Makita 4 stroke leaf blower

richwoodrocket

Does anybody own one of these? Is it powerful enough?

I'm considering buying one since they're only $179. I'm still a bit suspicious about the power though, because of the four stroke engine. Makita touts it as commercial... I'm wondering how commercial it is.

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=BHX2500CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have one myself but ive sold tons of those and demoed them to customers many times.

Its a superb machine. Powerful as any other 2 stroke handheld. EPA regulations of the latest years has made 2 strokes engines heavier and with less horse power compared to 10 years ago. 4 stroke technology has improved a lot. Better cylinder, better compression. Compact spark plugs and housing for less weight etc...

This is without a doubt the easiest starting handhald blower.just set it in 'run' position. Press the primer pump a few times and pull the cord. Automatic decompression means very little pulling power is needed. Choke only needed in winter when it is really cold.

And the makita/rovin 4 stroke engine is also more durable then a 2 stroke ( any decent 4 stroke is really ) . It runs quieter and it has a designated lubrication system which uses straight 4 stroke oil instead of the gas/ oil mix in a 2 stroke.Makita/robin 4 stroke also have 3 pistons rings.

What do you have to do yourself? I tell all my customers ( well the homeowners ) to once in a year come back to the store and buy a bottle of fresh 4 stroke oil costing a few bucks. Changing the oil takes 5 minutes of your time once a year.

If you do that then that blower will run forever.

That's good to hear!

I'm fixing up an old craftsman I got at a garage sale, and If I can't get it running, the makita will be my first choice. Wish I could get a blower with a Honda gx25, but I have high hopes for this makita.

The engine is made by Subaru?

I've seen a lot of Subaru Robbin engines on trash pumps, you don't usually find them on more popular forms of power equipment. I don't know why since they are quality engines, just like Honda. I remember back in the day Honda used to make riding mowers, they even had a liquid cooled diesel model built like a tank with a full dash instroment board. But like everything Honda makes, they overprice them so much that people can't afford them, then their riding mower line dissapeared as quickly as it came.

I find Kawasaki engines to be some of the best engines in the market, anything with Kawasaki will last forever, especially if its diesel! So I wouldn't mind seeing mini 4-cycle Kawasaki engines on blowers and weed eaters, hedge trimmers too.

I heard that Subaru discontinued making engines for a while, but only recently started making them again. Sadly, it seems that most engines on the market are copies of honda's iconic slant cylinder design.

Kawasaki discontinued their product line of professional hand tools.

I'm a big fan of Honda engines. Never had any problems with them.

I love my Honda HRX mower but I could have never afforded if I didn't get it clearance priced. It's a 750 dollar lawn mower any other time I love Honda outdoor ope but their prices are insane. Their 2 stage snowblowers are crazy expensive. The single stage units are pricey but not as bad.

I love my Honda HRX mower but I could have never afforded if I didn't get it clearance priced. It's a 750 dollar lawn mower any other time I love Honda outdoor ope but their prices are insane. Their 2 stage snowblowers are crazy expensive. The single stage units are pricey but not as bad.

You do get what you pay for though :)

• 2 months later...

Easiest starting leaf blower ever. Commercial 4 stroke engine. Low in noise , exhaust and gas usage.

No mixing of gas/oil is a big plus for me. Instead you do have to chance the oil every 50 hours ( for most homeownerd that mezns once a year at least ). Changing oil is a 5 minute job.

Next to all the positieve points of a modern 4 stroke is also a negative point: valve adjustment. Thats some thing you should do every 200 hours ( in reality when you hear alot of noise or the motor doesnt get up in power ).

Fortunatly its a very simpel thing to adjust them . take a YouTube videonnext to you the first time you do it. 5 minute job het again :)

I love me some 4 stroke

• 3 years later...

Hi, I've been using leaf blower for 1 year now. I bought it originally for cleaning the tracks and cars from snow. The blower does its job well. If you're interested, I have this Greenworks PRO 80V 125 MPH - 500 CFM model in my garage.  It is wireless, works with an electric battery. One of the downsides is that the device freezes at low temperatures and does not work. Probably, it is not intended for snow removal :) Well, what should I, a shovel, clean? I'm too lazy to do it. If this is expensive for you, look at this article https://bestazy.com/best-cordless-leaf-blower/budget options. I can also recommend you read various articles on this site toolsinaction.com, these guys also often do reviews on equipment. In my opinion they have a channel on YouTube or I am confusing something. In general, if there is, then be sure to subscribe

71jBjL-iURL._SL1500_.jpg