New 9.0 batteries

Charles Harris

Cool, they've allready made something like that. :D

Though it would be better to have the adapter in on the socket side, but I'd guess it would make the tool very top heavy.

Not that it says anything abot its spec. didn't exactly look like the most powerfull thing in the world. :P

Andrull,

I'm not sure what your point of disagreement is. 

It sounds like you have some experience with lithium polymer packs. They usually advertise the C rating of the cells. You can take the C rating multiply by the Ah rating to get the discharge rate in amps. Internal resistance affects what the C rating is for the battery.

Have you found where the C ratings are for the Samsung 18650 cells? I haven't been able to find them published. Samsung just publishes the max continuous discharge rate in amps.

At the end of the day what matters is that the pack can provide enough amps to the tool. The difference in Ah rating just means longer run times. The 3.0ah cells havent caught up to the 1.5 and 2.0 ah cells yet in max discharge rate. The way Milwaukee has built these packs (3 in parallel) will give the best of both. Plenty of amps and long run times. The only downside is size and weight. 

The main point is that fewer cells (i.e compact models) often means less juice (which could in theory become a bottleneck). I'd be happy to test, but it's not easy getting any compact Makita batteries. They don't sell thoose in my country. :( I'd really like to get my hands on some 2 Ah puppies for my impact driver  (which doesn't pull a lot power), but I'd be glad to test with more power-hungry equipment.

Wow you guys really know your stuff. I'm probably talking out of my butt here but I wonder if it would be possible to make a cordless tool adapter that would allow a cordless tool to plug in through an extension cord. Just a random thought I had

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

This is something I'm surprised we haven't seen yet. I believe it should be a feature on some cordless tools, mitre saw for example

I'm suprised someone hasn't done this sooner..

weight and money is really the only limitation with a setup like this. Manufacturers could easily make 9,12,15,18,21,24ah..... they would just become monsterious.

Personally I think a 12th mega pack could still be a reasonable size and weight.

The 9 is probably a good size.. not too big but a good amount more runtime.

12Ah at 18V is probably pushing it? Would think it was more efficient (compact/weight wise) with 36V 6Ah instead. Becouse of the lower copper losses is the motor, controller and wires.

Or 2x18V for backward compatibility.

Actually, I hope the 18V range will be replaced with 36V all together in the end. 18V-platform having batteries in parallell as standard and even more cells in parallell like this 9Ah is a waste.

Not a lot, but a little here and little there. Even the chargers could become a tad cheaper or better/faster.

Myself and the majority of people I work with hold on to more than 15 lbs of equipment all day, and often do so with uncomfortable amounts of ppe on. Our roofing division wear belts that have upwards of 40 lbs of gear in them. Think back to when tools were all-metal construction instead of ABS plastic, etc.

There's a reason there are so many big guys in the trades. I think you'd find a lot of them would be happy to have a 2731 with a 15 amp hour battery over lugging an extension cord, or a worm drive saw around.

Myself and the majority of people I work with hold on to more than 15 lbs of equipment all day, and often do so with uncomfortable amounts of ppe on. Our roofing division wear belts that have upwards of 40 lbs of gear in them. Think back to when tools were all-metal construction instead of ABS plastic, etc.

There's a reason there are so many big guys in the trades. I think you'd find a lot of them would be happy to have a 2731 with a 15 amp hour battery over lugging an extension cord, or a worm drive saw around.

I disagree all the guys i work with including myself will pick up a worm drive befor ever picking up a cordless i think drills make sense being cordless but demo hammers/rotary hammers circ saws and sawzalls il taked corded befor cordless but that being said i am finding myself wanting the 6 1/2 cordless makita circ saw and i.will get it lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Have you seen how expensive battery technology is once you get into the 25AH range? Say you had a 25AH angle grinder kit, it most likely won't cost anyting bellow 500 dollars, how is the average consumer going to afford it? Their not! So they would end up getting a 9AH kit for say 200. You mentioned about weight, I am glad you did, because I think any battery over 15AH is going to cause the tool to weight too much. Just how long do you think you can hold a 15 pound tool? Certainly not all day lol.

haha   i was definitely not saying that anything above 9 or 12 would be realistic... rather that it was doable..   

I applaud Milwaukee for making this big boy, i think its a great move but it is no engineering marvel..     anyone (with 6ah capabilities) could have smacked another 5 cells into a battery and made a 9ah, they were just the smart ones who did it..       i wouldn't be surprised if they made the jump to 12ah is all im saying..     look at the sds max drill..  there is clearance for a larger battery before the bottom of the tool    

now... whos gonna be the first to make a 1KWH battery?!?!?!?   (roughly 55AH at 18v)    hahaha

I disagree all the guys i work with including myself will pick up a worm drive befor ever picking up a cordless i think drills make sense being cordless but demo hammers/rotary hammers circ saws and sawzalls il taked corded befor cordless but that being said i am finding myself wanting the 6 1/2 cordless makita circ saw and i.will get it lol

they all have their place   if you are at a cut station with accessible power or a generator avaliable then why not go corded     however if you have a quick few cuts to make or are going to be climbing around in roof rafters who the hell wants to deal with a cord.. 

• Like 1

My thinking on corded tools is that they are a pain in the ass. Good extension cords are expensive and a hassle  if your working elevated on a ladder or lift. If your at a job site with out power you have to spend money on a generator. With battery tools you could get buy on charging of a vehicles 12v system.

