Dewalt Loose Battery

Coppertone

Greetings,

First off, I'm really glad I found this forum to converse with other tool folks.  I look forward to learning a lot and contributing in ways that I can.

I picked up a Dewalt DCD 790 Drill yesterday and immediately upon unboxing and slipping on the battery, I noticed that the battery fits very loosely and wobbles.  If I shake the drill in my hand, the battery wobbles and rattles.  This happens with both batteries.  Is this normal?

My Porter Cable 18v impact driver has two springs and the battery "snaps" on and is held firmly in place.....no movement at all once on.  Is my dewalt missing said springs?

Thanks in advance!

Dewalt doesn't have the spring loaded battery like Porter Cable, but I don't have any newer Dewalt 20v tools to see how much play they have in the battery contact area. They do want to have some room so that the battery packs are easy to slide on and off.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got a refurbished DeWalt DCK281D2 drill & driver set. One of the first things I noticed was that the battery didn't stay snugly attached to the tools. I was afraid I got a bum set, so I did some research and found that about half the people out there seem to encounter this. Here's my solution; I layered two small strips of gorilla tape behind the catch, on the battery, and it seems to keep the battery snug to the tool without getting in the way.

47ac5bb4fd3c8d029486aa3cc43af80f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea for whatever reason the battery's fit most of my tools slightly loose, I have 1.5, 2.0, 4.0 and 5.0 packs and they all have a little play in the packs, nothing to be concerned about.

Jimbo

Edit: just want to clarify that they are not truly lose where that would be concerned but some tools have just a little bit of play in them. The dewalts don't seem to fit as snug as the m18 packs do.

I just got a refurbished DeWalt DCK281D2 drill & driver set. One of the first things I noticed was that the battery didn't stay snugly attached to the tools. I was afraid I got a bum set, so I did some research and found that about half the people out there seem to encounter this. Here's my solution; I layered two small strips of gorilla tape behind the catch, on the battery, and it seems to keep the battery snug to the tool without getting in the way.47ac5bb4fd3c8d029486aa3cc43af80f.jpg

. First off welcome to the Forum Eric!! I also have the 20v line and I think my dcd985 had a lil bit of play but like jumbo said not enough to cause concern, Thanks for the tip man I'm gonna try that out.

• 3 weeks later...