Ryobi 18g brad nailer

Maxwell Tyler Ray

Those are the 2.5Ah batteries? The Airstrike isn't a particularly battery killing tool. It really is just a tiny air compressed piston so the battery is only used a split second each time. The 4.0 batteries will probably give you around 1k nails per charge but the smaller 2.5 batteries probably still will give you over 600 and shaves off some bulk and weight from a tool that's only real downside is its a little porky.

Lol that's a good way to put it...Porky!! I could see where the smaller size of a pneumatic nail has is its benefits but when you weight the hose and compressor it's worth it's porky size!

Senco has their own brad gun similar to the air strike but seems much smaller however I couldnt see buying into their batteries that only power their nailers and no other types of tools..and of course the higher price..

Still think it's killer run time on either of their batteries..I'm jus super spoiled by Milwaukee red lithiums I'm gunna need one w a fuel gauge!!!

Lol that's a good way to put it...Porky!! I could see where the smaller size of a pneumatic nail has is its benefits but when you weight the hose and compressor it's worth it's porky size!

Senco has their own brad gun similar to the air strike but seems much smaller however I couldnt see buying into their batteries that only power their nailers and no other types of tools..and of course the higher price..

Still think it's killer run time on either of their batteries..I'm jus super spoiled by Milwaukee red lithiums I'm gunna need one w a fuel gauge!!!

Yeah people never factor the drag the hose has on the tool and with the annoyance of tripping over hoses and getting them snagged etc. Also like I mentioned above for occasional small jobs you'd be still getting your hose and compressor sorted out while the airstrike might already be finished with the job and the battery already back on the charger.

Plus now you can buy some great inexpensive Ryobi accessories to go with the batteries. Seriously, for the price of the Rigid brad nailer kit you could get the airstrike, charger, some batteries, a fan and led floodlight.

When I was buying the nailer yesterday I forgot the nails duh LOL.....so off to HD this morning to buy some nails and one of them fans were calling my name out ha,ha.....

attachicon.gifryobinailerfankit.JPG

Lol, those fans are a good deal. I like them way better than the Milwaukee ones. Being able to plug it in the and extension cord is so convenient too for extended use and not wasting batteries.

You missed it but a few months ago all the HD's by me had clearances on nails. I got all different sizes for the heck of it, I think some were like a few bucks for 5k packs. Some of the smaller sizes I wasn't sure I'd ever use came in handy with some of the more delicate trim work and neck moldings I'm doing on doors and windows.

You missed it but a few months ago all the HD's by me had clearances on nails. I got all different sizes for the heck of it, I think some were like a few bucks for 5k packs. Some of the smaller sizes I wasn't sure I'd ever use came in handy with some of the more delicate trim work and neck moldings I'm doing on doors and windows.

Wow that's a great deal.....just another thing I need to keep a look out for.

So we got to use the gun quite a bit today and I'll say I like it but it's giving me trouble with the firing pin not resetting!!!

Only thing I can say makes it do it is the gum from nails maybe?? Idk! Seems like I clean the head of glue collection and it works good for 10-20 nails then the fire pin wouldn't reset again!!

I was using a brand new pack of hitachi 2" brads

When the gun does what it's supposed to its fantastic!!

Due to firing pin issue I can't decide if I'm gunna keep it...overall I give it a 7 out of 10

So we got to use the gun quite a bit today and I'll say I like it but it's giving me trouble with the firing pin not resetting!!!

Only thing I can say makes it do it is the gum from nails maybe?? Idk! Seems like I clean the head of glue collection and it works good for 10-20 nails then the fire pin wouldn't reset again!!

I was using a brand new pack of hitachi 2" brads

When the gun does what it's supposed to its fantastic!!

Due to firing pin issue I can't decide if I'm gunna keep it...overall I give it a 7 out of 10

Doesn.t sound good.....maybe try another brand of nails, I bought some dewalt and porter cable nails to try out and will report back.

Doesn.t sound good.....maybe try another brand of nails, I bought some dewalt and porter cable nails to try out and will report back.

I got through about 3 or 4 sticks of nails till it did it but once it started it never went away..I'm thinking I'll use some white lithium grease to maybe help lube things up..

I wanna love this gun I really do but that firing pin not resetting us gunna drive me crazy..you gotta pull the head and manually push it back up!!!

I got through about 3 or 4 sticks of nails till it did it but once it started it never went away..I'm thinking I'll use some white lithium grease to maybe help lube things up..

I wanna love this gun I really do but that firing pin not resetting us gunna drive me crazy..you gotta pull the head and manually push it back up!!!

I thought I read to use tool oil but here are some comments from users with issues  http://toolguyd.com/ryobi-airstrike-18v-cordless-brad-nailer-p320/

Maybe exchange it for another or call Ryobi and see what they say.....Over the week end I'm going to shoot several hundred nails, if it jambs it goes back. Also lot's of the issues were early on so maybe its just a fluke your having some issues. Positive thoughts it all works out  :)

Man that sucks. I use Dewalt and porter cable nails and no issues. I don't know if I'd use white lithium grease. I would just bring it back and see if the next one is better.

The Real Tool dude has a video where he goes over maintenance of nailers and recommends using a Paslode cleaning and lube kit. He also mentions about using high quality nails. It's a good all around video for nailers in general. I'm probably gonna get the Paslode kit but I haven't had any issues with my nailer and don't want to jinx it lol.

Removed real tool YouTube video link out of respect for Dan and Eric...

Hey thanks to both of y'all..I'm gunna lube it and see how it works out..I could tell it was gettin gummed up in their but didn't have any tool oil or even wd-40!! Sounds like from the link posted regular lubrication and it works fine!!

I would have thought hitachi nails would be good but I'll definitely look into that!!

Thanks again guys on the encouragement!!!

I'm not saying that I'm giving up of the ryobi but have yall checked out Rigids Hyperdrive brushless nailer??

It's about $100 more and looks like a spitting image of the air strike..it is brushless so runtime is a bit better but the company that owns ryobi & Milwaukee(TTI) also has licenseing agreement with rigid..so I'm curious how different they really are.....

I mentioned the Rigid. It looks like a brushless version of the Ryobi. The nail transport mechanism looks identical except for the clear cover and bigger release handles.

Completely forgot ab ur post ab the rigid in the beginning..I agree with you that for the money I like the air strike enough that if a little oil fixes my issue then I definitely keep it over the higher priced ones..thanks again for all ur input!!

Since I'm just occasional user of nailers, mostly projects around the house I wouldn't be apposed to a few minutes of maintenance before use but would expect to shoot hunfreds of nails with out issue....I have 15, 16 and framing air nailers and always a few drops of tool oil before each use and never an issue.....so keeping fingures crossed with the airstrike.

So today I cleaned everything and oiled it back up..seems to work like a charm!! I agree with earlier post by JBW55, a little maintenance a the beginning of a work day isn't too much of a big deal!!

I'm big on maintenance anyways so not a big deal..I had jus figured it'd make it a bit longer than it did right out of the box.

I'd feel confident to recommend this nailer to anyone that believes on proper maintenance!!!

Well crud - that stinks that you're having trouble with your gun.  I have been using porter cable nails and had no issues with resets.

I'm thinking it was more a lubrication issue than a nail issue(even though good nails do go a long ways)..have you ever oiled the head/firing pin area??