Mechanics tool set

jenskolson

You'll get alot of opinions about which brand(s) to get or what brand(s) to avoid.  There are those who will bash because the internet gives them a place to be heard and those who will praise because brand x is what they have so its the best.

I've been spinning wrenches for nearly 40 years and have just about every brand there is.  I have armstrong, bahco, cornwell, craftsman, carlyle, sk, proto, easco, indestro, blue point, gearwrench, harbor freight, knipex, channellock, husky, and many others.  The list is just to extensive to name them all.

After all of this time I can honestly say there really isn't a whole lot of difference between them all.  Some fit my hands better, some are stamped so they are easier to see, some have finishes that I prefer, etc etc.

The biggest thing is buy what you can afford.  There is a reason why our country is in the financial mess it is in now.  If you can only afford one of something get the one that is the easiest to warranty.  Even tool truck tools will and can break.  Over time you will develop you own personal preferences on what you like.

All in all nearly every hand tool brand I have has done fine with just a few exceptions in certain circumstances

I would try to stay away from Craftsman products I'm not too sure about the future of Sears long term, so you might have warranty issues down the road. Plus they keep closing stores to getting a replacement might not be convenient anymore in the future too. I doubt the Craftsman brand will die it still has some value to it I bet a big box store would end up buying it if they get a good deal on it. I honestly thing Sears should just open Craftsmen stores. They had the concept years ago it was called Sears Home and Hardware it was a place that you could just but tools and some of the Kenmore appliances they didn't carry major kitchen appliances though just some small appliances and water heaters and such. It was a cool concept till sears killed it. I wanted to work there back in the day for the store discount as a teen! Wasn't old enough or had a better job by then.

I wouldn't place much credibility in this post.

Is there a retailer right now that has a guaranteed future right now?  Lets see---  JC penny has recently shuttered some stores.  Staples and Radio shack has announced closures of hundreds and hundreds of stores.  Best Buy is shuttering stores.  Target sales took a hit with the security breach.  Wal-mart is showing same stores sales declines.  Well Amazon looks pretty good.  However they benefit from show rooming.  What happens if and when Sears and best buy goes away.  Where are folks going to look at the products?  Not to mention states are after Amazon for lost sales tax revenues.

I forgot Home depot.  They shuttered stores at the beginning of the recession.  Now the closest one near me is a hundred miles away.

I guess you must be reading stock broker experts internet blogs.  Yea the same assholes that were touting mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps  several years ago as a no loose investment.  I lost about a half a million dollars in my 401k when the market crashed.  

The craftsman hardware stores you are talking about.  There is a reason why they killed it.  It wasn't profitable.  See the thing is most people don't do things themselves any more.  They hire a lawn service, carry their car to jiffy lube for oil changes, call a painter to paint a room, etc etc.  No time to do these things when one is running to soccer practice, working over time, caring for elderly parents and other things.

Now as far as Sears closing full line stores...  Yea there will be more, however a Sears Hometown store almost always follows up.  So there is still a place to exchange broken tools or buy new ones.  Look at the most recent Sears P&L.  Sears division showed a slight sales increase with gains in its SYWR programs.  They are still the number one retailer in tools and appliances.  Whether or not their current strategy will pay off remains to be seen

Retail brick and mortar is over saturated right now.  Something like 48 square feet of retail space for every person in this country.  Everybody in the business is going to be downsizing over the foreseeable future

Well Placed a big order last night. 

Ended up getting the 15pc Gearwrench Combination Wrenches. Sorry Conductor, I did try to order the Proto but both Zoro and ToolUp said the set was discontinued by their supplier. I thought the gear wrench was a nice compromise and I little less expensive.

Got the Tekton stubby wrenches, Tekton Crowfoot sets, Gearwrench 120p Regular and Flex head ratchets, Gearwrench 2x needle nose pliers, Craftsman Ultimate Socket set, and Craftsman 21pc extensions and adaptors

And I will be going down Friday to get the Harbor freight 56" tool cabinet.

