Dw735 planer problems

dg1127

Hey anyone have the feed rollers stop working but the planer knifes still spin. Was running 2.5 " doug fir heard a loud pop and the piece just stopped feeding but the knives kept spinning. Brought it to dewalt $320 later they still can't explain what happen. Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after looking at the diagram (http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/GetDocument?docName=EA022468.tif&docPath=http%3A%2F%2Fdocuments.dewalt.com%2Fdocuments%2FEnglish%2FExploded%2520Art%2FEA022468.png&productId=22538&productType=7605&documentId=21151)

I'm thinking either a sprocket, #83, or the chain, #101. Also, check the speed selector lever. If it's not fully engaged to 1 or 2, the rollers won't spin.

Did you happen to change the speed while the planer was off?

• Like 1

Drive chain 115 goes from the gear box to the rear roller. Then, on the opposite side, chain 101 goes from the rear roller to the front roller. If one is spinning freely, it is most likely eith the chain, or one of the sprockets on the opposite side of the gear box...

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Be careful purchasing a new 735 type 2 which are manufactured in China. I have a type 1 which I have used for about 8 years now. I purchased the type 2 unused from a retired woodworker moving, and closing shop. The unit had a Shellix cutter installed, and was pristine with zero use. The first time I powered it up the motor smelled hot, when I ran a test board the motor started smoking, and repeatedly tripped the breaker. I pulled the motor, and had it tested at a professional electric motor shop. The field was bad, from the factory. No replacement parts are available for the model 2, and the model 1 used a different size armature and field, they are not interchangeable. I had to send the field to a rewinding shop in L.A. to be rewound. Beware of the Chinese manufactured model 2

Edited by Oldtoolz
Misspelled word

• 6 months later...