What did you do today? A thread dedicated to the general use of tools in your projects.

99_XC600

Had to sand some floors in a large house. 3 floors plus a basement and walk in attic. Only downside was one of the owners smokes inside and the other guy working with me decides to not use a vac with the sander. Was only one day or so he didn't use the vac but still. Main floor is almost finished. Might have been pre 1900's when it was built.

Left my tool-laden truck and rented a car for the week, so I had to rely on a buddy's Channellock hand tool set and a new Estwing long handled hammer I threw in the trunk to replace a starter along with calipers, pads, and rotors on an SUV while on leave.  I did have to buy another set of Channellock 908 electrical pliers to crimp the connector for the starter, deciding to save $30 over the Klein stripper and crimper tools, which I also have over 600 miles away.

• 3 weeks later...

Used my ro150 last night with gears engaged, speed 6, and 80 grit paper. I was sanding a line I scribed on a project I was building. I have never seen an ROS sander sand so fast. Sanded like a champ. Seems a bit harder to control than other ROS sanders I have used. Seems to want to jump around. Maybe cause it is 150mm/6in vs 5in on the other ones I have used. 

2 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Those are pretty badass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I use a clipboard everyday and figured they'd be a great first project(s) to get the planer process down. I'm pretty proud how they turned out considering they're the first four of anything like that I've ever made. One has sprung a couple MMs but I expected it with how thin they are(1/4") after putting a healthy soak of oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Wiring what's going to be something called an "escape room" - some city fad where they lock you in and you need to find clues to "escape", I guess. Not sure folks'll come way out here for such, but maybe during the lake season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, sparky603 said:

Wiring what's going to be something called an "escape room" - some city fad where they lock you in and you need to find clues to "escape", I guess. Not sure folks'll come way out here for such, but maybe during the lake season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 7:01 PM, BMack37 said:

Made the right one yesterday and the left one today. Just trying new ideas out with the second one...first two projects with the jointer and planer:

3VLHRuh.jpg

BMack! Those look great man.  You should sell a few. I’m sure people would buy them

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, T75R said:

Those actually look really cool. What’s the process?

Draw them on this Masonite-type stuff I have, scroll blade on the jigsaw to cut them out. Easy to do, except the antlers. They're basically the yard-sized ones you see, scaled-down to desktop sizes. They're all pretty close to the same size, I printed a drawing on the computer and use it for the body, the legs I'll make longer or wider as the mood suits me, and the antlers I do by hand. Draw them on a folded piece of paper then cut them out with scissors so both sides look the same. I've been going crazy with the antlers, making them pretty big on some of the deer. I think that's what makes the whole thing look so cool is the outrageous antlers.

Fairly easy to do, even for the more "intricate" cuts for the antlers, it's the sanding the corners smooth that kills me. Use the angle grinder with a flap disc on the straighter cuts but the antlers I have to use a Dremel and a 1/4" sanding drum...which makes a hell of a mess all over me and the garage. Cleaning up is quite the process...

The "block" reindeer are a bitch because I don't have a band saw or scroll saw, just the jigsaw. It's hard to get the dinky scroll blade all the way through the long side of the wood. I bought longer blades but they're a bit deeper tooth-to-spine so I can't make the tighter cuts with them. They're supposed to be made on the band saw, I saw a video on it a while back, that's where I got the idea. But I've managed to fight through and make a few, they're cool to make and I can't resist. A lot of sanding on those too, but I can use the belt sander on the bigger areas so it's not so bad.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kato said:

Draw them on this Masonite-type stuff I have, scroll blade on the jigsaw to cut them out. Easy to do, except the antlers. They're basically the yard-sized ones you see, scaled-down to desktop sizes. They're all pretty close to the same size, I printed a drawing on the computer and use it for the body, the legs I'll make longer or wider as the mood suits me, and the antlers I do by hand. Draw them on a folded piece of paper then cut them out with scissors so both sides look the same. I've been going crazy with the antlers, making them pretty big on some of the deer. I think that's what makes the whole thing look so cool is the outrageous antlers.

