What are your favorite phillips power bits?

BMack37

Nope. I would guess theese are first gen. At least they were bought half a year ago, and probably been at the shop for some time.

So nothing new, and I have seen you guys have pretty much agreed on it beeing pretty bad. Just didn't think it was this bad, and that you had been to rough/exagerrated it a little. I actually though the bits was okay. Untill now. :P

The new ones have red on the shank, similar to how Dewalt uses yellow. But yeah, the new ones are less than three months old(In the US, not sure about Norway) so you're definitely right in your assumption :)

It's really hard to trust Milwaukee bits after the first shockwave, there are a lot of things to complain about but the softness of the steel really makes you question any bits coming out of that factory. The general consensus on Milwaukee's pliers are along the same lines but not as extreme.

• 2 weeks later...

The more bits I use the more I find that Dewalt, Bosch and other big name, easy to find brands are just serviceable bits. The Europeans and even some high quality Taiwan bits are on a whole different level of quality and live a longer life...though they are more expensive. I'm sure the US-made bits are also very good but they're even more expensive.

Though in the case of these: http://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-phillips-contractor-insert-bit-2-30-piece-p/72522.htmcurrently they're actually cheaper than the Dewalt Maxfit and both are impact rated. Though Wiha has this guy which is significantly more expensive: http://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-phillips-terminator-impact-bit-2-x-29mm-2pk-p/76802.htm (If you plan on ordering some to try out, shipping to me for something like this plus some add-ons is about $5-6, free shipping at $50)

I'm currently waiting on my Swiss bits to show up...but these are expensive as hell.

The more bits I use the more I find that Dewalt, Bosch and other big name, easy to find brands are just serviceable bits. The Europeans and even some high quality Taiwan bits are on a whole different level of quality and live a longer life...though they are more expensive. I'm sure the US-made bits are also very good but they're even more expensive.

Though in the case of these: http://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-phillips-contractor-insert-bit-2-30-piece-p/72522.htmcurrently they're actually cheaper than the Dewalt Maxfit and both are impact rated. Though Wiha has this guy which is significantly more expensive: http://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-phillips-terminator-impact-bit-2-x-29mm-2pk-p/76802.htm (If you plan on ordering some to try out, shipping to me for something like this plus some add-ons is about $5-6, free shipping at $50)

I'm currently waiting on my Swiss bits to show up...but these are expensive as hell.

The ones I scored at HD were the terminator ones, I love them things.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PB Swiss?  Yeah dude they are pricey.    I have some non terminator Wiha bits that are pretty good. The Terminators I wanna get some time. I have several Dewalt FlexTorq kits I like even thou they are kinda soft tipped. My Bosch ones i gave to my kids for their kit.

• Like 1

PB Swiss? Yeah dude they are pricey. I have some non terminator Wiha bits that are pretty good. The Terminators I wanna get some time. I have several Dewalt FlexTorq kits I like even thou they are kinda soft tipped. My Bosch ones i gave to my kids for their kit.

I have the flex torq and the max fit and I like the max fit 100 times better

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You can actually see the quality difference through the packaging. I previously avoided Dewalt bits because I saw the poor quality of the machining on the Flex Torq. I'm starting to like Felo quite a bit right now, not just their bits...all of the items I have bought from Felo is very high quality. Their larger bits are a bit pricey though. 

Felo makes some really nice stuff,their screwdrivers are awesome.  I have some Swiss made precision tools,they are so nice and smooth to use.

I bought one of the Felo screwdrivers, think I'm going to buy the rest of the set this month...they're fantastic. I don't know why more people don't talk about Felo, everyone is caught up on Wera and Wiha.

I might have to look at those PB Swiss precision, I like the look of the handles. I've been using a Stanley set buy they're starting to get worn. Also been looking at the Wiha set in the canvas roll.

I have 2 sets of Wiha precision screwdrivers,I use them pretty often actually for changing batteries in kids toys to tightening up our glasses and what not. I swapped alot of my screwdriver type tools to Wiha and Wera because they are easy to get from industrial suppliers that come to the shop, like Western tool and such. Also they are usually pretty good priced on Amazon. I like my Wera kraftforms too.

• Like 1

Picked up a shockwave 2 kit at HD for cheap to give it a try.

