What New Tools and Ideas Would You Guys Love to See Ego Add To Their Lineup of Tools

DR99

New tools I would defiantly love to see a cordless Snow Blower if EGO needs a beta tester I'm available in Michigan :) I did a beta for Nest recently on the new Nest 3.0 thermostat  :) I'm good at keeping secrets :)

A couple of tools off hand would be a hedge trimmer on a pole with an extension also add a tree pruner with that II would love not to have to climb a ladder to trim hedges, A leaf vacuum would be cool also. I don't really need it but I know some people would love one.

A battery powered pressure washer would be sweet I don't know how practical that would be. Actually I just though of this one but a decent wet dry style vacuum would be cool with the 56 volts power and with the 5 to 7.5 amp battery the run time would be pretty decent. Also a small power inverter to use it like a small generator at tail gates. I know some people want an actual edger with a blade over using a string trimmer that's a preference thing. Another thing I think people might like its a battery powered cultivator for small garden beds thats a tool where the gas powered version is a pain because the gas goes stale the carb gets gummed up and you can't start it when you need it. Also would be cool is a compressor/inflator one big enough to fill decent sized tires and maybe has enough power to run a trim nail guy even better if it ran a framing gun.  Man I had a whole list of ideas of tools I would like.

One last thing a tube extension for the leaf blower would be a big seller I think. People don't like climbing ladders and if it sold for 30/40 bucks I think people would buy it, or it it was included with the kit it would win a customer to ego from another brand.

Sorry EGO guys got a little carried over with this post I really do like the tools and its even better that your a Michigan Company :) it makes it even better :) That's why I try to support Tekton another Michigan tool brand, but don't worry they only do hand tools :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2015 at 8:33 PM, DR99 said:

New tools I would defiantly love to see a cordless Snow Blower if EGO needs a beta tester I'm available in Michigan :) I did a beta for Nest recently on the new Nest 3.0 thermostat  :) I'm good at keeping secrets :)

A couple of tools off hand would be a hedge trimmer on a pole with an extension also add a tree pruner with that II would love not to have to climb a ladder to trim hedges, A leaf vacuum would be cool also. I don't really need it but I know some people would love one.

A battery powered pressure washer would be sweet I don't know how practical that would be. Actually I just though of this one but a decent wet dry style vacuum would be cool with the 56 volts power and with the 5 to 7.5 amp battery the run time would be pretty decent. Also a small power inverter to use it like a small generator at tail gates. I know some people want an actual edger with a blade over using a string trimmer that's a preference thing. Another thing I think people might like its a battery powered cultivator for small garden beds thats a tool where the gas powered version is a pain because the gas goes stale the carb gets gummed up and you can't start it when you need it. Also would be cool is a compressor/inflator one big enough to fill decent sized tires and maybe has enough power to run a trim nail guy even better if it ran a framing gun.  Man I had a whole list of ideas of tools I would like.

One last thing a tube extension for the leaf blower would be a big seller I think. People don't like climbing ladders and if it sold for 30/40 bucks I think people would buy it, or it it was included with the kit it would win a customer to ego from another brand.

Sorry EGO guys got a little carried over with this post I really do like the tools and its even better that your a Michigan Company :) it makes it even better :) That's why I try to support Tekton another Michigan tool brand, but don't worry they only do hand tools :)

Many of those such as the pole saw, pole hedge trimmer and cultivator can and many times are made as attachments to string trimmers. Sadly IIRC the Ego string trimmer is not attachment capable. I have a Ryobi 40v string trimmer and the pole hedge trimmer attachment works great. If money and a need arises I plan to get the pole saw as well.

• 3 months later...