Fairly easy to do, even for the more "intricate" cuts for the antlers, it's the sanding the corners smooth that kills me. Use the angle grinder with a flap disc on the straighter cuts but the antlers I have to use a Dremel and a 1/4" sanding drum...which makes a hell of a mess all over me and the garage. Cleaning up is quite the process...

The "block" reindeer are a bitch because I don't have a band saw or scroll saw, just the jigsaw. It's hard to get the dinky scroll blade all the way through the long side of the wood. I bought longer blades but they're a bit deeper tooth-to-spine so I can't make the tighter cuts with them. They're supposed to be made on the band saw, I saw a video on it a while back, that's where I got the idea. But I've managed to fight through and make a few, they're cool to make and I can't resist. A lot of sanding on those too, but I can use the belt sander on the bigger areas so it's not so bad.

Seems like quite the process!! I’m any case great job. Awesome to see that not having the right tool didn’t hinder the finished product. 

It sounds like more than it actually is. Although it does take time doing, the actual cutting is fairly easy, the sanding is tedious but also somewhat easy. Just takes time and standing for too long gets wearing...

• 2 weeks later...

I've cut out my usual hobby of excessive drinking and have instead been making signs and other projects out of wood.  I started with a basic tree shaped stocking holder similar to one Home Depot demo'ed a month or so ago.  A piece of the remaining 1x4" went to a Happy Holidays sign, then a scrap of cull fence board became signs for my brother and his fiance.  They requested signs for the kids' rooms, so I worked on those today.

Initially, I used my M18 Fuel circular saw due to the number of angles cut for the stocking holder.  It's overkill for the signs, so the DeWalt 20v Max jigsaw and the 18v Ridgid ROS and router have been put through their paces since then.  The router works great for etching out signs with a 1/4" straight bit.  

I've gotta admit that this is therapeutic in a way.  Work and school haven't challenged me to the point where I've felt a need to slow down on the drinking.  Learning new skills and honing them has been a refreshing change from the status quo.  

The cull rack at Home Depot offers much potential for inexpensive projects, and I'm thinking about offering my crafts for free to neighbors so long as I live in the apartment.  There are lots of college students and others who may appreciate rudimentary pieces of art as I strive to perfect my techniques.  

The week before Christmas @justinkendall and I were working on a bottle opener for our cousin since he wanted a nice one. He had some requirements that it be a bare bones opener with no sharp points since he's flying back to Texas. He had no idea that we were making him one and he seems absolutely thrilled with it. I don't use my Ryobi band saw nearly as much as I thought I would since it has limited capacity and I suck at dealing with drift, but the couple of cuts I had to make on it and watching some youtube videos has me wanting to do more band saw projects. Maybe some simple small boxes.

I didn't get any photos of the bottle opener after completing it, all I have is the photo of the resawn bocote prior to all of the work that was put into it.

We used a Rockler Bartender's Bottle Opener kit which made it simple to put together. Justin did a lot of the shaping with a rasp and sanding sponge. I then finalized the shape mostly with them and then sanded it with the Pro 5 using 80 grit to get it to a comfortable grip. I then went over the entire thing with 120 and 220 grit sandpaper and finished it off with two coats of natural danish oil. I think it turned out really nice and wish I had gotten a few photos of it.

I have another bottle opener kit and some more bocote so I'm going to make another one. This time I'm going to use Minwax Polycrylic on it because the danish oil took forever to dry and I'm curious to see how it looks with a film finish. I'm also going to skip using the pins that come with the kit, they really don't add much to the bottle opener other than aesthetics and are a pain to work with. On the first bottle opener I had to deburr them with sandpaper and then did the majority of trimming to size with 80 grit on the Pro 5. If I use them again I now have the belt sander to help with this issue.

• Like 1