Ryobi Jigsaw - Bosch T-shank will not fit

tekt

I recently purchased the Ryobi P523 Jigsaw. I was going to use some Bosch T-shank scroll blades that I had used in my old Ryobi jigsaw on a project with my new jigsaw. Well, the T-shank Bosch blades will not fit in the new jigsaw and the specs list: For use with T-shank jig saw blades or Ryobi universal shank jig saw blades.The lock collar for the blade will not quite lock into place. The shank above the T is just a bit longer than the Ryobi blades I have.

So, I go to my local Home Depot in Raleigh and well, they don't even sell Ryobi jigsaw blades. Really?? 99% of what they have is Bosch and then some knock off brand. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems to me that Ryobi made a boo boo with this and why does Home Depot not carry Ryobi jigsaw blades in the store? I like the jigsaw and it cuts great with the standard wood blade I have but I'm probably going to return this thing unless someone know's something I don't. I'm not going to order and wait on blades every time I need one.

It says just T-shank compatible, not a particular manufacturer. Bosch just happened to be the T-shanks I had already bought and used with my old jigsaw. You'd think all T-shanks would be a standard size. I really like the Bosch blades! I may take a blade with me and see if it will fit in the floor model next time I'm up there.  

Welcome aboard tekt. I'm with DR on that, I've never heard of t shanks being offered in different sizes other than blade length and thickness. A t shank should fit your machine regardless of manufacturer. Maybe the unit you have is defective. Additionally...my second to least favorite jig saw was the Ryobi with that adjustable scribe knob. Nothing but problems for me with that machine. But I may have had a defective unit too.

• Like 1

The Bosch shank from the top of the T and up is definitely longer than the Ryobi blade. Just enough that the collar won't rotate quite enough to lock the blade in. I'll post some pics later so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Ok guys... Here's a link to 4 photos I took. You can see the locking collar goes all the way to 90 degrees with the Ryobi blade and will only go to 45 degrees with the Bosch blade. (I thought maybe I could attach the photos somewhere but I couldn't find that option) The issue that Ryobi may have overlooked is other T-shank blades are not universal and don't have the U cut out like the Ryobi universal blade does.

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/Ryobi+jigsaw+blade+issue/_a04ff75a80634ea7be9f398e4bc7405a

• 3 weeks later...

My Jigsaw does the same but I have noticed that when you use Bosch blades it does turn and lock enough for the blade to work fine. Iv had no problems in the blade coming lose or falling out.  

Thanks Mr Ryobi. I wasn't worried about the Bosch blade coming out while using it, I just didn't know if it would eventually damage the locking mechanism. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm just going to grind the tips off of my Bosch blades. I still can't believe that Home Depot doesn't even sell Ryobi jigsaw blades in the store. 

• 1 year later...

I found out the same thing. The locking mech does not close all the way with other t shank blades. I ground off the tip and still the same problem. I don't know if it is the side tabs or the hole that needs grinding or drilling, but this sucks. Ryobi should be sued for false advertizing. t shank blades do not fit their saws.

This is disappointing.  I was looking at the P523 as a stop gap until Milwaukee comes out with an updated Jigsaw (WTB an M18 with an LED and a blower...).  I think I'll take a blade into the depot and see if all of the P523's are like that.  If so, then I'll just have to pass as I've got a bunch of Bosch blades.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a P523 yesterday and learned the surprising fact that no blades for it are available anywhere in North America in any form!  When I pointed this out to a manager at Home Depot, he was aghast too.  This bureaucratic incompetence provoked the usual reaction for a guy like me, namely... I'll just make the d**n thing!

It is not that hard to modify a normal T shank blade to work in the P523.  Message me if you want a pic...

Jog saw blades can be tricky sometimes you have to make sure that you turn the blade release all the way and you put enough pressure to get the blade in, I always double check by try to pull it out then I aim at the ground and test to make sure it holds. Sometimes you don't have it in all the way.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, taylorv1 said:

I bought the new Ryobi Jig Saw earlier this week too, and bought the bosch blades, since thats all they had. Mine blades fit just fine. Just make sure to turn the quick blade release...

Hey glad to hear you got it figured out, may be an isolated problem, time to make a video tutorial on this!!

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

I just got the p523, and am also rather stunned at the blade situation.

It's good to hear that Bosch blades apparently work safely even though they don't "really" fit, but I'd sure feel better if the lock engaged properly.

Looks like you can order a set of 20 Ryobi blades on Amazon for about $50 or ebay for a bit less:

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Rak-20Jb-Jigsaw-Blade-Set/dp/B006XBT0QK

But I'd interested in seeing how Clearcreek does the mod.

Not sure if I can PM yet as a new member, but if not, can you post about your process here?

Thanks,

ApK

I use Bosch blades in my Ryobi, and I have no issues using them. If they don't go in far enough to satisfy me, I grind off a bit of the shank and they fit perfectly.

I use Bosch blades in my Ryobi, and I have no issues using them. If they don't go in far enough to satisfy me, I grind off a bit of the shank and they fit perfectly.

When I had my ryobi I never had issues with Bosch blades, that's all I buy

Jimbo

They won't go in all the way, but most of them go in far enough that they can't come out. I've had one so far that I had to trim down, otherwise Bosch blades have been fine. I haven't investigated the jigsaw yet but I'm sure there's a way to modify the receiver so that the Bosch blades set further. Probably something as simple as trimming a spring or some other basic fix.

• Like 1

That crazy there's no way I'm modifying the available blades to fit the unit. That jig saw would be going straight back to depot. As the Home Depot brand Ryobi should 1000% be compatible with the blades Home Depot sells. That is a huge let down from ryobi's design and research teams