tools you would probably be less inclined to sell as hard as you maybe are to sell DeWalt tools, no?

The products I've seen from China from brands which previously manufactured here or in Europe (including Hilti...) were of lower quality than they had been before. The only reasons a manufacturer decides to move production to China is to lower costs or to give them better access to the local market. Either way, it means that I don't count as much as a customer as I did before.

It is sad, but that's how things are now. Not everything made in China is inferior or poor quality. China will build whatever you spec. Is the iPhone crap? Tolerances and quality at up to the customer.

I wish that companies would realize that people will may a little more for products made locally or even globally. I like German stuff, always have. I would buy a made in USA tool. Canadian made, sure. But if it costs 2-3 times more, Ni Hao ....

It is sad, but that's how things are now. Not everything made in China is inferior or poor quality. China will build whatever you spec. Is the iPhone crap? Tolerances and quality at up to the customer.

I wish that companies would realize that people will may a little more for products made locally or even globally. I like German stuff, always have. I would buy a made in USA tool. Canadian made, sure. But if it costs 2-3 times more, Ni Hao ....

I know it's not all inferior, and I have stuff made in China as well. What I find offensive is when production of top dollar products gets moved to China and the cost doesn't come down. It's why I don't buy Carhartt products anymore. $50 or $60 for a pair of US union made work pants is one thing. The same or higher price for those pants made in China by cheap labor is offensive.

I don't agree completely that Chinese workers are automatically able to make industrial or tool products to the same specs as their Western counterparts for the simple reason that even among Western workers, there are different levels of quality standards and expectations built into our various cultures and the Chinese, who have lived for many decades under communism, have a very low standard of quality ingrained in their culture. American made hand tools tend to be slightly less refined than German made hand tools but still miles ahead of many other hand tools. There were tradeoffs that a consumer could take into account when making a purchase that don't exist today if all the major tool manufacturers are going to produce in China. If I had a choice between similar impact drivers from the EU or from China, and the EU model cost $100 more, I'm pretty sure it would be a better tool based on my own past experience.

Aside from quality issues, I also think it's just plain sad when Western countries eliminate industrial production from our societies. It's already making us less technically adept.

I know it's not all inferior, and I have stuff made in China as well. What I find offensive is when production of top dollar products gets moved to China and the cost doesn't come down. It's why I don't buy Carhartt products anymore. $50 or $60 for a pair of US union made work pants is one thing. The same or higher price for those pants made in China by cheap labor is offensive.

I don't agree completely that Chinese workers are automatically able to make industrial or tool products to the same specs as their Western counterparts for the simple reason that even among Western workers, there are different levels of quality standards and expectations built into our various cultures and the Chinese, who have lived for many decades under communism, have a very low standard of quality ingrained in their culture. American made hand tools tend to be slightly less refined than German made hand tools but still miles ahead of many other hand tools. There were tradeoffs that a consumer could take into account when making a purchase that don't exist today if all the major tool manufacturers are going to produce in China. If I had a choice between similar impact drivers from the EU or from China, and the EU model cost $100 more, I'm pretty sure it would be a better tool based on my own past experience.

Aside from quality issues, I also think it's just plain sad when Western countries eliminate industrial production from our societies. It's already making us less technically adept.

You can always tell when profit steps over quality.

I stand behind Hilti only because I know they have strict standards and a warranty that backs it up.

I decided to by Klein diagonal cutters , made is USA. What garbage.

The cutting edges were so misaligned, the forging made them so tight. Why am I paying a premium for an American made tool that has clearly gotten sloppy in quality department? I bought Knipex and NWS, what a difference. Precise and a great feel.

Why can't Klein get it together? U.S. made isn't worth anything if it's crap.

If you want a mostly made in germany product, Mafell is probably one of your best shots: http://katalog.mafell.de/index.php?IdTreeGroup=12928&IdProduct=30254

https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/power-tools/drilling/704195/mafell-cordless-impact-drill-driver-asb18-m-bl-maximax-in-mafell-max?elioOrdernumber=704195

Their reputation is solid, even though I haven't used them myself, and the price is usually in another dimension. But hell, it looks fantastic. :) Angle head with up to 100nm torque. Damn. :D

A tad less powerfull than the makita, with "only" 90nm, but at a measly 1,8kg I probably wouldn't mind most of the time. 

Take a look at the Dewalt, I am not going to say bad things about the Hilti.. They have good products, all pro brands have..

But what I will say is you have up to 90 days ( depends where you are from in the world) to test the Dewalt impact and if you don't like it you get your $ back

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-impact-drivers-dcf886m2.aspx

Is this valid in ireland

I think Milwaukee has the worst warranty.

Dewalt - 1 year wear and tear. 3 year limited no wear and tear, does not cover battery. The 90 day money back is nice if you want to rent a tool, lol.

Hilti - 2 year unconditional warranty, includes wear and tear. Credit for old tools to upgrade to new. Lifetime warranty after 2 years, you will not be charged more than 30% of retail to repair or replace tool. Covers battery. Repair comes with 6 month warranty.

Milwaukee - limited 5 year warranty, does not cover wear and tear. Does not cover battery.

Makita - limited 3 year, does not cover battery or wear and tear. 30 day money back.