Loose battery on DCD780

npcnj8

I bought the Dewalt 20v combo kit from lowes today with the DCF885 and the DCD780. The kit is great, tools are real light weight but one issue, both batteries are loose and move around when I use the DCD780 drill but fit real snug in the the impact with no movement? Do you guys have any idea? Did I get a bad kit?

I can relate. I just bought the brushless DCK281D2 combo kit and have the same issue on the drill. Swaped the batteries around and found that one out of the 3 batteries fit looser on the drill then the other two and I could feel it moving around whenever I moved the drill in different positions. Very annoying. The problem area is right were the little latch in the middle of the battery catches the lip on the bottom of the drill. I cut little pieces of electrical tape and placed them at various places on the battery and tried the fit. I ended up with tape on the lip under the drill and that tightened the battery right up. The drill has a little more slop than the impact driver so the problem is with both the drill and that one battery. I'm betting there's quit a few like this. Do both batteries move around about the same in the drill?

I can relate. I just bought the brushless DCK281D2 combo kit and have the same issue on the drill. Swaped the batteries around and found that one out of the 3 batteries fit looser on the drill then the other two and I could feel it moving around whenever I moved the drill in different positions. Very annoying. The problem area is right were the little latch in the middle of the battery catches the lip on the bottom of the drill. I cut little pieces of electrical tape and placed them at various places on the battery and tried the fit. I ended up with tape on the lip under the drill and that tightened the battery right up. The drill has a little more slop than the impact driver so the problem is with both the drill and that one battery. I'm betting there's quit a few like this. Do both batteries move around about the same in the drill?

Yeah both batteries are loose in the drill.

There's only two possibilities, If both batteries are loose than chances are the problem is with the base of the drill or you have two batteries that are off like the one that I have. Here's something worth mentioning. When the drill is assembled the two clam shell halves do not line up on a lot of new drills I've looked at including my new one. The seam is tight but the area that surrounds the LED light is off. One side is higher than the other. You can see and feel it, I don't know if they are put together with self taping screws but my guess this would be something that would cause this if the person wasn't careful aligning it before running the screws in. If the screw holes were made while the pieces were molded than they would all line up or all be off.

I have some Makita drills and they have two small rubber buffers to stop the battery from wobbling about.

Dewalt would benefit from a similar design.

All my Dewalt cordless tools suffer from the same wobbly battery issue but the connector block isn't rigid inside the battery shoe so the terminals never loose contact.

I have some Makita drills and they have two small rubber buffers to stop the battery from wobbling about.

Dewalt would benefit from a similar design.

All my Dewalt cordless tools suffer from the same wobbly battery issue but the connector block isn't rigid inside the battery shoe so the terminals never loose contact.

This is exactly why I was using cut pieces of electrical tape to help determine the problem area because they can be placed and removed easily without leaving any residue. I have some rubber the same thickness as the electrical tape that I'm thinking about applying perminately with contact cement. The batteries slid on and off smoothly and had no movement with the tape in the area were the battery latch makes contact with the drill base. I'm only talking about a very thin small piece the size of the battery latch.

I have the same kit with an identical issue. There is a bit of play but you can tell the battery is locked into position and not going anywhere.

Even with that issue, these are the first DeWalt power tools that I have owned and I am fairly impressed. Mainly in the past I have owned everything from Ryobi and Craftsman to Ridgid and Milwaukee.