Comp56's Daily Handy Tips

comp56

I will be posting some Handy Tips I have come across over the years.... some of them will be well known and some may be new to you.

These tips will probably save you time and some times money but most times will save you a bunch of frustration. I will be posting as a reply and also editing the first post so eventually all the tips will be in the first post so they will be easy to find.

comment or post your own tips and I will add them to the first post in sequential order with your username 

Tip 1: Blind Set Screw

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/#comment-80746

Tip 2: Cutting a Not so Straight Line

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/#comment-80748

Tip 3: Draw a circle without Compass....

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/#comment-80776

Tip 4: Take the guessing out of Miter saw cuts....

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/#comment-80777

Tip 5 : Make a Corner Clamp

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/#comment-80911

Tip 6 : Fold Sandpaper Properly

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/#comment-81080

Tip 7: Corner to Corner Measurement without bending tape measure.

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/#comment-81216

Tip 8: Dress Your Stone By jeffmcmillan

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7433-comp56s-daily-handy-tips/#comment-81782

• Like 5

ok so here is just an example to get exact line, I'm using a corner that is not square but it can be used on a straight line that is not prefect as well you are just marking a line exact as the wall or anything you need without a gap.

first pic shows how to mark cut line 

DSC_1708.jpg

second pic shows new cut line that will be the same as the corner.....

DSC_1710.jpg

Tip 1 Blind Set Screw

have you ever had to deal with a blind set screw? can't see it for the life of you or it is just to far to hold the little set screw to get it started but you have to get it in the hole. magnetic alan or Hex keys can work but most are not magnetic.

Solution: 

take a small piece of 2 sided tape and wrap it around the end of the alan key, so the set screw sticks to the key and you can guide it in to get it started so it don't fall off. Once you have the set screw started you can remove the tape. this can be done in reverse as well if you are removing the set screw and don't want to drop it and or lose it. 

Tip 2 Cutting a Not so Straight Line

Need to make a cut to match a line that is not straight, possibly you are putting a shelf on a wall and the wall has some highs and lows, or ins and outs....so a straight cut line will not look right because of the gaps?

Solution: 

put a board or the shelf you want to place on the wall then take a regular flat washer, run your pencil on the outside edge of the inside circle of the washer along the wall and it will transfer the exact line you need to make the match. you then can cut the new line you just drew. this can work on all kinds of things I just used a shelf for an example.

DSC_1708.jpg

DSC_1710.jpg

• Like 1

Tip 3: Draw a circle without Compass....

need to draw a perfect circle but don't have a compass handy?

Solution:

use a sawzall blade ....put a screw in the end of the blade, put your pencil on the tooth for desired size and draw your circle.

t3_1.jpg

• Like 2

Tip 4: Take the guessing out of Miter saw cuts....

need to make a percise cut on your miter saw, don't have a zero clearance plate to see where the cut will be?

Solution:

Take a piece of colored masking tape and place it down the center of the plate, make a cut in the tape and you will see where your blade will be on the next cut  accurately. easy fast and you can remove tape any time.

t4a.png

t4b.jpg

• Like 1

Tip 5: Make a Corner Clamp

Don't have a third hand, or a corner clamp? here is a quick and easy way to get it done....

Solution:

Take a scrap piece of plywood, (or any wood) cut it in a triangle making sure it is square....cut or drill a triangular hole in the corner for clamps and clamp away......

DSC_1723.jpg
DSC_1726.jpg
DSC_1728.jpg

• Like 2

Tip 4: Make a Corner Clamp

Don't have a third hand, or a corner clamp? here is a quick and easy way to get it done....

Solution:

Take a scrap piece of plywood, (or any wood) cut it in a triangle making sure it is square....cut or drill a triangular hole in the corner for clamps and clamp away......

DSC_1723.jpg

DSC_1726.jpg

DSC_1728.jpg

Very creative, i just bought a corner clamp but i like this idea better.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tip 6: Fold Sandpaper Properly

Do you ever use sheet sandpaper to sand something by hand?, well if you fold it properly it will last longer. Reason for this is, if you fold it so abrasive side is touching each other it wears out while using it.

Solution:

Follow instructions in picture......you can refold it so it never has abrasive on abrasive until you wear out all 4 sides.

DSC_1740.jpg

• Like 1

Tip 7: Corner to Corner Measurement without bending tape measure.

Need an accurate measurement within a corner to corner you can get it without bending the tape.

Solution:

Start at one end and make a mark at 10", go to other end and measure to the same mark and add the 10" to give you a total.

Note: 10" is just an example you can make the mark at any point you just add whatever you marked it at. 

m1.png

Tip 8 Dress your Stones

Need to dress a bench top grinding stone, square off the the grinding face, you probably have the tool to do it.......
Solution: 
use an old carbide saw blade and run it slowly across the face of the stone and it will dress the stone nicely

Sent in by jeffmcmillan

• 6 months later...

Thank for bringing this to light again, @jrsalas and thanks @comp56 for the awesome tips. There are many posts that I have yet to read through and benefit from, and this is one such example.
I don't see anyone else contributing their cools tips, let's pile them in here, no need to make comp do all the work!!

A simple way to minimize tear outs on sheet goods while cutting with a circular saw if you don't have a table saw or zero clearance track is to put masking tape down the path where the blade will cut, if you need it to look that good, and make sure to run the saw through slowly. It will generally not chip anyways with a good blade, but for that last little bit of detail, it works for me 

• Like 3