Brushless metal chuck problem?

roadhog96

I was reading some reveiws on the DeWalt DCD790 Brushless 20V Drill Driver and since January 2014, there were some reviews about the chuck having a bad wobble right out of the box and the replacement ones were the same. The other complaint was the chuck would loose its grip on the drill.bit.

That was 4 reviews all complaining about the same problem.

This drill uses an all metal chuck, does anyone know if its the same chuck used on the DCD795 Hammer Dril Driver.

Has anyone experience these problems on theirs or has heard of this before?

Well I remember reading many complaints about the DCD735 compact 18V hammer drill driver loosening up its grip while using it so I never bought one for that reason. Maybe this is just a random problem with the chuck on the DCD790, either way the problem does exist, I don't believe all these people made it up. I'm just about ready to buy the DCD790D2 kit but now have second thoughts. My DCD760 18V drill driver has never loosened up, it's the best chuck I've ever had. I really wanted to go brushless this time around. Maybe I'd be better off going with the DCK280C2 compact drill driver and impact kit. This one has had good reviews and no problems reported with the chuck. The other option is seeing how this chuck problem has only been a problem for a few, I could buy the DCD790D2 kit and give the drill a serious workout and see if I can get the chuck to fail, I might get lucky and get a good one if not return it. The last thing I want to do is buy a tool and have to send it to a repair shop to change the chuck.

The people that have issues are going to be the ones that complain about that problem, so while it should be a concern when you buy the tool that their could be a potential issue with the chuck more that likely it was only a few units that were made with that issue. You have a 90 day return window at Lowes and Home Depot to try the tool and see how you like it and if it performs well. I don't have any experience with that model of drill I'm a Milwaukee fan but I haven't heard too many complaints about the Dewalt brushless tools for the most part.

• 10 months later...

Well it's been a while now since I started this thread and it looks like this issue is still surfacing so aparenty the problem hasn't been addressed. I honestly can't figure out how a chuck can wobble on a new drill out of the box and how can it loosen up and the bits fall out. There's a couple more reviews from January and March of 2015. A few from 2013 and 2014.

We took a ride to Lowes today to pick up another compact 12V drill/driver and impact combo kit, this ones for our daughter, she needs a new drill. The combo kit was only $10. more than just the drill. A Dewalt Rep was there and saw that we were buying the kit and asked us why we were buying it. He must of liked our answer because he put a couple of free drill driver bit kits in our basket, one for my wife and one for our daughter to go with their 12V drill. He had a demo display set up with all the 20V tools and a free gift drawing going on. He heard me tell my wife that they had the compact Brushless drill/impact combo kit that I've wanted for a while and he said, if I buy one today he would throw in a free 2.0 ah fuel cell battery. The wife said, just get it, you know you want it so I did. I haven't even opened the box yet and I have second thoughts only because with my luck, I'd be the one to get a bum one. I keep thinking what happens if the chuck acts up after the warrantee is over. Either way I don't want to deal with having to ship this drill out to a repair center at my expense, the way I see it there shouldn't be any problems with it for what it cost. I asked him about the problem with the chuck and he said if you hear the click when you tighten the chuck it will be locked and it won't back off. I told him I was familiar with how they worked but had read a lot of reviews about the chuck problems that he wasn't aware of. Not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe tomorrow I'll give it a try, I've got 89 days left to prove it.

YouTube

http://youtu.be/2JuTIy_Z1OM

http://youtu.be/OO7sVSdDDRw

Home Depot Reveiws

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/204210639/dewalt-20-volt-lithium-ion-cordless-brushless-compact-drill-reviews/reviews.htm

Amazon Reviews

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD790D2-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Compact/product-reviews/B00CSDIIXS

Well I gave it a little work out this morning and also performed the same test that are shown in the YouTube videos and I don't see any of those problems with this drill chuck. It runs true and straight with every bit I tried and the clutch brake didn't loosen the chuck using a long 1/2" bit installed running and stopping the drill on high speed repeaditly. The 20V drill driver Is noticeably quieter than my 18V drill driver but the 20V impact is a lot noisier than my 18V impact. Sounds like the impact is spinning much faster with no load.

