Ryobi 18g brad nailer

Maxwell Tyler Ray

So today I cleaned everything and oiled it back up..seems to work like a charm!! I agree with earlier post by JBW55, a little maintenance a the beginning of a work day isn't too much of a big deal!!

I'm big on maintenance anyways so not a big deal..I had jus figured it'd make it a bit longer than it did right out of the box.

I'd feel confident to recommend this nailer to anyone that believes on proper maintenance!!!

Great to hear its working.....

It so hard going by those internet reviews. No matter what there will be people saying good things and people saying bad things. About every product and restaurant and movie and tool. Always tough to decide. That's why it's so good to have a site like this where people check things out in the real world and have really used the product.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to spend time with the Ryobi 18 gauge nailer.....shot a bunch of 1' and 2' nails, absolutly no issues what so ever. Sunk every nail with out needing to punch them as long as you were fairlly square to the material, my Hitachi air nailer does a slightly better job when not shooting as square to the material. The Ryobi is a bit heavier and larger than my air nailer, took a few hours to get use to. In regards to mis-fires or jambs, never experienced any, shot perfect every time.....It was pretty clean after several hundred nails but cleaned and re-oiled anyway for good measure. All in all the Ryobi is great and wouldn't hesitate buying one again.

Great to hear man!! I've come to enjoy mine but it definitely needs to be cleaned and oiled regularly..I've had great use out of mine aswell but I can tell when it's got too much glue build up or debris and needs tobe cleaned..

It certainly sets the nails nicely and the extra weight takes getting used to but compared to the noise and irritation of a compressor and hose it's figuratively way lighter haha

Well worth the money and I'd recommend to anyone..jus needs cleaned and oils after every use!!

Great to hear man!! I've come to enjoy mine but it definitely needs to be cleaned and oiled regularly..I've had great use out of mine aswell but I can tell when it's got too much glue build up or debris and needs tobe cleaned..

It certainly sets the nails nicely and the extra weight takes getting used to but compared to the noise and irritation of a compressor and hose it's figuratively way lighter haha

Well worth the money and I'd recommend to anyone..jus needs cleaned and oils after every use!!

I think if Ryobi were to include some sort of maintance sheet stating to clean and oil after each use I bet the negative comments would be next to none.....and to me its no big deal as it takes only a minute.

I think if Ryobi were to include some sort of maintance sheet stating to clean and oil after each use I bet the negative comments would be next to none.....and to me its no big deal as it takes only a minute.

Yea that's a great idea and your probably right!!

Few minutes and your good as new!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have any of you experienced the Ryibi not sinking the nails far enough into the material?  and any comment on the 16 gauge nailer??

I waited for the Ridgid model to come out and purchased one from HD. The system is similar design to that of the Ryobi. I think it's the same company making it as well.

I returned the Ridgid for that exact reason. Found it inconsistent burying the brads into the wood. Some were left just slightly raised requiring me to go back and push them in. Waste of time for me. I had all the settings to max presure and depth and I found I had to have complete weight (both hands) behind the gun for it to sink. If the gun bounces in any way (one handed), the brads don't always sink. I think the technology isn't anywhere near an air compressor yet.

A friend said he removed the rubber pad on the tip and he said it helped a bit but would mar surface.

Makita is different tech from what I understand. I'm waiting to try that when I can.

I'm waiting to see what Milwaukee comes out with as well

• 2 weeks later...

I have the opposite experience with my Ryobi brad. It's almost too powerful and sinks the brads always deep. Ive tried backing off the power but it goes through pine almost too easy. I tried it on some hardwood flooring and it seems to get the nail just right. I don't mind the pine being set too deep because I have to use filler anyway and would rather too deep than proud because you end up making a bigger mess in that case usually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had some of the same issues with the firing pin sticking on the 18ga nailer. Found out that if you turn the power setting down it will cycle again.

after some experimenting I've found that the max setting is rarely needed. Keeping the power dial located on top of the nailer  at half to three quarter setting has fixed the sticking problem.

All in all I've found the Ryobi to be quite dependable and extremely handy. The cleaning required on this unit is minimal compared to the old Paslode gas cartridge system.

• 3 months later...

A little late to this thread, but I thought I would chime in anyway.  

A couple years ago I bought a Ryobi battery narrow crown stapler.  We use staples for aluminum soffit.  We were dragging around the hoses and compressor.  I thought I would try it out.  So far the stapler has worked great.  I have no complaints.

While I was at it, I went ahead and bought the 18ga brad nailer.  We use a brad nailer alot.  The brad nailer worked great for about 6 to 9 months, then nothing. One day it just stopped working.  I didn't bother with trying to return it, because I thought I might drift away from the Ryobi and get a DeWalt nailer.  I ended up buying another nailer and it's been doing great.  We've used it alot.  More than the stapler.

I would prefer the brad nailer leave a smaller hole in the wood, but that would be the only complaint.  We also have a Paslode brad nailer and while it does a slightly better job, it rarely gets used.  I can't even remember the last time the air guns were drug out.

I will also admit, I'm terrible about maintenance.  Get them out, work, throw them back in the bag and on to the next job.  I've never cleaned or lubed them.  

Isn't that something you save until they stop working?  

I'm not a fan of cheap tools, but I really can't complain about these.  If either one of them were to die, today, I wouldn't hesitate to order another one.

As far as how many nails or staples you can do on a charge, I have no idea.  It's so many that it doesn't even matter.  I have 2 small batteries and 1 charger and I've never had an issue.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

i had mine for a year (airstrike) and haven't used it that much and lately just wasn't shooting anymore. I brought it to a second party for repairs because Home depot wont deal with it and its been almost 2 months and still waiting for the nailer. Service really sucks. Why would it take that long??? Ill take a re-emboursement anytime!

Never heard HD playing hardball, I’ve returned things after the warranty and just get a store credit always. Sorry to hear that....As far as the brad nailer ,mine works great  no problems,,gotta oil and clean ..like the guys above said....I’m not getting the Dewalt brad nailer....I went back to pneumatic guns with the cordless Dewalt compressor....the Dewalt precision point nailers are the best IMO...the tip doesn’t depress just place and shoot...perfection!!!!...Best of luck