Dewalt DWS 780 some questions

DzordanoBruno

The one I tried out had much smoother slides. Different parts on parts diagram and a confirmed change by a dewalt technician. Dewalt updates its tools with type changes quite often. I would imagine they updated because so many complained of sticky slides on the dws780 type 1. I find the slides on the type awful.

Guys like me who bought the type 1 DWS780 have a good reason to be mad as hell. We are the ones that complained about it and now we're stuck with it. We can't just go out and keep buying the newest updated tool that comes out every time they decide to make a change.

My problem with DeWalt is when they design a new tool they don't field test it long enough to find out from professionals if there's anything that needs to to be changed before it's released to the public for retail. This isn't the first saw DeWalt ever made, you would think they would know by now how to do it right the first time. The Lowe's Kolbalt 12" dual bevel sliding miter saw puts DeWalts DWS780 to shame when it comes to smoothness.

DeWalt's to much in a hurry to make money and they flood the market with it and in the mean time are redesigning an updated version. If I could tell the first time I ever operated a slide saw that it didn't feel as smooth as it should how the hell could something like this get by their design and quality control team. Every type 1 DWS780 saw uses the same parts so everyone of them is going to feel about the same. What do they have one person testing them or do they even test them? What they should do is update anyone's saw that's not happy with it. I'm sure it doesn't bother everyone who owns one.

One thing I've finally realized, when a deal seems to good to be true then I better think twice about it. Every time Home Depot or Lowe's has a special deal there's a reason for it. It's usually because they not going to carry it anymore or it's being replaced with a different model and their trying to get rid of their old style inventory This has happened with just about every so called good deal I ever got from these places.

The saw was a promotional special with a free stand. Somebody higher up knew all about the change I can guarantee it. It happened with the Verander decking we bought, they stopped carrying it right after we bought it on sale. So we had to special order extra boards from the manufacture and got slammed with a huge price hike. It happened with the Ducane gas Grill, Arians snow blower, DeWalt 12v drill.etc. the next thing will be a fix for the loose battery fit on the 20V Brushless drill. Aaaaaarrrgh!!!!!

I've been doing some research into this improved type 20 and according to the parts diagram very few parts are different than the type 1. It seems it's mainly one slide rail. I'm going to contact a DeWalt Technician and find out if the type 1 can be updated with the type 20 parts. I would guess that it could, It would be nice if DeWalt at least sold the parts as a upgrade kit seeing how they aren't going to recall any of the type 1.

During some searching I came across reviews about the slide on the DWS780,

(The linear bearings on the slide. Mine was nearly impossible to make a slide cut with the blade down in the cut position. When I first used it almost every cut I made was a chop (casing some windows, crown on some cabinets). Then I got into a set of stairs where I was cutting, or trying to cut, skirt boards. Holy crap. I thought something was wrong with my blade but when I made the cutting motion with no material on the saw it was the same deal. The saw apparently only has bearings on the right hand tube (I have read this). When you lower the head it torgues the crap out of the slides making it difficult to slide.)

Another one,

(When you lower the blade and try to cut skirt boards, the motion is so jerky - the bearings are grabbing because they are being torqued off to one side. The light is great, but the saw is just unusable because of the linear slide bearing on one side. In fact I would go so far as to say it is dangerous.)

This certainly makes sense because the parts illustration shows one slide having a different part number and different in appearance.

These are the differences between type 1 and type 20

Type 1

170 N395710 LINEAR BEARING KIT

170 N084698SV SUPPORT HOUSING

Type 20

332 N104494 Rail

170 N157708 SUPPORT HOUSING

If the saw isn't operating correctly because of a design flaw why wouldn't this be a warrantee issue if it's still under warrantee? Would they replace the parts with the same part numbers or would they use the newer updated parts so that the problem is corrected?

I've been doing some research into this improved type 20 and according to the parts diagram very few parts are different than the type 1. It seems it's mainly one slide rail. I'm going to contact a DeWalt Technician and find out if the type 1 can be updated with the type 20 parts. I would guess that it could, It would be nice if DeWalt at least sold the parts as a upgrade kit seeing how they aren't going to recall any of the type 1.

During some searching I came across reviews about the slide on the DWS780,

(The linear bearings on the slide. Mine was nearly impossible to make a slide cut with the blade down in the cut position. When I first used it almost every cut I made was a chop (casing some windows, crown on some cabinets). Then I got into a set of stairs where I was cutting, or trying to cut, skirt boards. Holy crap. I thought something was wrong with my blade but when I made the cutting motion with no material on the saw it was the same deal. The saw apparently only has bearings on the right hand tube (I have read this). When you lower the head it torgues the crap out of the slides making it difficult to slide.)

Another one,

(When you lower the blade and try to cut skirt boards, the motion is so jerky - the bearings are grabbing because they are being torqued off to one side. The light is great, but the saw is just unusable because of the linear slide bearing on one side. In fact I would go so far as to say it is dangerous.)

This certainly makes sense because the parts illustration shows one slide having a different part number and different in appearance.

These are the differences between type 1 and type 20

Type 1

170 N395710 LINEAR BEARING KIT

170 N084698SV SUPPORT HOUSING

Type 20

332 N104494 Rail

170 N157708 SUPPORT HOUSING

If the saw isn't operating correctly because of a design flaw why wouldn't this be a warrantee issue if it's still under warrantee? Would they replace the parts with the same part numbers or would they use the newer updated parts so that the problem is corrected?

how do I tell what type my saw is. I only purchased 3 weeks back. Slide seems fine though but just curious to know the type

I have (maybe) type 1, but yeaterday i worked all day long with this saw and i had no issue with this saw. Everithing worked fine. I cuted 120mmx120mm solid wood frames. So I dont know where is the problem.

It bothers some people were others don't even notice it. If you were to compare the slide action smoothness to another brand you would admediately notice the difference. The type one doesn't glide real smooth like other saws I've tried after the fact. If other manufactures can make a slide that glides real smooth then why can't DeWalt? Next time your in Lowes check out the Kobalt 12" slide and then try the DeWalt DWS780 it should be in the same area and you'll know what I'm talking about. The DeWalt feels like your pulling or pushing the rails through a bushing rather through ball bearings. Way to much resistance. DeWalt knows there's a problem that's why they changed it. It really don't make sense to me why you wouldn't want to put bearings on both slides in the first place, they both have to move. So it cost a little more to do it but you wouldn't have any complaints and would probably make it the best saw out there. Anything to save a buck.

• 3 years later...

I just finished installing 1200 sq. ft. of 5″ wide Pergo plank flooring and used the sliding head quite a bit on a brand new DWS780. As others have remarked, it can be a little sticky to get going when the slide is extended. I did notice that if I grip the handle as far to the left as possible, keeping the downward force close to the center line between the slide rods, starting the cut is easier and the head slides more smoothly. I think that when downward pressure is exerted toward the right side of the handle it twists the rods and binds up the slide mechanism. This is a pretty good argument for vertical handles placed as close to the center line of the slides as possible, but not something the owner of one of these saws can change. you can buy Dewalt DWS779 both Dewalt DWS779 and DWS780 having same features, the only different feature it has is the LED light. Read this for more difference

https://finalscope.com/dewalt-dws779-vs-dws780-miter-saws/