This should get me buy till my amazon finger wants something else.

• Like 1

I would try to stay away from Craftsman products I'm not too sure about the future of Sears long term, so you might have warranty issues down the road. Plus they keep closing stores to getting a replacement might not be convenient anymore in the future too. I doubt the Craftsman brand will die it still has some value to it I bet a big box store would end up buying it if they get a good deal on it. I honestly thing Sears should just open Craftsmen stores. They had the concept years ago it was called Sears Home and Hardware it was a place that you could just but tools and some of the Kenmore appliances they didn't carry major kitchen appliances though just some small appliances and water heaters and such. It was a cool concept till sears killed it. I wanted to work there back in the day for the store discount as a teen! Wasn't old enough or had a better job by then.

Is there a retailer right now that has a guaranteed future right now?  Lets see---  JC penny has recently shuttered some stores.  Staples and Radio shack has announced closures of hundreds and hundreds of stores.  Best Buy is shuttering stores.  Target sales took a hit with the security breach.  Wal-mart is showing same stores sales declines.  Well Amazon looks pretty good.  However they benefit from show rooming.  What happens if and when Sears and best buy goes away.  Where are folks going to look at the products?  Not to mention states are after Amazon for lost sales tax revenues.

I forgot Home depot.  They shuttered stores at the beginning of the recession.  Now the closest one near me is a hundred miles away.

I guess you must be reading stock broker experts internet blogs.  Yea the same assholes that were touting mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps  several years ago as a no loose investment.  I lost about a half a million dollars in my 401k when the market crashed.  

The craftsman hardware stores you are talking about.  There is a reason why they killed it.  It wasn't profitable.  See the thing is most people don't do things themselves any more.  They hire a lawn service, carry their car to jiffy lube for oil changes, call a painter to paint a room, etc etc.  No time to do these things when one is running to soccer practice, working over time, caring for elderly parents and other things.

Now as far as Sears closing full line stores...  Yea there will be more, however a Sears Hometown store almost always follows up.  So there is still a place to exchange broken tools or buy new ones.  Look at the most recent Sears P&L.  Sears division showed a slight sales increase with gains in its SYWR programs.  They are still the number one retailer in tools and appliances.  Whether or not their current strategy will pay off remains to be seen

Retail brick and mortar is over saturated right now.  Something like 48 square feet of retail space for every person in this country.  Everybody in the business is going to be downsizing over the foreseeable future

So just because I don't have confidence in Sears possibly lasting long term you had to troll my post thanks i appreciate that. I didn't personally attack your intelligence now don't insult mine.

Actually Sears is killing the Hometown and outlet stores. They're spinning off as many brands as they can, like lands end and craftsman selling them through other retailers.

Sears will keep their heads above water for a few more years by selling kmart and real estate. Unless they pull a bunny out of their ass they won't last as a retailer.

The sears here is now in a 700sq ft office space. Once it closes there won't one within 300 miles.

I'll agree with DR if you're buying craftsman warranty could be a pain or nonexistent in the future.

So just because I don't have confidence in Sears possibly lasting long term you had to troll my post thanks i appreciate that. I didn't personally attack your intelligence now don't insult mine.

You are welcome.

Seriously though, I was merely countering your opinion and it is regrettable you took it the way you did.  Also I'm failing to see how your intelligence was insulted as I made no comments concerning it

I get it, it's fashionable to rag on Sears on the net especially given some of the decisions those at the top of Sears make.  However nothing positive comes from such rhetoric.

I can't help wonder a few years when General Motors and Chrysler were in dire circumstances what comparable rhetoric helped the situation.  

The wonders of the interwebs    :roll:

Any of you guys use Sunex tools? I've been using them for years. I have a set of impact swivel sockets that are just as good as my snap-on, mac,matco.

