Bosch Framing Nailer - which one should i get

madman_us

hey guys,

I am planing to buy a framing nailer due to a bunch of upcoming projects. what do you guys think i should buy a clipped or full head nailer ?!

I just know that clipped head nailer are not by code in certain states.

I was at HD today and looked at the framing nails and just kinda got confused

they just have those nails:

21-degree Round Head Nail ( are those also called Full Head Nails??? )

30-degree Clipped/Full Nail Head ( are those now clipped or full head nails or combined ??? )

really confusing for a first time buyer :D

here the 2 nailer i was looking at:

Bosch SN350-34C Clipped Head Framing Strip Nailer

( 30-degree clipped-head nails from 2.0 to 3.5 inches )

714O2sNwMqL._SL1500_.jpg

Bosch SN350-20F Full Head Framing Strip Nailer

( 20-degree full-head nails from 2.0 to 3.5 inches )

71W3Ns53jpL._SL1500_.jpg

What i also have to mention is, I'm not gonna build a house which has to be inspected or any code restrictions.

I gonna say its mainly for DIY purpose. like building a shed, patio and other projects which includes framing.

i read a few reviews on some of those nailers on amazon and someone posted this here:

"Clipped head is the way to go for DIY. Full head is just a code thing. There's scant evidence that they hold better than clipped. Full head nails are more expensive, the packaging messier, and the carrier hold fewer nails."

i looked around and the local HD and Lowes doesnt sell clipped nails. ok some thing paslode nails but thats about it.

i think the decision is made - a full head framer its gonna be.

i also asked my friend who is a contractor and his framer. both just use full head, they also have not heard anything about code restrictions and no inspector ask for the nails etc.

i looked around and the local HD and Lowes doesnt sell clipped nails. ok some thing paslode nails but thats about it.

i think the decision is made - a full head framer its gonna be.

i also asked my friend who is a contractor and his framer. both just use full head, they also have not heard anything about code restrictions and no inspector ask for the nails etc.

I think most of the clipped head nails have been replaced by offset full head. They work in the 30 deg nailer.

There are only 3 basic types of nails to choose from in the framing nailers. (Not including coil nailers)

21 deg. Plastic collated

28 deg Wire Weld

30 deg Paper collated

I have two bostitch nailers. One takes the plastic collated and the other is a wire weld. Both are the low profile model. I'm not a fan of the bigger bostitch nailer.

Here is my opinion of the differences.

The benefit of the 28 and 30 deg offset nailers is the magazine holds a lot more nails. Each strip you load holds more. They are easier to keep in a nail apron. No little bits of plastic to clean up when you finish like the plastic collated. I think the wire weld nails strips are a little more sturdy and are not affected by heat and water. The only draw back to them is they are a bostitch exclusive.

The benefits of the 21 deg is the nails strips are a lot less likely to get damaged. Better selection of nails. You can even get plastic collated deck screws.

I started with a paper collated nailer. I replaced it with the wire weld nailer. Last year I found a deal on some stainless plastic collated nails. I bought the second nailer just to use them. But it is nice to have more options when I go buy nails.

I would say you would be happy with the plastic collated nailer. Just be aware that it leaves behind little pieces of plastic and each strip holds fewer nails.

I use offset full round head 30 deg paper collated Paslode nails, I don't see clipped head nails on the shelves around here. You want to stay away from the plastic collated because they do make a mess, the Paslode nails are pricey but are worth it. Me and my neighbor put up new fences after hurricane Wilma and he used a coil nailer with cheap nails and I used my Paslode nails and nailer. We both used galvanized nails and his fence boards are falling off because the nails rotted out. Now I have to go out there all the time with my impact to screw the boards back on because the fence is on the property line..lol

• 2 weeks later...

Have never used the Bosch although they look well built and all but the Hitachi nailers may be worth checking into also if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, they are pretty nice guns priced right too.....I use a framing, angled finish and straight finish with absolutely no issues.

I love my paslode, I have seen a lot of Hitachi's framing nailers break over the years, there coil roofing nailers are some of the best in the market but the framers suck

The Paslodes are nice guns..... I guess I've been lucky so far with my Hitachi guns, knock on wood

I love my paslode, I have seen a lot of Hitachi's framing nailers break over the years, there coil roofing nailers are some of the best in the market but the framers suck

Nope hitatchi coil framing nailers well the old ones are the standard for us framers man hitatchi makes the best framing nailers they take a beating and still go strong i cant comment on the new plastic looking ones tho they look like shit but ya hitatchi and paslode all the way bostitch is the worst

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

What's the latest info with CPO?

well - i talked to the supervisor and they were really sorry what happened.

they arrange a pick up for the item and i get my money back.

he also mentioned i can pick another item from their page (instead of refunding the money)....i told him there is nothing i want...also their prices are to high; lol 

Nope hitatchi coil framing nailers well the old ones are the standard for us framers man hitatchi makes the best framing nailers they take a beating and still go strong i cant comment on the new plastic looking ones tho they look like shit but ya hitatchi and paslode all the way bostitch is the worst

The Hitachi stick framing nailers are bad the newer models, but there coil nailers are great.

well - i talked to the supervisor and they were really sorry what happened.

they arrange a pick up for the item and i get my money back.

he also mentioned i can pick another item from their page (instead of refunding the money)....i told him there is nothing i want...also their prices are to high; lol 

Haha, I hope you get your money back instead 

The Hitachi stick framing nailers are bad the newer models, but there coil nailers are great.

Haha, I hope you get your money back instead

I cant comment on your stick framers or newer ones but ya they look shitty i dont like stick framers anyway closes to that is my paslode gas framer other then that iys hitachi coils all day