Dewalt really improved the performance on their impacts between the brushed 18v and the brushed 20v models. It seems Milwaukee had some issues with their chucks. I just think its hard to find ta company that makes a quality keyless chuck

I have had a DCD995 for 6 months now and love it to death. Iv been wanting the 790 for the smaller jobs and just love its 7.2 in. front to back vrs my 8.4 in. The guy in the 1st video has a bad bit to begin with and should try a good dewalt titanium twist bit. And I feel the guy in the 2nd video could tighten the chuck more, when I tighten mine I hear a lot more clicks and go till its not able to be tightened any more. These past few weeks I have been doing some yard work and needed to dig wholes in my rough vegas desert yard and been using my 995 with a 1 foot 1/2 in bit in max speed on hammer mode to loosen the ground and not once did my bit fall out... I also just check my chuck with a brand new 1/2 dewalt titanium twist bit and it spins perfectly! 

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that I've got the wobbly chuck issue on my brand new DCD790 D2.

Initially I suspected a dodgy drill bit, but the same bit in my other drills is fine and displays no off center rotation that the 790 produces.

The problem with loose drill bits is not caused by under tightening, it's the effect of the incredibly harsh brake that loosens the chucks grip on smaller bits, unless you ease off the trigger very carefully.

It is a fantastic drill in all other respects, but those 2 issues are enough to make me sell it on and buy something else.

• Like 1

Mine does the same thing I have to say. I hate when it happens I always thought It was something that I had done. This doesn't make me feel better that is for sure. Don't like that DeWalt is trying to deny this and not come up with a fix. 

• Like 1

I must have got a good one. The DCD 790 I had held bits well and ran very true.

My only complaint was how rough the knurling is. I was spinning the chuck down one day under power. I know your not supposed to do it that way, but who can say they have never done it that way at one time or another. I wasn't paying close attention when it grabbed. I didn't have a good hold of the chuck and it spun over my finger. To my surprise it peeled a decent size chunk of skin off. Needless to say I was careful to spin the chuck by hand after that.

• 4 years later...
On 7/18/2014 at 10:04 PM, roadhog96 said:

I was reading some reveiws on the DeWalt DCD790 Brushless 20V Drill Driver and since January 2014, there were some reviews about the chuck having a bad wobble right out of the box and the replacement ones were the same. The other complaint was the chuck would loose its grip on the drill.bit.

That was 4 reviews all complaining about the same problem.

This drill uses an all metal chuck, does anyone know if its the same chuck used on the DCD795 Hammer Dril Driver.

Has anyone experience these problems on theirs or has heard of this before?

I just wanted to say that five years later they are still having the exact same problems. Ridiculous wobble and slipping bits. I'm on my third 20V MAX* XR® BRUSHLESS CORDLESS 3-SPEED HAMMER DRILL/DRIVER DCD996B since May 2019 and 2nd 20V MAX* CORDLESS BRUSHLESS XR® 3-SPEED DRILL / DRIVER DCD991B since April 2019. 6-8 weeks of that time the drills have been out of my hands waiting for "repairs". They keep sending me new drills which keep developing the same problems. Out of the box at least this new hammer drill doesn't appear to have such absurd runout, but it hasn't actually put a hole in anything yet. Will update this after a little use.

My old 985 has some runout, but my newer 796 pleasantly doesn't, even after plenty of hammer action.

Regarding your slipping bits - after the first slip, have you lightly sanded the bit shank? I've found that when a bit slips even with the chuck done up tight, it seems to polish the surface and makes is susceptible to continued slippage, but if you give it a bit of a sand it fixes the issue. A light scape of the jaws of the chuck helps too.

I wonder if the runout on the chuck could be fixed by a quick spin on a lathe, not an option for most but an option nonetheless, may have to check it out if/when I replace the gearbox in my 985

• 1 year later...