Sunex has some good stuff and some lower grade stuff. Their impact sockets are probably their best offerings. Good stuff.

I actually have this socket set

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-STMT71652-123-Piece-Socket-Set/dp/B009EMKLCC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402443991&sr=8-3&keywords=stanley+socket+set

Not bad for a stanley honestly. If you dont work on cars daily its a decent set to get for the money, I've had my set for 3 years and have used it for several car projects. I have the 201 pc set though

My uncle also owns this set 

http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-39053-Mechanics-Tool-171-Piece/dp/B007K934LQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402444133&sr=8-1&keywords=channellock+socket+set

Good ol channellock!Its been great to him, he's done a lot of engine work with them and pretty much rebuilt 2-3 engines with it

The 301 piece Harbor Freight set I hear is just the best bang for your buck out there period. So help you if you buy anything full price at Harbor Freight. They'll accept numbers off a coupon from your smart phone. Fine folks I've dealt with. I wait for the 20% off your entire purchase of $100 or more, making a list of tools I'm going to buy. And man, when you go into HF with $100, you leave with a cart-full my friend. And so much of their stuff has lifetime warranties. I've gotten things that didn't have a warranty warrantied! Absolutely no hassle whatsoever. I've warrantied things over and over, so many things. Mostly the 22pc screwdriver set, which isn't the best. But they've just come out with new screwdrivers and man, they are leaps and bounds better. 

But I personally wouldn't buy the 301 piece, though there's a lot of reasons a lot of people would and should. But I would take that same amount of money, and buy the items separately. I love their color-coded sockets. I'm a mechanic and I use them everyday. They don't make 6-point shallow 3/8" and 1/2" color coded sockets though, though ONE TIME I SAW ONE. It was one socket out of the set and it was a six-point baby. Must have been a mistake. I did take a picture, and its in my folders somewhere. 

So then I bought Tekton sockets because I'm cheap. Man they look terrible, like the cheapest lowest quality sockets you could imagine. And when I put that thing on an exhaust bolt - melted off like hot butter. Utter junk. That was just my experience, but since then, I've sworn off everything and anything Tekton. So disappointing.

So then I tried buying 6-point 3/8" and 1/2" Genius sockets (because HF doesn't have 6-point color coded sockets). And they've been wonderful. They seem thicker and more robust than your normal socket, and I even use an impact on them (though you should never do this of course!). They just seem strong and they've been holding up for about a year. And Genius is really affordable and priced right for a cheap old bugger like me. The 1/4" HF color coded sockets, the color coded deep sockets, they've all been marvelous and I have no complaints. 

The screwdriver set and other things that come with the 301 piece I just think are terrible. For $10 you can get their new screwdrivers with those beautiful red comfort grips. The wrenches that come with it make me sad and so do the ratchets and extensions and pliers. HF makes great ratchets, extensions, and pliers. Oh their $30 super thin ratchet is a masterpiece, but don't you go torquing like crazy on it. Nonetheless, I've warrantied one without a hassle, though they're usually not in stock, and I think that's because they're misused and break a lot and that whole thing. I like their extra long wrenches, I do, I use them as a mechanic and they're good. Their quick release extensions are absolutely amazing and you'll spend so much more at other places for the same thing. They've got a great selection of pliers and man I just love HF it's just so wrong and yet so so right. Their impact sockets are approved, get the more expensive kinds with the clear labeling, they're only a few dollars more and made of better metal. Garage Journal has a thread about good and bad, approved and unapproved tools at HF. Oh they've got some junk, but from what I've seen, they've got mostly good stuff. But you gotta know the difference. 

Their red toolboxes are absolutely 100% certified and approved. I know many mechanic friends, (including myself) who have their red tool cart or their red tool cabinet ($360 or so) and they are just fantastic. I hate teardrop ratchets man, they don't flex or extend or rotate or bend or anything. But they are what they are.

