DeWalt TOOL Connect?

RickyMcGrath

Downloaded the new Tool Connect app today to play around a bit and it dawned on me that the app is called TOOL Connect. Not BATTERY Connect. The menu inside the app also says "Add TOOL." Any word on when other tools will be Bluetooth enabled?

No word on when but belive me it will come.. I have seen some crazy plans.. :-)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a couple of bluetooth batteries and although right now its use (for me) is limited I do like it. I was looking to find a way to rename my batteries in the app and found out you have to unpair them and then pair again and give them the desired name.
It would be nice to do that instantly actually. Another thing that would be nice is to see which kind of battery it is in the overview. So it says 18V (20v Max in US) and 5.0Ah for example. 

I like the new feature from the last update where you can see on a map where the batteries were last seen. That works really accurate.

The only complaint I kinda have is that the look of the app doesn't really fit with the latest iOS versions, but that's doesn't affect its functionality.
Perhaps also add a feature to the notifications where you can get a notification when a battery is too cold to charge. 

• 4 months later...

Those are new $300 tough boxes that lock through Bluetooth. DeWalt No-Key. It and Milwaukee both use Why?Fi because no one knows why that functionality would be necessary.

But in actuality, I would guess he is able to lock his tools/check batteries etc from his phone without opening a pile of boxes. 

• Like 1

Whatever it is, I won't need it. I think it's just too gimmicky. If I were on huge jobs and owned piles of tools and batteries...maybe. 

One thing I would take if Dewalt were to do it is active on demand WIFI based GPS so if your tools are ever stolen or missing you can at least get generalized location with a phone application. 

Other than that...firm pass for me.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10 July 2016 at 2:07 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Ok what is this all about? Any updated information?

Also, I think maybe this individual is on the forum here...??

Yep... Thats my Van Guys... What do you Guys want to know??... There aren't any updates to this Tool Connect system since it's launch, but there are some interesting 'muted' ongoing ideas for future benefits.. All of which (I'm afraid) are under the terms of an NDA.... 

3 hours ago, rossi7x said:

Yep... Thats my Van Guys... What do you Guys want to know??... There aren't any updates to this Tool Connect system since it's launch, but there are some interesting 'muted' ongoing ideas for future benefits.. All of which (I'm afraid) are under the terms of an NDA.... 

20v Brad nailer?

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, framer said:

can i use this to track and see if my guys are working hard enough? :lol:

We had a tracker like that at work on the fork trucks. we had some genius figure out that the best thing to do to help your numbers was to sit still and talk and raise and lower it every 15 seconds or so. After a little bit the guys who were honestly working couldn't make their numbers yet the F.O. artists looked like heroes and nothing got moved. It went away after about a year.  Nothing beats knowing their job and watching them work for a little bit. If you find they aren't getting the job done, then those employees need more supervision. When they catch on that more work means less boss and less work means more boss they will start working harder just to see you less. If I see my boss at the beginning of the day, get the plan and expectations, I really don't need to talk to him unless there are obstacles to success, then it's a call to him or the person who can remove the obstacle. The rest of the time I don't need to see him until the end of the day.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Got my hands on the impact driver. Had a hard time finding info before pulling the trigger so I wanted to shed some light on the tool side of connect. Below is a longish video but the main points are fairly cool with a big seller at the end. The gist is you get to track heat buildup in the drill, battery life(works with non connect batteries in connect drill), disconnect when your out of range, customize 4 speed settings, and finally track your drills last location. I like the idea of this in case it gets stolen. Should that happen, you can send a ping from ANY individual with the app for your drill and if they are within 100’ +/- of you can get its location. There is also the “precision drive delay”. Don’t know what that means. The manual only says it helps with delicate fastening like door hinges and such to avoid stripping. Hope it is anything like makita’s auto functions.

fd0a3e01926e7155ad77c1d6c11af725.jpg747389233efd2f02f19cc73386b32f90.jpgda9a8e5e8120aa6f49439f05c2df28b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks neat and all but it's still "just" an 887 with bluetooth, can't make it stronger than 887 just slower/weaker.... needs "overclocking" or "developer mode"..... that would be cool as hell and I'd buy....