m18 or m12 Fuel purchase

cwebby

I'm not a pro so I'd probably go with an M12 Fuel kit with the Hammer and Impact. Plenty of power for me and both tools will pretty much do what most other 18v will do. Certainly not the M18 Fuel or Bosch (or Dewalt...sniff) but enough for me for most apps.

The M18 wins if you need a circular saw or a full sized sawzall. I know the M12 hackzall is coming out soon and there are rumors of a possible M12 circular saw. It depends on what kind of power you need and the tools that you require. I have both the M12 and M12 drill and Impact driver. The compact size of the M12 does has if benefits.

I'll add to DR99' comment, if you go with the M18 Sawzall get the Fuel Sawzall! The M18 Sawzall is not a good Recip in my opinion. No adjustable shoe and the power is ehhhhh....that's saying a lot because i love the M18 line and the circular saw is decent enough but (and I HATE to admit it) my Makita LXT Recip was a better Recip saw. That being said the Fuel Sawzall is supposed to be the bees knees.

I prefer the smaller size of the 12v stuff but if I had to choose only one lineup Id go for the m18. Better to have full power if only choosing one line up although I think if milwaukee comes up with a high performance m12 circular saw and heavy duty drill then I wouldn't have much need for 18 volt

It really just depends on your needs and what you currently have.

I love my M12 stuff. I reach for it 2 out of 3 times because of the compact size a lightweight. For a lot of jobs it's perfect.

However, if I were starting out I'd get an M18 set first, because handy as the M12 may be, there are just some times you need that extra grunt to make it happen. You aren't going to run 1" spade bits or 3" hole saws for hours with an M12.

Start with the M18 and add M12 as you go because the M12 stuff is more for convenience IMO.

right now i can but m12 fuel kit with impact and hammerdrill 2.0 battery and 4.0 battery 259.00

or m18 fuel hamer and impact with 2 4.0 batterys for 299.99  because trade in promotion.

i have the m18 fuel kit  now just want the m12 fuel to add to the line up 

its nice to have the option to use smaller

• 1 month later...

As a pro, I'd definitely choose M18, if I had to pick. As I do mostly service jobs, I bring my M12 stuff in first, and it get's 3/4's of what I need done, but I couldn't live without the power of my M18 Fuel hammer drill or Sawzall, when it's needed. Nor, could I give up the M18 flood light.