Oh I hate Tekton, but someone change my mind. If someone's used their tools, abused them, are a mechanic, or whatever, I'm really curious and want to know how your Tekton experience has been, because mine has been terrible. What horrible horrible quality sockets I had from them. 

But anyway, that's what I would do. If you're looking for a good mechanic's tool set, HF is the way to go. I hear great things about their 301 piece set but... I would buy the tools separately, I don't know. I like Genius alright but stay away from their ratchets. Gearwrench makes good wrenches, you've got to have ratcheting wrenches, you cannot live or breathe without them. Etc, etc. Tell us what you end up with and choose! And maybe some pictures. Good luck. 

My experience with Tekton has been really positive. Some of the earlier Tekton stuff was exactly the same stuff HF was selling. Exactly as in same supplier.

Tekton is constantly trying to improve their line and all of their recent updates have been significant improvements over their predecessors.

Another good thing about Tekton is that their customer service is 1st class. They have a hassle free lifetime warranty and a very strong online presence. I've even seen them seek out people leaving negative feedback on Amazon to make it right.

Any of you guys use Sunex tools? I've been using them for years. I have a set of impact swivel sockets that are just as good as my snap-on, mac,matco.

I have the 3/8" SAE 'Master' set with shallow/standard and deep sockets with a universal joint and the SAE mid-length socket set. They seem well made, but I can't say I've used them that much or that my M12 impact wrench will really give them much of a test...

I use the 17mm&19mm 1/2in universals everyday. I also use the 1/4in 10mm universal everyday. There long needle nose pliers are just ok, nothing special. I did buy a set of matco pro non-slip sockets and they are the best sockets I ever used. They get every bolt and nut I've tried loose. They work so well that literally every other tech in the shop bought a set. They make me money every time I use them. I've turned a 1hr cat replacement into a 10 min job with these. No more need to grab the torch. I highly recommend them.

Those Matco Pro-Nonslip sockets look just like spline/universal sockets. But I don't think I've ever seen spline sockets as impacts. They look nice. And I think you've changed my mind on Tekton. Customer service is one of the most important things with me, and if it's true they even go out of their way to help customers on Amazon, well they sound like an alright company. Which reminds me, does Sears and Craftsman have the worst customer service in the world? First of all, they won't warranty Gearwrench tools, that they have in stock in droves, and even warrantying Craftsman tools is a hassle. Maybe this is one of the reasons they're closing stores right and left and losing money, who knows. 

I've got those ratcheting double flex-head long Mountain wrenches (also branded with E-Z Red) and they're spline/universal. Never rounded off a bolt with them and they're one of my favorite tools period. Rumor from the tool truck is that they're going to make them locking in the future. Only thing is sometimes they get stuck and you have to jiggle it to get it off a bolt, but that's a minor complaint, better than not staying on a bolt.

I like Sunex and Genius, and maybe I'll give Tekton another chance. 

I have the EZ-RED long flex ratcheting box wrenches. So far they have been great. Love the length. The Matco sockets are some sort of spline which is why they work so we'll. One of the guys had a craftsman set of spline sockets and we tried them both on a rusted cat shield bolt and the craftsman just couldn't remove it. Even though they are impact I only use hand tools with them.

Ive recently purchased some tekton items based on peoples word here,and I have to say they are way nice for the cost.

They have lifetime warranty too so not much to lose by trying them.

When I figure out what else might be handy they offer I surely wont over look them.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

It’s simple...buy American made if you can always....Americans will appreciate the job you keep them. Or you can buy China crap and support a communist country...which hurts our economy and makes us weaker in the global position. 

Keeping America strong gives us leverage when dealing with China to put pressure on North Korea from continuing their goal of developing intercontinental ballistic nuclear bombs that will reach the USA and destroy everything you just bought and of course all of us too.....

Not to mention American made tools are the best anyway,,   Wright tools ...SK...Proto...Snap On...etc...