12Ah at 18V is probably pushing it? Would think it was more efficient (compact/weight wise) with 36V 6Ah instead. Becouse of the lower copper losses is the motor, controller and wires.

Or 2x18V for backward compatibility.

Actually, I hope the 18V range will be replaced with 36V all together in the end. 18V-platform having batteries in parallell as standard and even more cells in parallell like this 9Ah is a waste.

Not a lot, but a little here and little there. Even the chargers could become a tad cheaper or better/faster.

hard to imagine we will ever see a full shift to 36v..    i think that will be the dominate voltage for heavy duty tools one day like saws and demo hammers, even vacuums but 18 will always be around..   love the fact that Makita has the X2 because i can buy into both lines with one battery.. i would imagine others will follow that if allowed. 

i could envision 12v falling off the map with how small 18v stuff is getting though

they all have their place if you are at a cut station with accessible power or a generator avaliable then why not go corded however if you have a quick few cuts to make or are going to be climbing around in roof rafters who the hell wants to deal with a cord..

Cut station? We cut everywere the wood is .... we will cut straight of the pile or we will line all the studs up by the plates all measured and just run down the line of studs cut cut cut .. we dont get the luxury of haveing a cut station or a table to cut on we use are feet and bend down all with a worm drive lol but im young so i am not apposed to the whole cordless thing but all the guys i work with are old school and wont wrap there head around corldess but.to be honest having a cord dragging around dosent bother me im finding there are to many sensitive men in the trades now... no offense to anybody but its not ment to be a comfortable job its hard.back breaking.work thats were the pride comes from if it was a nice easy comfy cushie job everybody would be doing it lol

• Like 1

9Ah batteries really open up possibilities for more traditionally stationary tools like say a compound miter saw where battery pack size and weight are of no real concern. On the end of a drill or impact driver the 9Ah battery might get a little tiresome but single handed tools are probably not really the target for these extreme packs. Too bad Milwaukee doesn't sell an M18 miter here in the US...yet. I wish they'd go ahead and announce it, I'm in need of one soon and I have lots of large crown the Dewalt cordless, though very nice, is just gonna be too small.

I disagree all the guys i work with including myself will pick up a worm drive befor ever picking up a cordless

Depends on the usage. This has more to do with cordless having a history of being gutless and short lived. Well, a combination of that and construction workers being stubborn SOBs. In my hypothetical situation where a cordless tool is proven to have the power and runtime to compete with a corded version, or at least get you to lunch time, while being lighter and not tripping on extension cords, I would choose the more ergonomic solution every time. I understand that at this point a worm drive still has power that's hard to argue with and can cut damn near anything.

I guess NER and I were thinking the same way :)

Count me in on this train of thought.

to be honest having a cord dragging around dosent bother me im finding there are to many sensitive men in the trades now... no offense to anybody but its not ment to be a comfortable job its hard.back breaking.work thats were the pride comes from if it was a nice easy comfy cushie job everybody would be doing it lol

I don't take offense that this statement (I'm not quite that sensitive haha) but I do disagree with it. The pride I take in my work comes from the quality of it, not in how sore my knees or back are the next day. This type of mentality is what a lot of people need to get away from to encourage more people to enter the trades. There are many reasons people choose not to pick up a trade, and the high school football team mentality that a lot of people on job sites have doesn't help. People strive for white collar positions because blue collar positions foster an image of a lifetime of chiropractor visits and joint problems by the time you're 40 (meanwhile white collar jobs have a ton of health and fitness concerns of their own that get ignored).

I've been in enough attics and crawlspaces, on enough commercial sites, and replaced enough extension cords to know where they belong; the garage, the garbage, or hanging on the rack at the store. 9AH batteries meaning my lights can stay on all day without running power off my generator means less chance they get snagged, unplugged, or tripped over, and makes me more productive, and productivity is something to take pride in.

hard to imagine we will ever see a full shift to 36v.. i think that will be the dominate voltage for heavy duty tools one day like saws and demo hammers, even vacuums but 18 will always be around.. love the fact that Makita has the X2 because i can buy into both lines with one battery.. i would imagine others will follow that if allowed.

i could envision 12v falling off the map with how small 18v stuff is getting though

Yeah, perhaps compact 18v becomes the new 12v. :)

And just to specify, I was not talking about 36V batteries like the ones se have today, which is huge. But the same size as 18V, just that all batteries gets connected in series instead of parallell. Maximizing the platform's potensial. :) Heavy power equipment could use 2x36V, kinda like 2x18v like today.

I'm kinda in the same boat as Toronto, I'm more of a corded user. Always was skeptical of cordless tools until I heard about Milwaukee and Makita. I think eventually though, say 20 years from now, cordless tools will take over. We will have nuclear reactor powered DeWalt's and alien technology powered Milwaukee tools. The Bosch wireless charging station will be a wireless generator, able to power all tools on the jobsite with no cords.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yeah, perhaps compact 18v becomes the new 12v. :)

And just to specify, I was not talking about 36V batteries like the ones se have today, which is huge. But the same size as 18V, just that all batteries gets connected in series instead of parallell. Maximizing the platform's potensial. :) Heavy power equipment could use 2x36V, kinda like 2x18v like today.

Gotcha. So with current day cells we could be looking at 3.0ah 36v packs that are no bigger than a standard 18v... that would be pretty slick. Also the ability to jump to 72v with an x2 configuration would be nuts..