2703-22 Update

RickyMcGrath

So I've had my 2703-22 for a few weeks now and have not really had the opportunity to put it through the gauntlet. Minor drilling and driving. Today, I installed three new deadbolts with new security plates.

The issue: after driving the big 3" screws for the security plates, the drill was completely unresponsive in between screws a few times. No light or any response from the drill. Full battery charge. Changing from forward to reverse did nothing. The solution was to remove and re-insert the battery and the drill acted as normal. I'm not a Milwaukee guy so I'm not overly familiar with what the problem may have been. Battery or drill related. I didn't really have a lot of time to toy with it. Maybe this weekend I will try to isolate the problem to either the battery or drill.

If you watch the black part, you can see that has a wobble in it too. Watch down to the bottom right carefully.

Mine has that too. It's the way it's attached I guess. Slightly off. But there is no wobble what so ever in the drill bit so it's more of a cosmetic thing.

I'm on my 3rd kit now. Had really bad wobble with the first drill, had a weird grinding/vibrating/knocking issue with the 2nd kit with both the drill and impact, and now on to my 3rd kit I drilled 4 holes with my drill and it went unresponsive just like yours. and it wobbles...

Wobble in the Chuck had been a known probleem in soms, not all, fuel drills. Will always be replaced by warranty of course.

Could it have been an overload/over heating protection that switched on ? Makita tools require you to take out the battery and put it back in if you trigger the overload protectionisme a few times in a row.

If thats not the case then most likely faulty Electronics Package and milwaukees warranty will take care of that.

When I was at the store, I looked at 3 Fuel 2 hammer drills on display. Put a drill bit into them and noticed that 2 had some noticeable chuck wobble with the drill bit.  The third one was perfect with no visual chuck wobble with the drill bit. I actually checked out the 2702, the new compact brushless non-Fuel model, and noticed that the 4 on display all had noticeable chuck wobble with a drill bit installed.  In addition, my buddy bought a 2702 and found that the chuck was binding a bit (stiff) out of the box. Milwaukee told him to exchange it. In terms of the chuck wobble I saw, Milwaukee also assured me that the Fuel line uses higher grade materials in their chucks with finer tolerances than the 2702 line.  I don't care about cosmetic wobble but it would bother me if there is visible run out with a drill bit installed.

Ricky, do you have run out even with the drill bit installed?

When I was at the store, I looked at 3 Fuel 2 hammer drills on display. Put a drill bit into them and noticed that 2 had some noticeable chuck wobble with the drill bit. The third one was perfect with no visual chuck wobble with the drill bit. I actually checked out the 2702, the new compact brushless non-Fuel model, and noticed that the 4 on display all had noticeable chuck wobble with a drill bit installed. In addition, my buddy bought a 2702 and found that the chuck was binding a bit (stiff) out of the box. Milwaukee told him to exchange it. In terms of the chuck wobble I saw, Milwaukee also assured me that the Fuel line uses higher grade materials in their chucks with finer tolerances than the 2702 line. I don't care about cosmetic wobble but it would bother me if there is visible run out with a drill bit installed.

Ricky, do you have run out even with the drill bit installed?

I feel the same way about cosmetic wobble, yeah it's annoying but as long as that bit spins true that's what really matters. I'd keep taking it back until I had a one that didn't wobble.

• 2 weeks later...