1) A string trimmer that has a detachable head so we can bolt on a brush cutter blade. Just like Bosch's 36v GFR 42 model does (see pics below)

2) Allow US customers to purchase the handlebar version of the Ego 56v 15" string trimmer

I've attached a few product pics below of the handlebar trimmer available from Ego UK site:

Web_2_EGO_Bike_Handle_String_Trimmer-1_large.png

Web_4_BC1500E_-Handle_large_69e39b43-89b5-4bcf-8b22-0dbbef6c3102_large.png

ego3.png

ego4.png

ego5.png

Bosch 36v Battery Powered string trimmer with removable head (Not currently sold in the US)

bosch.png

bosch2.png

bosch3.png

bosch4.png

bosch5.png

• Like 2

Could be. I've reached out to their media contact to see if I can get some additional information. I'm holding off on the purchase for now. I'm about there with Ego. The value proposition is just too great compared to the currently available options.

I REALLY need the ability to use a brushcutter blade. I have thick weedy growth along a creekbed that requires constant attention during summer months. I'm curious if the Ego head comes off similar to the Bosch? If so, it may be possible to bolt a blade on there (understanding it may void warranty and all that).

Has anyone dissasembled the head to see if the shaft assembly looks similar to the bosch pics I posted above?

I have the old brushed string trimmer from Ego. It's probably the tool I like the least from them for one reason they didn't put a variable speed trigger of it. That's an annoyance for me because you lack some finesse. I never took apart my string trimmer anymore than to replace string. When I have the chance I can snap some pictures this weekend if I have the chance Scott.

Another difference between the North American version and the models available elsewhere. The 15" brushless straight shaft trimmer comes with a green quick release lever on the handle along with a shoulder strap. I'd like to be able to have that quick release for my son and I to work together on projects without having to pull out the toolbox to simply change the handle position. The quick release rocks.

I understand the strap can be ordered online through Grainger.com. Oddly, not available through Ego.

There's a few YouTube videos with the guys from Oz Talk Reviews in which you can see both of these features that don't show up on the US models.

ego6.png

EgoTrimmerHandlw-700x700.jpg

ego-trimmer-strap.jpg

The other weird thing is 15" brushless trimmer they sell here has 2 versions. The one that folds in the middle for shipping and you have to assemble or one that has a solid aluminum tube. That one is surpising because you would think doing it one way would be cheaper. I wonder if retailers requested that design because a long shaft string trimmer is difficult to ship.

Yep. Also interesting that the Amazon versions you are referring come with different battery configurations. The "split" shaft comes with a 2Ah battery while the "straight" shaft comes with a 2.5Ah battery.

Unfortunately, Home Depot only carries the split shaft version - I'd prefer a solid shaft, the HD version does come with the 2.5Ah battery. I'm fairly certain that HD exerts leverage on Ego for what they think they can sell and at what price point. That may explain the different configuration from that available on Amazon.com

Either these are brand new, just released products, or Ego does a terrible job at marketing and promotion of new products (or both) or for some reason they don't wish to sell these products to the US market. Their product strategy and positioning is a bit puzzling. Obviously these are fully developed products as they are currently available outside the US.

Why they would embargo some of their key products from the world's largest economy is a bit unclear. - perhaps they are in soft beta, limited release to test the waters outside the US market. However, the decision not to include the quick release handle and the shoulder strap on the string trimmer are pretty obvious cost cutting measures for the US market - perhaps forced by Home Depot to get the units below the $200 price point.

These products, the upgraded string trimmer with features missing from the US versions, the backpack battery unit and the bike handlebar trimmer would be differentiating products that would further set them apart in this competitive marketplace. But hardly no one in the US knows they exist.

I think these are very recently released tools, or new product announcements. If they are not Ego must have a reason not to sell them in the USA for some reason yet or at all.  It's mid summer so Ego might be waiting till fall to launch new SKU's, or they need time to ramp up production and logistics to support sales in North America its all conjecture from me though but its not uncommon for Europe to be a beta test for new tools Deawalt sold their cordless framing nailer for about a year in Europe before they sold it in the states.

