DeWalt DWS 780. why is the blade off center to the left side?

Mountain_Lion

Hi, This is my new Type 20, DWS 780 and the blade is slightly off center. It is very close to the left throad plate almost hugging it when in a 0 degree angle. I have a link to the video I made that explains what the problem is. Now, I would not consider this to be a problem unless the following was happening. You see when I tilt or bevel my saw to the right all a way at 45 degree angle and if I lower it in that setting it is touching the left side yellow throat plate. This time it is not just close to it but actually is hitting it. How can I if I can at all fix this annoying little problem? 

thank you!

Here's the link to my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IGHEWt1m_g

There's nothing wrong with the saw. I posted the same topic over a year ago after I noticed mine. I ended up contacting DeWalt about this and they responded right away. If memory serves me right it had to do with being offset to accommodate the blade arbor adapter and was completely normal and part of the design. I posted this on the forum so everyone would know but at the time it was the DeWalt Owners Group not Tools in Action and apparently that topic is no longer in the archives. Mr Yellow might remember this because he posted pictures of his saw to show it looked the same as mine but hadn't noticed it till I had brought the subject up.

• Like 1

The Kerf plates are plastic. So the saw blade would shave what ever is needed to be removed and doing this won't hurt the blade. When I bought my first miter saw which was a 10" Delta, it didn't have a slot for the blade in the Kerf plate. Once the saw was set up 90 degrees to the table you start the saw and cut the slit in the plastic, same for 45's, it's that simple. If they were steel that would be a problem but that's why they are plastic. This will give you the tightest clearance between the Kerf plates and blade that's possible at all angles.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with the saw. I posted the same topic over a year ago after I noticed mine. I ended up contacting DeWalt about this and they responded right away. If memory serves me right it had to do with being offset to accommodate the blade arbor adapter and was completely normal and part of the design. I posted this on the forum so everyone would know but at the time it was the DeWalt Owners Group not Tools in Action and apparently that topic is no longer in the archives. Mr Yellow might remember this because he posted pictures of his saw to show it looked the same as mine but hadn't noticed it till I had brought the subject up.

whew.... OKAY, that's what I wanted to find out too. Thank you! I did call dewalt and they wanted me to drag this thing to their service center so I thought I try this website first.

Yea when I bought a Ryobi years ago there was no cut in it, so I took the screws out and tossed it. Bid mistake wood pieces fell in the hole all the time, if only youtube was around and I wasn't so dumb.

I hear you. I see people throw new parts away on youtube and I can never understand the motive. Keep the parts, I think, you never know, you might decide to sell it in the future. But admitting and agknowledging out past mistakes is what makes us better. Thanks for the post. I'm a keeper so I will hang on to my plates and will not trim anything like "Turner85" had suggested. I find that advice to be very poor. 

• Like 1

The Kerf plates are plastic. So the saw blade would shave what ever is needed to be removed and doing this won't hurt the blade. When I bought my first miter saw which was a 10" Delta, it didn't have a slot for the blade in the Kerf plate. Once the saw was set up 90 degrees to the table you start the saw and cut the slit in the plastic, same for 45's, it's that simple. If they were steel that would be a problem but that's why they are plastic. This will give you the tightest clearance between the Kerf plates and blade that's possible at all angles.

No Sir, I disagree with you completely and here is why. Dimensions of the throat plate are there for a particular reason. That reason is to show an operator if something is out of line. If you see that your blade is not centered which it should be there might be a bigger issue at hand than just simply cutting what you think is not necessary there. I just hope medical surgeon who operate on human beings do not have the same logic you do. According to the DeWalt representative I spoke to about this very issue, he told me that nothing should be out of line. He said EVERYTHING should be perfectly centered and symmetric and IF it is not, he said it is because either your blade is bent or your miter saw was damaged during transportation or something is out of line and when that is the case, the last thing anyone should do is start cutting peaces of the miter saw (even IF they are made of plastic) off. The reason they are plastic is NOT because they want you to cut it off if the blade is not centered. 

whew.... OKAY, that's what I wanted to find out too. Thank you! I did call dewalt and they wanted me to drag this thing to their service center so I thought I try this website first.

