Veteran Discounts

Petro0311

• 2 weeks later...

Read that there is a Sears Veterans day sale this weekend, 40% off of regular price and 10% sale price. There's a caveat though, you must present military id. I'm unsure if it has to be valid, I doubt they'll kick a veteran out for using an expired id but your mileage may vary. Good luck gentlemen! :)

Sears is pretty good with these things. I have a young guy that gives me 15% year round. All the stores have really cracked down though, at least by me. There was a time I could walk in with my DD214 which is just a piece of paper. Now I have to show my legit Veteran ID and they now check to see if it says "service connected" on it.

• 5 months later...
On November 7, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Petro0311 said:

Sears is pretty good with these things. I have a young guy that gives me 15% year round. All the stores have really cracked down though, at least by me. There was a time I could walk in with my DD214 which is just a piece of paper. Now I have to show my legit Veteran ID and they now check to see if it says "service connected" on it.

I have run into this problem at Home Depot. They have accepted my old I.d. the last few times but said they are cracking down and as you said the I.d. Will have to say "service connected". The va came out with some new kind of I.d. now that they didn't have when I originally got mine so I'll have to go and get the new one. A tip if you have to do this though is to say you lost your old one not that you need to upgrade to the new one. If you say you lost yours they can get you one in a couple weeks, if you tell them you need to upgrade your existing one to the new I.d. You'll be put at the end of a very long list. Also bring a form of secondary I.d. to the va with you! I hope that makes sense

• Like 1

On 11/8/2015 at 8:47 AM, Sarbatche said:

Home Depot is drastically reducing what inventory they'll give a discount on. Lumber, plumbing, and electrical wire are all out. As well as anything already with a promotion. Lowes, however, gives 10% off everything.

I have heard rumors also that HD is cracking down on discounts.

• 3 months later...

Sadly, lowes is cracking down on discounts as well, you cannot have your DL, DD papers only your ID active, base id, spouse ID military ID. Too many people have been scamming, Some people get angry with lowe's and home depot but they're only protecting themselves its really the scum out there that they should be angry with. Home depot you have to pretty much demand a discount at lowes its every day.

• 9 months later...

All veterans are able to register at vetverify.organization or .com don't remember. This will enable them to use the online exchange. This is live now for some vets. Will go live for all vets in November 

@Eric - TIA If you create an account online with Lowes, you can fill out a form to verify your vet status and apply the discount to online orders with them once it is approved, and for in store purchases all it requires is your phone number tied to the account.

• 5 years later...

Reviving this thread for updates to Lowe's and Home Depot.  We don't have Menards around here, but do have Stine, so I'll add info about them.

Basically, all three big box home improvement stores in my area offer the 10% discount.  Since the last post, both Lowe's and Home Depot add the discount to online orders.  Lowe's uses ID.me while Home Depot uses SheerID to verify military service.  Neither is supposed to accept IDs anymore, so registration is required for both online and in-store discounts.  Thank the Stolen Valor types and similar people for that.  

When shopping in store, simply pull up the app or website, log in, and get ready to scan.  Lowe's uses a barcode linked to your MyLowes card but cashiers can use a phone number.  Home Depot uses a QR code that expires after some time (I've had to refresh it when it pull it up too soon) and I'm unsure of whether or not they can use a number.  Both stores automatically apply the discount for online purchases.  

As for Stine, they also offer 10% off to military and veterans.  I found out that this works in reverse for clearance items, though.  I found some folding chairs that were normally $28 and on clearance for $7.  Bought a few of them and had a $50-ish total.  Applied the discount and that jumped to $160 or so.  The cashier was confused, so I asked her to remove the discount and the price reverted to its original clearance price.

Thanks for the update, I never knew how you can not use the card anymore, which is crazy.  I hate those stolen valor a-holes.  It makes me sick the way this country is going.  Those people need to be dealt with along with some of the other people in this country and how they are tearing it down but that is for another thread.  That stinks about the cards.  My neighbor is older and he goes to HD.  I am sure it is going to be a pain for people like him trying to set it up, hopefully it is easy.

• Like 1

The process is fairly easy, and once enrolled it streamlines the checkout process while helping to reduce fraudulent discounts.  There is info both in-store and online, and once the third-party verifying site is accessed, it's a simple process of uploading pictures of a valid military or veteran ID.  The sites use whatever info they have access to to verify veteran status and usually within a minute or two you're good to go.  I'm not too familiar with SheerID, but some government systems like the VA use ID.me.  

I mentioned streamlining the checkout process, but I can imagine this system also reduces some stress for cashiers while also complementing the self-checkouts that are prevalent nowadays.  Fake or altered IDs might make it past the cashier, while some cashiers may take it upon themselves to give the discount to anyone who asks.  Before they switched over around 2018 or so, I noticed more and more Lowe's requiring manager overrides for discounts.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jimjs7434584
    Newest Member
    jimjs7434584