They aren't too bad, big improvement from the gen 1. Driving screws they grip well, I wasn't using an imply but a drill. I didn't strip anything driving in. They struggled on removing the screws though. Using the same drill they didn't want to bite into the screw as well as driving them. I had a little bit of stripping the head and some shavings, the bits are harder than the previous ones though.

Overall they aren't bad, not as nice as them wiha terminators though, sadly my bar for bits is a lot higher now.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they're are machined like the old ones, that problem may be that they are JIS and not phillips. JIS is a little loose in a phillips head screw so it cams out under high torque.

...and Comp, I wish everything I dealt with every day was Robertsons, I hate phillips head.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally bit the bullet and bought some of the Gen II Milwaukee bits...not very happy with them again. First, all five bits are warped/bent(not going to be an issue on 1" bits), machining/quality control is not very good. Metal still seems softer than the Japanese/Taiwan/German/Czech bits.

Here's a pic of the quality control, notice the cut of the heads are different depths and finish in different spots. Some of these fit in screws better than others.

jFkKNta.jpg

Here's a comparison of the head difference in the first gen versus the second gen:

a7D0EmU.jpg

Bought the Kobalt bit. It's not impact rated but this is a really nice bit, my initial impression of it in-store was pretty high...looked to be machined well, it is. Best fitment of any Chinese bit I've tried, closest comparison is the Dewalt Maxfit bits. No comment to durability yet but the metal sure seems more dense than the other Chinese bits. We'll see...

ma378RI.jpg

1U3PWY9.jpg

Bought the Kobalt bit. It's not impact rated but this is a really nice bit, my initial impression of it in-store was pretty high...looked to be machined well, it is. Best fitment of any Chinese bit I've tried, closest comparison is the Dewalt Maxfit bits. No comment to durability yet but the metal sure seems more dense than the other Chinese bits. We'll see...

ma378RI.jpg

1U3PWY9.jpg

I have been impressed with the Kobalt's.

• Like 1

I picked up a Dewalt MaxFit and ordered Blue Point bits to add to the test group. I will post my results but it will take a looong time, so that's why this is my first time mentioning it...these results will be like a year from now. I will post fit and comparison photos by early next week when all the bits are in. The only ones I think I'm missing is Apex, Zephyr and PB Swiss but the shipping rates are killing me. Maybe by the end of the sampling I will pick some of those up, seems like PB Swiss is going to have to come from Japan. Apex and Zephyr is a minimum $50 order and $10+ shipping. I believe I have Zephyr covered with the Blue Point bits but I'll have to do some more research to confirm.

i'd like to add Makita gold bits to the group but I need a 3-4 inch bit and their 3.5" bit is a double-sided phillips and I've never been a fan of double sided, they tend to wobble.

Awesome really looking forward to reading the results of yourself and others as they come in.

Thanks for the in depth analysis of all these bits everyone!

Probably 80% of my work I use 1/4" hex nut driver, then 5/16" nut driver, and maybe 3/8" and torx here and there.

Been looking at the Milwaukee shockwave bits (being the Milwaukee nut that I am) but I'm not going to now. Really want to check out the Wera bits tho for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I definitely recommend staying away from the Shockwaves, at HD I'd tell you to buy the Dewalt Maxfit if you're buying the bulk 1" bits and if you're buying for longevity, buy Makita(just my opinion).

I ordered a couple more bit brands, Toptul(Taiwan) and Vermont America Deckster(USA), both have anti-cam out ribs. Vermont America also offers an "Ice bit" which is claimed to be "Super toughened" that I may add, depending on the quality of the Deckster bits. I was under the impression that Vermont America moved all their production overseas when they were acquired by Bosch and heard the quality went downhill so I had avoided buying them earlier.

If they're are machined like the old ones, that problem may be that they are JIS and not phillips. JIS is a little loose in a phillips head screw so it cams out under high torque.

...and Comp, I wish everything I dealt with every day was Robertsons, I hate phillips head.

The troubles of being American. Finally in the past few years better drive styles have taken off. I see more options at big box stores than ever. You still see a crap load of Phillips bits though

• Like 1

yup pretty much only use robertson #2 in fact if the Kreg screws were not #2 robertson probably wouldn't be using them either....

I do have to mention i like using the round shank bits in case I'm up against finished wood so it doesn't mark as much

zzzr2.jpg