Milwaukee 2731-20 M18 FUEL 7-1/4" Circular Saw

regopit

John, did you get that brushless Makita through the same Canadian dealer?

nope, bought it from Bishop supply.   i buy through their ebay store although they have a website and a storefront as well   ( down in FL)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-XSH03Z-BRUSHLESS-6-1-2-Circular-Saw-18V-XPT-and-LXT-xss02z-bss611z-/181669038124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4c51882c 

that should take you there

i have bought a bunch of my new makitas from him now, he is quick to respond to questions, ships fast, and usually had the new releases before anyone else and at very good prices..    

• Like 1

NERemodeling makes some good points, it does make a difference knowing what kind of arsenal you're adding the tool to. Added convenience can be a bigger factor when you're adding to a collection that's already capable of handling the toughest jobs, etc.

That said, lifetime cost-of-ownership is something I like to factor in to my purchases, whether tool-related, vehicle-related, etc. and there's no doubt in my mind that over the life of the tool the 2730 will cost me more money than the 2731 would. There are other factors, of course, like weight, but with these saws the difference isn't like the compact impact vs the high torque (basically double), it's roughly 10%. 6.8 lbs vs 7.5 lbs (without battery).

If I wanted a lightweight saw that can do most things and was ok with pricier blades, the M12 2530 would be my choice*. That's in the vicinity of 5.5 lbs. (*pendng reviews confirming that it is a quality piece of equipment).

If you want to stay in the 18 volt range, the 2630 is a quality tool though. My posts maybe sound a it harder on it than they ought to, it is a good Jack-of-all-trades saw and is comfortable to use, and I would recommend it to others, just trying to give you food for thought; buyers remorse is a crappy feeling.

• Like 2

Yea that's kinda my thought too Bremon have the 12v saw for lightweight stuff and the full sized for everything else. Like you mentioned 71/4" blades can be bought so much cheaper, and they make specialty blades too for tough materials like engineered flooring or decking

Have not had a chance to test this out, but it seems awesome from the videos and reviews I have read. Saw it rip through OSB sheets with no problem! I guess I didn't find out how the power and speed compares to the corded counterpart, but for that price it must be close or even exceed it! I currently have the brushed 6 1/2", so I'm not sure I can justify owning two cordless models at the 18V level. Unless someone can tell me the purchase is absolutely necessary? Thanks for the post.

FB82