. Glad that u got that sorted out MT.Lion and welcome to the crew man as u can see we have a great bunch of guys willing to help out with any questions needing answers. Enjoy!
  • Like 1

No Sir, I disagree with you completely and here is why. Dimensions of the throat plate are there for a particular reason. That reason is to show an operator if something is out of line. If you see that your blade is not centered which it should be there might be a bigger issue at hand than just simply cutting what you think is not necessary there. I just hope medical surgeon who operate on human beings do not have the same logic you do. According to the DeWalt representative I spoke to about this very issue, he told me that nothing should be out of line. He said EVERYTHING should be perfectly centered and symmetric and IF it is not, he said it is because either your blade is bent or your miter saw was damaged during transportation or something is out of line and when that is the case, the last thing anyone should do is start cutting peaces of the miter saw (even IF they are made of plastic) off. The reason they are plastic is NOT because they want you to cut it off if the blade is not centered.

I think you should listen to the DeWalt rep. After all if he works for the company that makes your saw so he must know everything there is to know about it along with your issue. If I could only count the times I've talked to people about issues that all worked for the same manufacture and received a different answer from everyone of them. I think you miss understood what I was trying to explain, maybe it's my fault the way I worded it but I'm tired and I really don't feel like arguing about it, you do what you think is right. I'm just relaying the answer that DeWalt gave me explaining the reason for the offset blade. This came from their technical support dept. so who knows if they know what they are talking about. I know that my DWS780 has the same clearance and it cuts just fine so I don't consider it to be a problem and their explanation seemed reasonable enough. If your blade is set up correctly to the fence the saw will cut the correct degree angle as long as the material is parallel to the fence. The kerf plates are there to support the material that is being cut and to help reduce tear out. Sure if the blade was out of alignment you would notice a gap difference between the blade and the plate but that's not reason they are there.

I can't imagine that it should be touching the base when it is beveled like he mentioned in the original post above.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

if you can't imagine it I would be more than happy to make a video and post it right here for you and your imagination! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDTd37JPF0&feature=em-upload_owner

I think you should listen to the DeWalt rep. After all if he works for the company that makes your saw so he must know everything there is to know about it along with your issue. If I could only count the times I've talked to people about issues that all worked for the same manufacture and received a different answer from everyone of them. I think you miss understood what I was trying to explain, maybe it's my fault the way I worded it but I'm tired and I really don't feel like arguing about it, you do what you think is right. I'm just relaying the answer that DeWalt gave me explaining the reason for the offset blade. This came from their technical support dept. so who knows if they know what they are talking about. I know that my DWS780 has the same clearance and it cuts just fine so I don't consider it to be a problem and their explanation seemed reasonable enough. If your blade is set up correctly to the fence the saw will cut the correct degree angle as long as the material is parallel to the fence. The kerf plates are there to support the material that is being cut and to help reduce tear out. Sure if the blade was out of alignment you would notice a gap difference between the blade and the plate but that's not reason they are there.

Maybe the kerf plates are not there to provide accuracy for the blade alighnment, yes that may be but again this is guess work and not a definite reason but I know for a fact that they are not there to be sawed out or cut out in case if the blade can not clear it. That would be bizzare. Anyway. Thank you for yourhelp. I am not trying to argue, we're just trying to figure this out. I liked your first post, it made a lot of sense but couldnt agree with your second post that kerf plate can be trimmed. Sorry thats just how I think about it.

if you can't imagine it I would be more than happy to make a video and post it right here for you and your imagination!

My comment was directed at whoever said that it was ok for the blade to be touching the side. I do not need to see a video unless you are just feeling froggy and want to make another video.

My comment was directed at whoever said that it was ok for the blade to be touching the side. I do not need to see a video unless you are just feeling froggy and want to make another video.

I don't know what feeling froggy means, but I understood your comment as you not believing that it was touching the side and if that is the case than the video should clarify that.

I don't know what feeling froggy means, but I understood your comment as you not believing that it was touching the side and if that is the case than the video should clarify that.

Ok, no I meant that I can't believe that it was supposed to do that. I think someone replied to your post and said it was supposed to do that. I was meaning that I couldn't imagine Dewalt would intentionally make it so you just shaved off what you needed if it wasn't square. Thanks for the video though. Hopefully now you can get it fixed so you can use that sweet saw!