What did you do today? A thread dedicated to the general use of tools in your projects.

99_XC600

Figure I would kick this off as a general discussion of what you did today.whether it be in the Garage, House, Job, Yard and the tools that you used to accomplish the task.

Today, I replaced the rear axle bearings in my wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty. With 150k on it, I was beginning to hear some howling from the rear end. I had to remove the diff cover, brakes, pull the c-clips and then finally pull the axles. I had to use a slide hammer and a rear bearing puller to get them out.

Overall the project went pretty well. Only one issue is when the pin fell out of the spider gears while I was doing the passenger side and they fell out. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how they went back in.. :)

Ended up using a lot of the Porter Cable stuff today.

909E3452-6295-40E2-B7D1-63D1789415C0_zps

118E88E3-BAAE-40A3-A1D1-73EEA1A9AFBF_zps

DB4FB047-DD2E-4DC0-8B56-B9106C96146A_zps

042F4363-2DBC-49AA-8670-30CADC323592_zps

Did a real quick an easy side job.

Had to fix a cylinder mount on a skid steers grapple bucket. The bracket were the left hydraulic cylinder mounts broke off. Just had to weld the mount back. I also added gussets to both left an right side cylinder mounts so it won't happen again. It was all stick welded with 7018.

Tools used were a miller trailblazer 325 diesel, millwakee angle grinders, and Milwaukee portable bandsaw.

• Like 1

A few projects:

Wife and little tyke have been out of town since Friday, so took an opportunity. 

Can you say new home-owner? 

1) Installed ceiling in new walk-in shower (solo job), cut in for can-light and 10" rain-shower head with Milwaukee adjustable hole-cutter (better and cheaper than the klein).

2) Did final work installing two new windows only waiting for interior and exterior trim.

3) Did final drywall mudding and patch work in 1.2.3.4.5 rooms.

4) Reinstalled 3x  4X8 4" gap T1-11 panels (solo job) and trim on the exterior bathroom wall of the house around new 9.8 gal tankless H2O heater and new windows. A true stress test for the # 2 mode of the Fuel hex impact. Got a touch warm. Glad I went Fuel.

5) Broke out the brand spanking new Fuel Sawzall for the final panel-window fitting, then having it out, said screw it and popped in a pruning blade.  Like butter, baby, butter...

6) Did about 20% of the pruning I need to do around the house.

7) Installed easy access power strips to each side of the bed frame beneath our bed. Used Fuel Hammer drill for holes in frame. A beautiful little beast.

8. )Went to HD and eyed a Ryobi 16 ga cordless nailer for trim work, bought a new T-bevel in prep. Thinking the nailer will be purchased Wed or Thurs!!!

9) Removed 4 lineal feet of wainscoting to shim out and level drywall for wainscoting repair.

10) Used Fastback II to clean up shitty paint edging in entry hall and dining room.

11) Took my f-ing clothes off, wiped my face drank a gallon of iced water, and laid myself out and opened to TIA!!!

Thinking about packing up my tobacco pipe for a nice relaxing smoke.

Sundays.

That's looks like a lot fun. Only thing is I hate the smell of gear oil especially if you get it on your hands. How are those craftsman jack stands holding up? I think about getting a set since mine from 10years ago rusted the pins out.

You're 100% correct on the gear oil, it makes the garage stink  I spent a couple hours today in the garage today cleaning up and putting everything away and I could still smell it.

The craftsman jack stands are holding up pretty well, no issues so far. I have a set of HF stands as well. I actually used both sets to change the bearings. I used the HF set to lift the Jeep off the ground and then used the Craftsman's to support the axle. I needed the axle to hang down as low as possible since the fuel tank for the Jeep sits right up against the differential and getting the top bolts off would have been tight.  

• Like 1

Decided to work on some ramps for working on vehicles. Broke out a B&D sidewinder circular saw (it came with the house), my M12 Fuel impact driver, an M12 non-Fuel Hackzall, a Makita LXT18 drill, a Bosch ROS, a square, a couple of Estwing hammers, an Estwing prybar, and a couple of C-clamps. I'm sure I could have gotten by with about half the tools...

You're 100% correct on the gear oil, it makes the garage stink  I spent a couple hours today in the garage today cleaning up and putting everything away and I could still smell it.

The craftsman jack stands are holding up pretty well, no issues so far. I have a set of HF stands as well. I actually used both sets to change the bearings. I used the HF set to lift the Jeep off the ground and then used the Craftsman's to support the axle. I needed the axle to hang down as low as possible since the fuel tank for the Jeep sits right up against the differential and getting the top bolts off would have been tight.

I'm gonna grab a set of those craftsman jack stands thanks for the recommendation

Today I continued on with the window replacement project. Installed 2 windows in my laundry room, Had to take extra care in removing of the existing trim and foam the windows since none of the trim is painted and I didn't want to have to worry about repairing the finish.

Used my Porter Cable 20V Lithium Oscillating Tool quite a bit on this one. This is the go to tool for cleaning up the window opening and prepping the surface for the new window. Also it is the best thing to use to trim the foam. It's like cutting bread!

Just need to cap off the exterior and do a little of exterior painting and these will be done.

304762F2-88A1-4699-98A1-36FE15685C75_zps

37025123-4999-4CCF-971D-3BF65FFD7D87_zps

5C149AF5-DC59-4B26-B056-89B7866D077C_zps

C93B2EFB-C2F2-44BF-A8DA-0E1DEF078429_zps

FB2044CE-A177-4B6D-9B7F-B95D90D07AD6_zps

Also on a side note.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do to remove masking tape from finished trim? The previous owner of the house for what ever reason went crazy with the stuff and it's all over the trim in the room. This is the white stuff you see under the windows..