any reason to not buy cordless tools from overseas?

NERemodeling

Claudio, you can have the bottle oppeners, fans and caps! I want the good stuff. All those hot off the press tools!!!

Chadlanthier, 99% of the time it seems to be that way... we do get a few things that they dont.. I'm pretty sure it has to do with much looser regulations overseas.. It's almost like the testing ground for new tools, a way to work the kinks out.. that's my take anyway

Whoa whoa whoa. Guys. Please. A bottle opener is a mandatory and much needed part of any serious wood shop. I put Milwaukee to the test in an in depth and very scientific approach to the newly (at the time when I reviewed this very serious tool) designed for wood workers and carpenters alike....not to mention grounds keepers, mechanics, janitors, firefighters, pilots (OH YEAH), Priests, Cops, Teachers, refuse technicians.....alcoholics...Bottle Opener. Europeans have every right to get upset. Sure....they get some of the best new tool releases before us....ie. Festool....Milwaukee...Dewalt etc. BUT we got the 48-22-2000! Feel free to find a quiet place to sit, put your feet up, sit in front of the stove, break open the nice cold elixir of youth (or obesity and violence if you will) or Beer and read at your leisure....

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/2023-milwaukee-48-22-2000-review-of-a-serious-tool/

• Like 3

Chris, you make a good case!  ok, bottle opener makes the cut!!

Conductor and Dwain, Im thinking with cordless stuff the only thing that wouldn't be comparable is the charger.. 18v is 18v, thats my understanding anyway.. buying the bare tools would take care of this      am i right in thinking that i could just use my current makita 18v charger and batteries and not have to deal with anything else?

The only thing is warranty support and parts if things go wrong. That's the risk you take with grey market tools though.

I hear ya on this one!  thats a major downside..      Im not sure if i will even do it, sometimes the temptation is there!  Makita has so many cool new Brushless tools over in Europe now like that badass new impact, jigsaw and circular saw.  i get impatient waiting for them to make it over here.   also there is talk of a new reciprocating saw on the horizon.. that might be what pushes me over the edge if they don't release it in the US quickly

Chris, you make a good case!  ok, bottle opener makes the cut!!

Conductor and Dwain, Im thinking with cordless stuff the only thing that wouldn't be comparable is the charger.. 18v is 18v, thats my understanding anyway.. buying the bare tools would take care of this      am i right in thinking that i could just use my current makita 18v charger and batteries and not have to deal with anything else?

yep. the tools are identical, only the charger vary. that and the lack of warranty are the downsides.

Bare tool it is..      

I was really thinking about the makita TD148D brushless impact and the DJV181Z brushless barrel grip jigsaw... but i think i can wait for those

the DHS680 brushless circ saw, i will have a harder time waiting for

I will Physically not be able to wait more that 1 month for the Supposed new brushless reciprocating saw... if they dont instantly bring that thing to the US i will no doubt buy it from overseas.

The DHS680 Ain't available yet here.  It's been announced but there's always a few good months between announcing a tool and actual release :)

If i had to make an educated guess we'll see the new Brushless Circ Saw in Belgium by February.  That's just in time for Makita's new " Promo Catalog" here in Belgium =)

The jigsaw and new impact totally kick ass tho =D    And I'll receive the first shipment of the Brushless Angle grinder  for sale in 2-3  weeks. Can't wait !!

And australia always seems to get everything like 1 or 2 months before Belgium :D They seem to be the fastest so importing from australia would be the quickest way of getting new tools =)

It also seems like Australias prices are through the roof on tools though.. I wouldn't mind a small premium if the tool and timing was right but there is a limit..

The DHS680 Ain't available yet here. It's been announced but there's always a few good months between announcing a tool and actual release :)

If i had to make an educated guess we'll see the new Brushless Circ Saw in Belgium by February. That's just in time for Makita's new " Promo Catalog" here in Belgium =)

The jigsaw and new impact totally kick ass tho =D And I'll receive the first shipment of the Brushless Angle grinder for sale in 2-3 weeks. Can't wait !!

I wonder how and why the US got the BL angle grinder so fast (model XAG03Z or XAG03M here) we have had it for a few weeks at least now.. makes me hopeful that we will start seeing new tools sooner than later in the future also.