Use the Festool Plunge Base on Your Multimaster 350Q

fazmanicg

With very little effort, I was able to fit a Festool Plunge Base on my Fein 350Q. -- Long story short; I bought the Festool OS 400 because of the plunge base and, well, it's a Festool ... It's got to be Great! -- Well,  It was very noisy and the blades kept coming loose. The vibration was quite evident as well. -- I obviously got a defective unit; as was verified by the store where I bought it. I returned it and went with the Multimaster 350. I Absolutely love it.  Very little vibration, not too noisy, etc. -- The one thing I did miss was that plunge base. -- Since the Festool was really a Fein Supercut, I decided to pick up a plunge base from Festool.  It also comes with a really nice depth stop. Much better than the one you can get from Fein. after a few modifications, here are the results.

To see the plunge base in action:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2jcitmqftkfty6/IMG_2202sm.mov?dl=0

• Like 2

Welcome!

Did you have to shim it to fit flush to the blade mount? I'm seeing prices of white and black between the tool and the festool mount piece in the third pic, those are what I'm rereferring to. If they are shims, we're they supplied with the mount or did you supply them

Looks like you need the long blades to use with the plunge base

Very cool mod, anyone know if it will work with the fein 250??

• Like 1

Welcome!

Did you have to shim it to fit flush to the blade mount? I'm seeing prices of white and black between the tool and the festool mount piece in the third pic, those are what I'm rereferring to. If they are shims, we're they supplied with the mount or did you supply them

John, Yes. I made the shim. it came out to be 13/64 thick. I added the white shim to make it exact. -- I bought longer screws 10.6mm at Home Depot and shaved the head down flush with the base plate. -- The only other mod is you have to shorten the base plate (look at the second pic) below the screw holes. Otherwise, it will not fit flush. The casing of the fein gets in the way. -- Your right.  Long blades for the plunge base.

Welcome!

John, Yes. I made the shim. it came out to be 13/64 thick. I added the white shim to make it exact. -- I bought longer screws 10.6mm at Home Depot and shaved the head down flush with the base plate. -- The only other mod is you have to shorten the base plate (look at the second pic) below the screw holes. Otherwise, it will not fit flush. The casing of the fein gets in the way. -- Your right.  Long blades for the plunge base.

looks like you did a great job with the mods, thanks for all the info!  

I notice your in CT, where abouts? Im in West Hartford

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Faz, 

Reviving an old thread here...

The 350q with festool plunge accessories seems to be the perfect combination for me as well  (especially since I can have it in a Systainer ;-). The 350q is more than aggressive enough for me, and the vibration "muting" is far more important. I moving from a 1st generation Fein and the difference is amazing! Thank you for the great post.

I would like to use the japanese style precision blades for some of my plunge work. Have you found a source for the longer ones? Understandably, I keep turning up the Supercut mount pattern in the longer blades.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Faz, 

Reviving an old thread here...

The 350q with festool plunge accessories seems to be the perfect combination for me as well  (especially since I can have it in a Systainer ;-). The 350q is more than aggressive enough for me, and the vibration "muting" is far more important. I moving from a 1st generation Fein and the difference is amazing! Thank you for the great post.

I would like to use the japanese style precision blades for some of my plunge work. Have you found a source for the longer ones? Understandably, I keep turning up the Supercut mount pattern in the longer blades.

There was a guy I ordered a bunch from, but he no longer is selling them.  You can look at Dewalt DWA4205. It is long enough where the blade is in constant contact with the magnet on the plunge base.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Dwa4205-Oscillating-Hardwood-Blade/dp/B00FRMZHJU