It's weird but its not uncommon for some tools not to make it to the USA for some reason or another. Bosch is known for taking a long time to bring certain tools to North America or not at all. When people talk about Bosh NINA comes up a bunch.

Good info. It makes sense. I'm pretty sure the handlebar trimmer and the backpack battery pack unit are new. I couldn't find anything at all about them available online short of the trade catalogue pics I referenced. Not even an Ego press release, so what you say is probably the best explanation.

They don't appear in any Youtube videos that I'm able to find, so either no one has reviewed them or had a chance to post reviews as of yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2016 at 11:11 AM, Scott B said:

Either these are brand new, just released products, or Ego does a terrible job at marketing and promotion of new products (or both) or for some reason they don't wish to sell these products to the US market. Their product strategy and positioning is a bit puzzling. Obviously these are fully developed products as they are currently available outside the US.

Why they would embargo some of their key products from the world's largest economy is a bit unclear. - perhaps they are in soft beta, limited release to test the waters outside the US market. However, the decision not to include the quick release handle and the shoulder strap on the string trimmer are pretty obvious cost cutting measures for the US market - perhaps forced by Home Depot to get the units below the $200 price point.

These products, the upgraded string trimmer with features missing from the US versions, the backpack battery unit and the bike handlebar trimmer would be differentiating products that would further set them apart in this competitive marketplace. But hardly no one in the US knows they exist.

I know what you mean. Ryobi makes a 40v blower that is also a vacuum. Sadly it is only available in Australia and Europe. I would commit unspeakable acts to be able to buy one of those.

On 6/24/2016 at 3:48 PM, DR99 said:

I think these are very recently released tools, or new product announcements. If they are not Ego must have a reason not to sell them in the USA for some reason yet or at all.  It's mid summer so Ego might be waiting till fall to launch new SKU's, or they need time to ramp up production and logistics to support sales in North America its all conjecture from me though but its not uncommon for Europe to be a beta test for new tools Deawalt sold their cordless framing nailer for about a year in Europe before they sold it in the states.

It's weird but its not uncommon for some tools not to make it to the USA for some reason or another. Bosch is known for taking a long time to bring certain tools to North America or not at all. When people talk about Bosh NINA comes up a bunch.

It would make sense for companies like Bosh since they are from Europe, but Ego is an American company. One would assume that they would release stuff in their home market first. 

• 2 months later...

Well we demoed an EGO mower, trimmer, and blower today for our duplex lawn. Wow!! Light, quiet, plenty of power...it is nice stuff. We ordered all three and should have them next week. We found a local dealer that brought everything to us to try out. I will post up some pics and thoughts on them once we use them for a bit. These will be perfect for that yard and because there isn't any fuel we can store them inside the mechanical room and not worry about fumes or fire.

If they had a lawn edger I would look real hard at that. We may add the new snowblower this winter after a demo. 

Still giving a hard look at Ego OPE. The cordless mower and snowblower just make me shake my head at Dewalt and Milwaukee, etc. Until they have at least a mower I'll never see their OPE as more than "also ran". Especially M18 9.0. Their 9.0 costs have the price of an Ego mower kit :lol:.

Ego's line is looking so thorough at this point I don't even know what to suggest to expand upon it. 

• Like 1

I was glad a dealer was close. It was nice to be able to demo all the tools before buying. He was great and threw in a few extra consumables that online wouldn't be able to. Plus he fills all the warranty papaerwork out and handles any issues. Crazy how far tech has come to allow things like this!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, overanalyze said:

I was glad a dealer was close. It was nice to be able to demo all the tools before buying. He was great and threw in a few extra consumables that online wouldn't be able to. Plus he fills all the warranty papaerwork out and handles any issues. Crazy how far tech has come to allow things like this!

I had no idea that Ego had any sort of dealers like that.

I had no idea that Ego had any sort of dealers like that.

I didn't either. I did a search through their website and a few semi local places came up. I called 1 and they didn't stock anything. The second one was very positive and responsive. Small business owner...my favorite!