What are your favorite phillips power bits?

BMack37

I've been trying to find some bits I really liked, so far the favorite is the Bosch ribbed for her pleasure bits. I have several bits I'm going to test incoming, in all the bits I either already have used of will use include: Bosch, Milwaukee(1st gen), Irwin, Makita(though not extensive use), Wiha(incoming), Wera(3 different incoming), Felo(incoming). I haven't used Dewalt, Apex or Zephyr but I've heard good things about all three. I just want a good resource of what everyone's favorite bits are, where you can find them and why they're your preferred bit. There's a huge selection so please be specific, I'm sure we can all learn something from our fellow forum members. So...

1) What are your favorite bits? Make + model/series?

2) Do you like Anti-cam out style bits?

3) Where do you get your bits?

• Like 1

Currently my favorite bit is Bosch, I've been using them for a while but I wished they fit a little better and the steel was a bit harder. They do hold the screw well but it seems that the ribs lessen the contact area so they're more prone to cam out at high torque. You can get these at Lowe's, Amazon, eBay.

The Milwaukee 1st gen Shockwave bits are just awful, the fit isn't very good, the steel is soft. Literally every single one I've handled has been bent out of the box. Just don't get them, 2nd gen can be had at Home Depot.

Makita, good fit but nothing really stood out. I can't remember where I got these.

Kobalt, this one I need to test more. I owned a bit for about a three days before i decided to return the quick release system the bits came with in favor of the Bosch quick release(which is a lot nicer). The bits felt really good, seemed to fit very well but I didn't use them a lot because I was considering returning the set. They felt very dense. I'm not sure if they are impact rated.

I just loaded up on the Germany made bits Felo, Wiha and Wera from KC Tools.

When I'm choosing bits it's the gold makita ones.  Like you said, not outstanding, just good bits which is all I really want.  I've lost some and broken off screw heads but never damaged a bit.

Maybe others like ribbed or diamond coated are better, but the makita bits work well enough and are cheap enough I don't see a point in looking for different bits.

I've used plenty of other bit types when they're available on site and nothing seemed to work any better.

I like Dewalt max fit bits. They come with a yellow magnetic sleeve for reducing wobble on your impacts. Very durable bits and they seat very nicely in screws. The only place I have ever found these are at Home Depot. I've used other dewalts, craftsman, shockwave gen 1, and other nameless brands and nothing lasts like these guys do. Never used any Irwin or Bosch but after I found these I kind of stopped looking.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use a plane Jane Bosch 1" bits, no special impact rating or anything.. They had 25pks at Lowes if I remember. They held up surprisingly well, much better than all other brands I had used at the time. now I buy mostly Makita Gold usually just from home depot and they are great!

I picked up a Dewalt MaxFit and ordered Blue Point bits to add to the test group. I will post my results but it will take a looong time, so that's why this is my first time mentioning it...these results will be like a year from now. I will post fit and comparison photos by early next week when all the bits are in. The only ones I think I'm missing is Apex, Zephyr and PB Swiss but the shipping rates are killing me. Maybe by the end of the sampling I will pick some of those up, seems like PB Swiss is going to have to come from Japan. Apex and Zephyr is a minimum $50 order and $10+ shipping. I believe I have Zephyr covered with the Blue Point bits but I'll have to do some more research to confirm.

i'd like to add Makita gold bits to the group but I need a 3-4 inch bit and their 3.5" bit is a double-sided phillips and I've never been a fan of double sided, they tend to wobble.

• Like 1

i have always used bosch Titainium p2 bits 1" they rarely snap off and last a while. Lowes stopped carrying them, but i loaded up on them from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-TDP2108-Titanium-Phillip-Screwdriver/dp/B00A43UERM

To quote a movie that I don't recall with that guy that is married to Kristen Bell "She may be ugly but at least she puts out"

I just checked, and all the long bits I could find have about 1mm of play including Makita double ended. I noticed on the Makita bits, the drive head is ground right out of the hexagonal stock rather than turning it down to a smaller circle first, which probably explains the better grip over most double ended bits.  I also just noticed my PH3 has a thicker torsion zone than the PH2, probably to give more impact to larger fasteners.  They definitely put some engineering into those bits.

The makita gold ones is pretty good. Haven't been able to break/shatter the head, and they don't wear down very quickly.

However, I'm able to warp/bend the "fins" on the Torx head with the impact driver. The philips head is just fine though.

The bosch diamond bits kinda fits/sticks better, and is also very good, if not even better. But have not tested them too long, too know if the 'diamond' layer will stick in the long run.

• Like 1

I really don't want to even bother to be honest. That Shockwave is there just so I can compare the fit and physically show the difference between that and a quality bit. There are guys using these by choice and I want to show them why they could get better for their money. That may change as time goes on as I hear about whether the new Shockwaves are actually improved, it will be a long term test so there will be time. For the short term, I'll show and go into detail of the fit (JIS and Phillips) and the various differences. Too many bits and not enough people(just me) to test them quickly but why not get good images and initial impressions? They all look the same with stock photos. It's interesting to see the differences in the anti-cam out ribs, complete opposite way to accomplish the same idea between competing German manufactures.

Some of these German bits are machined ridiculously well for the price, AND some of them were cheaper than the Dewalt bit by over a dollar a piece! Though of the German bits were more expensive, that Harpoon bit with the anti-cam ribs were $6.50 a piece! Nice machining but I find it hard to believe that it's nearly three times better than the Dewalt...I really don't imagine these will hold up too well.

Bmack, that wera to the right of the Irwin looks crazy!! It looks like it should be a #1 or #0 bit instead of a #2 with how thin that shank is.

I'm curious to see how it holds up.. I would think you would loose a lot of torque to to torsional movement of that thin shank, maybe even premature snapping of the shank.. Humm. Interesting none the less!

• Like 1